Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 08:58 AM

857 posts, read 2,003,166 times

Advertisements

Open Left:: Red-State moochers: States' returns on federal taxes favor those who complain the most

Funny - all the nutty teabaggers upset about "government spending". They spend the least and get the most. For those of you that won't READ the article (i know that can be a challenge for some of you). Here's a nice pretty picture:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 09:06 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,060,763 times
Remember the great hypocrisy "Do what I say, not what I do".

I still love the nutter Bachmann who thinks there should be nearly no taxes, and no government payments for any reason, which doesn't bother her taking a quarter million in those payments.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:10 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,985,890 times
I've always advocated Democrats crafting up legislation that would allow these Red States to keep their own collected Federal income tax. You can even lower if you want because it's all yours to keep. In return we are not going to spend any Federal tax Dollars in your State OK?

Those poor dumfounded hypocrites wouldn't know what to do....lol

Eat their words or suffer in their "independece".

Old 06-02-2010, 09:12 AM

716 posts, read 1,120,177 times
I'll be the devil's advocate for a minute. Many of those states have low population densities, low cost of living, and lower average income. So they can't generate as much tax revenue as states like New York or California, but it still costs them roughly the same amount to maintain their infrastructure. So basically, that's how the system is supposed to work. When you pay federal taxes, there is no guarantee they are coming back to your state, they go to who needs them.

That being said, the hypocrisy bothers me too.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:15 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,774,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
I've always advocated Democrats crafting up legislation that would allow these Red States to keep their own collected Federal income tax. You can even lower if you want because it's all yours to keep. In return we are not going to spend any Federal tax Dollars in your State OK?

Hell no! If not for the farm subsidies, military bases and the FAA traning center in Oklahoma, the place would dry up and die.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:17 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,214,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post

Many of those states are agricultural states and vast amounts of money are spent shoring up that industry. You can bet the farm those states would feed themselves first before shipping any excess produce off to the east and west coasts. Or the oil either.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:17 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,774,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatwoods View Post
I'll be the devil's advocate for a minute. Many of those states have low population densities, low cost of living, and lower average income. So they can't generate as much tax revenue as states like New York or California, but it still costs them roughly the same amount to maintain their infrastructure. So basically, that's how the system is supposed to work. When you pay federal taxes, there is no guarantee they are coming back to your state, they go to who needs them.

That being said, the hypocrisy bothers me too.

I agree with that. I don't mind my taxes going to another state that is poorer. I do mind it when they gripe about THEIR taxes going to mine.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:21 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,985,890 times
I know that all too well. I own land in Oklahoma. It's one of the poorest white counties in all the US. Only the West Virginians are poorer. Meth labs scattered about. Over half the town on welfare and kids on free lunch programs. These poor souls don't even have the IQ to vote in their own best interest. Believing all the B.S. they hear in their transistor AM radios, or at the Church of Christ or Assemby of God.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:23 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Colorado voted for Obama.

Obama First Dem To Win Colorado In 16 Years - Politics News Story - KMGH Denver

Old 06-02-2010, 09:28 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,036,805 times
If you are going to go through this BS again, at least use recent data, not information from 6 years ago. The only state that receives a perfect 1 to 1 balance is Utah. It is a **** poor comparison to take a blue state like Virginia - which get $1.77 for every $1 it spends, for a deficit of $51 billion - and compare it to rural Wyoming, a state that gets $1.16 for every $1.00 in taxes, yet is only short by about $840 million. Oklahoma get $1.05 for every $1.00 in taxes, the deficit is only $1.5 billion. Blue Virginia is costing the federal government 34x as much money as red Oklahoma.

These numbers are from 2008, over $1.2 trillion in additional funds was distributed to the states in 2009 in the form of stimulus money and other emergency spending such as multiple unemployment extensions.

These are the only states that are balanced (within .1 of $1) as of the 2008 data:

Georgia
Oregon
Oklahoma
Pennsylvania
Utah
Nevada
New Hampshire
North Carolina
California

The red state with the best ratio is Nebraska, which only receives $0.74 for every $1.00 paid in taxes. (5th best)
The blue state with the best ratio is Delaware, which only receives $0.31 for every $1.00 paid in taxes. (Best ratio)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies