Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 11:19 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,210,040 times

Advertisements

also right under the title is a box:

Please note: This draft does not represent final conclusions or recommendations by the Commission or FTC staff; it is solely for purposes of discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 09:17 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,227,189 times
Thankfully, this will likely never become law. Nevertheless, ideas like this one gets floated as well as other ideas from time to time about regulating and controlling what is allowed on the internet. Were it not for the internet, where one must go today for news not seen or heard on TV or radio, we would be spoon fed only what the MSM wants us to know. Same with talk radio and the idea of reinstating the Fairness Doctrine. The internet is the "wild west" of information. A lot of what is found there is unsubstantiated and one must sort through it all to get to the bottom of anything.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:21 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,129,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
It'll never pass.
I used to say "this close to 911 , the people will never vote for a man named Barack Hussein Obama".

Old 06-06-2010, 10:23 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,129,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocytus View Post
Sun Myung Moon still owns the Washington Times,doesn't he?
And that makes the paper essentially a house organ for the Unification Church .So hardly a useful or unbiased news outlet is it OP?
What ?

Old 06-06-2010, 10:32 AM

38,074 posts, read 22,234,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
The Federal Trade Commission, in a May 24, draft proposal, wants the federal government to overhaul journalism. They want to "save" traditional media by...wait for it, wait for it ...taxing consumer electronic devices (ipads, kindles, cellphones, laptops, etc.) that allow consumers to read the news online and they want to tax news aggregators like Google News, Drudge Report, Digg, Fark and Reddit. They think it will force us back to newspapers.

And how about this very scary idea being put forth -- they want to establish an AmeriCorps for reporters. Can we say government controlled media...how totalitarian can you get?

They also want to give news organizations tax exemptions which in my opinion, is to make them go along with the AmeriCorps government takeover. Take money from Tony Soprano and you are going to wind up returning the favor down the road because you will need their money to keep your operation afloat. It's going to be tempting to news organizations who are losing their shirts, these days.

There's more in the article:

EDITORIAL: FTC floats Drudge tax - Washington Times

This should scare the bleep out of people. I mean really, this is the scariest big government thing I've heard yet --- make a grab to control the media.

To be fair, I haven't heard/read that Obama and Congress are eager to jump on this FTC recommendation but who leaked it and is it a trial balloon to see how people react?
Yup, that is one of the stated purposes of the federal government. No, not the endorsement of religion, the endorsement of the press. All we need to worry about is the separation of church and state, not the separation of the press and state. /satire

Old 06-06-2010, 10:35 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,084,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Pharis View Post
I guess you haven't noticed that the media is already controlled.
I actually think reporters do what they do of their own volition. I don't think they're controlled by the government, yet. They would if they were subsidized by the feds.

The Washington Times is for sale. You can look it up.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:37 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,329,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
FTC Corrects Misinformation on Journalism Workshops and "Discussion Draft": Ideas are Compilation, not Recommendations from Agency

The Federal Trade Commission has hosted a series of workshops on the Future of Journalism: “How Will Journalism Survive the Internet Age?” ... On May 24, the FTC released a staff discussion draft in advance of the next workshop on June 15. The discussion draft collects proposals and public comments articulated during previous panel conversations and in reports and articles about the future of journalism. The staff discussion draft states:

“[T]hrough this document, we seek to prompt discussion of whether to recommend policy changes to support the ongoing reinvention of journalism, and, if so, which specific proposals appear most useful, feasible, platform-neutral, resistant to bias, and unlikely to cause unintended consequences in addressing emerging gaps in news coverage.”

The FTC has not endorsed the idea of making any policy recommendation or recommended any of the proposals in the discussion draft.

Recent press reports have erroneously stated that the FTC is supporting and proposing some of the public comments (for example, taxes on electronic devices, favoring one medium over another).
No matter how many times the truth is pointed out to them the right wing nuts will keep up the campaign of lies. They just can't live without their conspiracy theories.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:58 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,442,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymie View Post
I used to say "this close to 911 , the people will never vote for a man named Barack Hussein Obama".

That's completely irrelevant.

If something like this were to actually be proposed, it wouldn't just be citizens against it. Companies like Apple and Microsoft and Amazon would spend hundreds of millions to ensure it never passed.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:22 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,452,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post

FTC Corrects Misinformation on Journalism Workshops and "Discussion Draft": Ideas are Compilation, not Recommendations from Agency

The Federal Trade Commission has hosted a series of workshops on the Future of Journalism: “How Will Journalism Survive the Internet Age?” ... On May 24, the FTC released a staff discussion draft in advance of the next workshop on June 15. The discussion draft collects proposals and public comments articulated during previous panel conversations and in reports and articles about the future of journalism. The staff discussion draft states:

“[T]hrough this document, we seek to prompt discussion of whether to recommend policy changes to support the ongoing reinvention of journalism, and, if so, which specific proposals appear most useful, feasible, platform-neutral, resistant to bias, and unlikely to cause unintended consequences in addressing emerging gaps in news coverage.”

The FTC has not endorsed the idea of making any policy recommendation or recommended any of the proposals in the discussion draft.

Recent press reports have erroneously stated that the FTC is supporting and proposing some of the public comments (for example, taxes on electronic devices, favoring one medium over another).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post

No matter how many times the truth is pointed out to them the right wing nuts will keep up the campaign of lies. They just can't live without their conspiracy theories.
Or acknowledge and admit their errors.

The biggest problem I have with them is that they just glom onto anything they read that fits their world-view, regardless of the source. The idea of actually investigating it further is anathema to them. Given that these people can actually vote makes it truly frightening.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:05 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,848,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
The Federal Trade Commission, in a May 24, draft proposal, wants the federal government to overhaul journalism. They want to "save" traditional media by...wait for it, wait for it ...taxing consumer electronic devices (ipads, kindles, cellphones, laptops, etc.) that allow consumers to read the news online and they want to tax news aggregators like Google News, Drudge Report, Digg, Fark and Reddit. They think it will force us back to newspapers.

And how about this very scary idea being put forth -- they want to establish an AmeriCorps for reporters. Can we say government controlled media...how totalitarian can you get?

They also want to give news organizations tax exemptions which in my opinion, is to make them go along with the AmeriCorps government takeover. Take money from Tony Soprano and you are going to wind up returning the favor down the road because you will need their money to keep your operation afloat. It's going to be tempting to news organizations who are losing their shirts, these days.

There's more in the article:

EDITORIAL: FTC floats Drudge tax - Washington Times

This should scare the bleep out of people. I mean really, this is the scariest big government thing I've heard yet --- make a grab to control the media.

To be fair, I haven't heard/read that Obama and Congress are eager to jump on this FTC recommendation but who leaked it and is it a trial balloon to see how people react?
Make that thread read "Journalism AND Freedom" ...they would be very happy ...when you and i are... shut up ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies