Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 10:09 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times

Advertisements

But if this is a School Policy, it is not to be broken. If this was not a school policy, then i believe the boy, has a fight. How can they allow, some things and some things are not allowed. They should be more clear, on what is acceptable to wear, and what is not. You don't know what is hiding under the burqua!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 10:14 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuendel View Post
Not really comparable, as he was suspended because of anti-gang policy, and not because of the religious background.

Repeat: the rosary beads are not allowed because of anti-gang policy, not because of their religious meaning.

Did you even bother to read the article?
yes i did.
its sort of like TSA.
the point is not how you dress the point is dont let
gangbangers and terrorists get on the plane.
k12 is full of them.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:16 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,068,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomcome1 View Post
This seems like many other cases to where a student was told to take off or put away...whatever is against school policy. As much as I hate to side with the school on this one, it seems pretty much open and shut. I am for religious freedom, but schools have a right to enforce their own rules and regs. I also see this as another "awakening" as to what is going on in America, from the school side and the student side......
Private schools yes, but not public schools. My son attends a private school and wears a uniform. He has to follow the dress code or get booted but we're talking about a publicly funded school.

I'm an Atheist myself but one of the fundamental reasons this nation was founded was freedom of religion. Any publicly funded institution must abide. While I really don't want to see religion taught in public schools, I don't want it suppressed or repressed either.

If the cops were out arresting gang members to begin with, this wouldn't even be an issue.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:27 AM

3,135 posts, read 3,781,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Who pays for the school?

I would agree with you if its a private school but public school is another thing.
I understand your thinking, just think a school(any school) has a right to enforce their rules and regs(as set up by their board or by the state). I know my father(grad of '60) has told me time and time again how schools used to enforce the, "no carrying of pick combs". These were public scools for the most part. My school(public) made the carrying of a bandana against school policy. Anyone caught with one would be sent home(and many did).

Old 06-03-2010, 10:27 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
Private schools yes, but not public schools. My son attends a private school and wears a uniform. He has to follow the dress code or get booted but we're talking about a publicly funded school.

I'm an Atheist myself but one of the fundamental reasons this nation was founded was freedom of religion. Any publicly funded institution must abide. While I really don't want to see religion taught in public schools, I don't want it suppressed or repressed either.

If the cops were out arresting gang members to begin with, this wouldn't even be an issue.
Unfortunately, the gang members have taken over the symbol and it means something different now. I had a friend who wore a swastika fairly consistently because she is a Buddhist. She ALWAYS kept it hidden in her shirt because of the unfortunate 'nazi' connotation.

Bad guys like corrupting good symbols.

The kid should wear it underneath his shirt if he really wants to wear it. I doubt that would bother anyone.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:41 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,068,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Unfortunately, the gang members have taken over the symbol and it means something different now. I had a friend who wore a swastika fairly consistently because she is a Buddhist. She ALWAYS kept it hidden in her shirt because of the unfortunate 'nazi' connotation.

Bad guys like corrupting good symbols.

The kid should wear it underneath his shirt if he really wants to wear it. I doubt that would bother anyone.

Though a devout atheist, I was raised a Catholic. To a Catholic (and there's a little more than a billion of them) the beads have the same meaning and purpose they have for centuries. Is it right to repress the beliefs of over a billion people because a few criminals like to wear religious symbols as jewelry?

Old 06-03-2010, 10:53 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Though a devout atheist, I was raised a Catholic. To a Catholic (and there's a little more than a billion of them) the beads have the same meaning and purpose they have for centuries. Is it right to repress the beliefs of over a billion people because a few criminals like to wear religious symbols as jewelry?
It's the same thing with the Swastika. It's been used as a religious symbol FAR longer than the Christian Cross, but a bunch of a-holes ruined it. The same thing is happening to the rosary.

Nobody is repressing belief.... why can't he wear it inside his shirt? Why does he have to proclaim his religious belief to everyone around him? He could just as easily wear it inside his shirt and have his religious charm with him at all times, no biggie. I have plenty of religious friends and they don't have to let everyone know what they believe... nobody is stopping that kid from believing or being a practicing Catholic.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:55 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:

It is a school first, not a religious or political institution. They are bound to have rules. If we start talking about bill of rights, then we might as well get used to seeing kids carry guns into school.

I studied in a catholic school, and had to abide by strict dress code. I liked it. There was greater focus on the task at hand (education) than pissing contest of different kinds.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:03 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner71 View Post
3 times? I think the boy is just being an ass and pushing his luck.
Hmm, his little brother was clutching them when he died, apparently.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:05 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
No one is repressing this young man's beliefs. Or anyone else's beliefs.

The school is enforcing a dress code rule because they want to minimize the chances of violence happening on school property, and innocent students being hurt.

Is this young man attending school, where the purpose is his education, or is he attending grief counseling? While I sympathize with him because of his loss, I don't understand what he is losing if the school doesn't permit him to display his rosary beads. Why is displaying the beads comforting?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies