Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 11:23 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,200,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Not really, unless you zombie lefties do it because the rest of us, are supposedly all racist tea bagging astroturf obstructionist wing nuts who listen to Beck, Limbaugh and Fox News and and don't do anything the President says.
What does the president say to do, LauraC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 02:29 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,143,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Bad idea.

Who gets to decide what is a lie or the truth, let alone a distortion?

Whatever your political view, do you want the government in some form deciding these questions?

Did Israel kill innocent civilians in its raid on the humanitarian aid flotilla?

Did Ratzinger try to suppress reports of child rape by Catholic priests?

Did Obama side with Henry Louis Gates in his confrontation with the police because he's a black racist who hates white cops?

Did Jim Joyce blow that call last night because he's a racist?

You really want the government to make these decisions, and to punish anyone who publishes a contrary opinion? Before you go there, take a look at countries like North Korea, China, or Turkey, where people are routinely imprisoned for expressing opinions at variance with the government line.
You are mistaken. At what point did I even mention government involvement? The media should be held responsible for reporting the facts, and we should assume that the facts are the truth. Obviously, the truth unfolds as more facts become evident. The conclusions made from those facts should be ours, not the talking head on the television. It is up to us to connect the dots using all available resources. I would also hold anyone accountable (by making it a crime) to deny access to information. Secrets and lies are the oil that lubricates our corrupt system.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:16 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,071,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post

I have a solution. How about we outlaw all media that promotes or disseminates lies and distortions? .
That's not a solution. That's suppresion by a totalitarian regime who thinks some people know better than the rest of us about what's good or bad, right or wrong and thinks they have to take care of us/treat us like children. The Constitution protects us from people like that and people like the President and Congress swear to uphold the Constitution when they take office. How about giving people some credit for discerning right from wrong and picking a path for themselves?

Let me ask you a question, if the ratings for Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck, for example, were in the basement like Air America and MSNBC, would you all be wetting your pants over what they say? It seems to me, nobody gave a fig about Beck until he arrived at Fox News and racked up those numbers just like nobody cared what Barack Obama said when he was just another member of Congress. I don't think anyone thought of him as some kind of Congressional leader.

Also, you guys seem to think they lead us rather than give voice to our opinions and feelings but we don't say "You don't have a cogent thought in your head. Everything you think, Keith Olbermann, Janeanne Garafalo, Jon Stewart or Bill Maher tells you and you regurgitate it. They are your leaders." I, uh, had to go with more than two because together they don't have big audiences.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:26 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,913,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Did Glenn Beck tell me to watch that one? Naw, an old Army buddy sent it to me in an E-mail and I'll bet you haven't heard it clear through yet.

Now Beck did give a fine historical update about Israel and how it came about today that you should watch. Naw, you don't want to know about all that stuff when acting like you know is so much more fun.
There are other sources of the same information. Do you watch CNN? Rachel Maddow? It's a matter of personal preference.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:09 PM

11,762 posts, read 14,677,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
You are mistaken. At what point did I even mention government involvement?
Actually, you did:

Quote:
How about we outlaw all media that promotes or disseminates lies and distortions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies