Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 04:10 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
There are certain responsibilities the feds should be good at. One is protecting the borders and this spill is an example of another.

Right, and just as soon as some administration attempted to establish a Department of Every Possibly, Maybe. Could Be Contingency, that would be the DOEPMCBC, we'd hear every tin-foil hat wearing NeoConfused from coast to coastwhining about big government 'interference; and the squandering of taxpayer $$$.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 07:24 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,209,541 times
There are already so many threads about the oil spill that I didn't know where to post this and it doesn't deserve its own thread, so I went "eeny, meeny, miny, mo"......

This is purely FYI and you don't have to accept it as valid. I received an email today from my cousin whose husband is a helicopter pilot. They received this message in an email from a helicopter pilot friend of theirs. According to their friend, from what he sees, the magnitude of the damage by the oil spill is hyped and exaggerated by the media. FWIW here is what their pilot friend wrote:

"Hello All,

I have received several emails from friends and family asking about the oil spill. I had managed to avoid getting involved until last hitch. i came home last night from a 10 day hitch flying for BP from their base at Houma, La. They have 56 aircraft working the oil spill. I worked the Venice, La and the Grand Isle area where the president likes to visit. The news people have blown everything out of proportion and lots of untruths. The report that no one was cleaning up Grand Isle beach for one, Yesterday there was 200-300 men on the beach cleaning up what little oil was there.

I have been flying the Coast Guard around checking the bird sanctuaries. They are protected by booms that prevent oil getting on the small islands in the area. The famous pelican that was on all they news tv channels was on Queen Bess Island. it is the size of about two city blocks and had one spot of oil about 10 feet long. The stupid pelican decided to land in this spot. There are more there more than 10,000 birds nesting on this island and he is the only one with oil. Some area to the east are worse but not as bad as made out. The oil for the most part is still offshore. it will come onshore some time but BP is fighting with more than 300 boats cleaning and putting out booms. There are probably 50 million birds in southern Louisiana and 53 comfirmed dead, Not the thousands as reported.

I Know it will get worse but it irritates me at the news medias slanting of the news.

I noticed that when Obama came to town, he waved his arms but nothing improved. I guess he lost his majic touch.

I just wanted to pass along an eyewitness report., I dont know where I will be next hitch, but we are short senior Captains so probably back to the spill. If so I will update my report later"

Old 06-09-2010, 07:44 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Right, and just as soon as some administration attempted to establish a Department of Every Possibly, Maybe. Could Be Contingency, that would be the DOEPMCBC, we'd hear every tin-foil hat wearing NeoConfused from coast to coastwhining about big government 'interference; and the squandering of taxpayer $$$.
How many times must you be told - everything is already in place and has been for many years, since the Valdez spill.

The money, the plans, the procedures - already there, waiting to be implemented.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:47 AM

Quote:
How many times must you be told - everything is already in place and has been for many years, since the Valdez spill.

The money, the plans, the procedures - already there, waiting to be implemented.

Well, first I'd like to be told by an unbiased source, your history here clearly disqualifies you.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
Just out of curiosity, why should the feds be good at spills?

It it pretty easy to look back at the whole Katrina event and see ineptness, but, in truth, that was a weather created situation, an act of God if you will, like no other I have seen in my life. The feds do not often deal with flooded cities. God forbid it happens again, now the feds have some experience to base actions upon.
This oil drilling incident in the gulf was a horrible accident. An accident unprecedented. It is rather easy to sit back and claim incompetence from the sidelines, but I am not in the business of preventing oil rig disasters, and I am pretty sure the feds ain't either. There are companies out there that are actually in the business of cleaning up oil, and I am sure that they will be paid handsomely to clean this mess up.
Natural disasters and horrible accidents. Is it possible to be fully prepared for either? And at what cost?
The whole protecting the border issue is another thing all together. Considering our rather large borders, I think the feds are pretty good at this. We allow in plenty of cheap labor / voting demographics.
No one is talking about "preventing" the accident OR the issue of capping the well head - that is BP's responsibility.

But the federal government had over a month to get resources together and prepare for the inevitable onslaught of oil coming on shore. Obviously from various reports, there has been no urgency to make it happen.

2 weeks after the spill, Jindal was begging for more boom and wanting to build the berms to stop the oil from reaching the marshes and obama and his "team" had their heads up their a**es, stuck in analysis paralysis.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
There are already so many threads about the oil spill that I didn't know where to post this and it doesn't deserve its own thread, so I went "eeny, meeny, miny, mo"......

This is purely FYI and you don't have to accept it as valid. I received an email today from my cousin whose husband is a helicopter pilot. They received this message in an email from a helicopter pilot friend of theirs. According to their friend, from what he sees, the magnitude of the damage by the oil spill is hyped and exaggerated by the media. FWIW here is what their pilot friend wrote:

"Hello All,

I have received several emails from friends and family asking about the oil spill. I had managed to avoid getting involved until last hitch. i came home last night from a 10 day hitch flying for BP from their base at Houma, La. They have 56 aircraft working the oil spill. I worked the Venice, La and the Grand Isle area where the president likes to visit. The news people have blown everything out of proportion and lots of untruths. The report that no one was cleaning up Grand Isle beach for one, Yesterday there was 200-300 men on the beach cleaning up what little oil was there.

I have been flying the Coast Guard around checking the bird sanctuaries. They are protected by booms that prevent oil getting on the small islands in the area. The famous pelican that was on all they news tv channels was on Queen Bess Island. it is the size of about two city blocks and had one spot of oil about 10 feet long. The stupid pelican decided to land in this spot. There are more there more than 10,000 birds nesting on this island and he is the only one with oil. Some area to the east are worse but not as bad as made out. The oil for the most part is still offshore. it will come onshore some time but BP is fighting with more than 300 boats cleaning and putting out booms. There are probably 50 million birds in southern Louisiana and 53 comfirmed dead, Not the thousands as reported.

I Know it will get worse but it irritates me at the news medias slanting of the news.

I noticed that when Obama came to town, he waved his arms but nothing improved. I guess he lost his majic touch.

I just wanted to pass along an eyewitness report., I dont know where I will be next hitch, but we are short senior Captains so probably back to the spill. If so I will update my report later"

Interesting, he basically says things are hunky-dory, things are being done yet still attempts a slam at Obama.

Yeah, Yeah, I know. In many eyes:

Obama acts: Damn government interference!

Obama doesn't act: Damn idler!

Old 06-09-2010, 07:53 AM

Quote:

The one thing made very clear during this crisis is the right is bi-polar.

One pole being: "How dare government get involved. How dare government attempt regulation of private enterprise. How dare government propose using taxpayer $$$ to aid taxpayers"

The other being: "Free enterprise is affecting MY life. WHY isn't government here immediately helping ME, ME, ME?"

Old 06-09-2010, 07:53 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,209,541 times
Quote:
Interesting, he basically says things are hunky-dory, things are being done yet still attempts a slam at Obama.

Yeah, Yeah, I know. In many eyes:

Obama acts: Damn government interference!

Obama doesn't act: Damn idler!
Like I said...."you don't have to accept it as valid" and "FWIW". Had he not been critical of Obama, would you have been more wiling to accept it? I think not, since it was a known conservative that posted it.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Like I said...."you don't have to accept it as valid" and "FWIW". Had he not been critical of Obama, would you have been more wiling to accept it? I think not, since it was a known conservative that posted it.

I didn't say I didn't accept it now, did I?

Simply poinhted out the seeming inconsistency of on one hand saying things are going quite well while on the other still attempting to slam Obama.

It does seem the view of one pilot flying around the bird sanctuaries hardly constitutes the 'big picture' though.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Well, first I'd like to be told by an unbiased source, your history here clearly disqualifies you.
You've been told, you've been given the links (hint; try Oil Pollution Act/Clean Water Act, that should get you started), you continue to ignore them and repeat the blather from the Left.

Quote:
It does seem the view of one pilot flying around the bird sanctuaries hardly constitutes the 'big picture' though.
Much more than one pilot. Expand your news sources. If you're waiting for obama to show you all the devastation in pictures and video, well, don't hold your breath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies