Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 05:36 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,932,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The GOP needs to get back to its roots if it wants to start winning
Huh?

VA, NJ, MA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 06:09 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
Lincoln's Republican Party is not Bush's Republican Party. I would vote for Lincoln's party but never for Bush's.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:45 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,732,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Lincoln's Republican Party is not Bush's Republican Party. I would vote for Lincoln's party but never for Bush's.
Quite right. And Obama's Democrat Party is not JFK's Democrat Party. In fact, Bush's Republican Party is closer to JFK's Democrat Party than is the Obama/Pelosi/Reid/Frank/Dodd Democrat Party.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:10 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Winning requires propaganda. Propaganda doesn't need to be honest, just effective. In the short term, GOP does stand a good chance to win elections. Lies work.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:17 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,525,338 times
Default The GOP needs to get back to its roots if it wants to start winning

As a longtime GOP voter and contributor to the RNC, I feel qualified to weigh in on this issue.

The GOP made a fatal mistake back in the 1990's by getting into bed with the radical religious right. The irrational, angry, stubbornly wrong-headed character of the party in its current incarnation is a direct result of this unholy alliance.

I had voted strictly Republican from Nixon to Bush II, but until the GOP divests itself from this mob of lunatics, I'll vote against them at each opportunity.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:17 AM

9,888 posts, read 10,819,457 times
It appears the republicans are doing pretty well in elections right now, all this nonsense about the republican party being finished is just that.......nonsense. Republicans indeed did stray during the Bush years, simply by spending like democrats, right now they have the wind at their back if they get back to the cut spending and cut taxes message they will do well . Watch for Gingrich to lead that charge!

Old 06-04-2010, 09:20 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
stop getting dragging into wars, enforce the law (inc immigration) and austerity.
energy independence
read your own platform and do it we will come running.
one more thing ditch reaganomics, debt is not meaningless.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:21 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
I agree with you overall. I slightly disagree with you on the military complex issue, but do agree with you on the foreign aid issue. I support closing the borders to all immigrants of all nationalities for a period of time until we get our own house in order.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:44 AM

1,080 posts, read 2,268,041 times
Yes the GOP will win this time around simply because liberal/progressive policies are a piece of **** that don't do anything but when it's the GOP's time to lead again, they ain't going to get anything done if they keep on doing the same old stuff. They need to actually make real changes if they want to stay in power and not simply be the lesser of two evils.

Quote:
I remember Ross Perot's 1992 campaign and my older sister (who was 18) voting for him but the reality is free trade has worked out very well for the majority of us. Sure, if you had a low skill job which could be easily outsourced then you faced increased competition but if you're an educated person in a high skill job then there is no worries about a Mexican peasant with a 6th grade education replace us and we've benefited from much lower prices which is great economically for us. The lesson to learn here is don't be the low skills guy and qualify yourself for the high skill job.
No, free trade has worked out horribly for us. The reason we're stuck with this new Obama healthcare boondoogle is because all our good manufacturing jobs that caried health benefits and such have been outsourced. Because all the good jobs have been replaced with sucky service sector jobs all the lower skilled workers need to come begging to the government to get medical care which is going to put an insanely massive drain on our deficit and economy.

And it ain't just low-skilled jobs that are getting out-sourced. Boeing now engineers airplane and aerospace parts in Mexico. Tens of thousands of white collar jobs have been moved to India. Most computer chips and parts are now manufactured in Korea, China, and Japan. We import over ten cars for every one we export. Seriosuly, and people wonder why our economy is in shambles.

Free-trade is about the most liberal and harmful policy out there and for some reason both parties support it?

Quote:
I am not sure we can build a high enough wall around us, to keep us insulated from having to deal with the realities of international economies and policies. It's nice to think that we can artificially be immune to world problems, but reality has a way of biting you in the a$$.
Obviously we won't be immune to outside problems. I'm not arguing for complete isolationism. But we could certainly be much less exposed to the world's problems and be much more self-sufficient.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:28 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times
No i see it as, Politicians Either Party, need to start getting back on the side of us THE PEOPLE, and stop with doing what they think is right for their agendas. Man can't believe i am saying this, but they each have their own angle, and their own agendas, and sometimes, it's not for the better of we the people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies