Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 09:25 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,127,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesiP View Post
We are moving to the area and are looking at pool homes... We have seen a few that are green and some that need "help". How hard is it to "fix" the water in a perfectly good pool?
Good for you and have fun searching for a new home. Just try to keep in mind that if the pool needs work then other things may have been on hold.

There are a lot of pool supply companies with retail stores that will help you bring your pool up to par. Make sure your pool pump works and doesn't make a lot of noise due to bearing abuse or misuse.

I think the worse thing that can happen is your pool leaks water and what ever problem you may discover it can be fixed in no time... If you select a home with discolored water then take a sample of water in a clean container (around a quart) to a retail pool supply store and they will give you the chemicles needed along with the instructions.

If you need more help just post it here and I can help you...Thanks and good home hunting....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 10:09 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,866,005 times
Some guy named Greg does a lot of pools in the area LOL

Old 03-28-2012, 06:23 PM

25 posts, read 93,137 times
Thanks! We are super excited and can't wait to get there, and put our toes in the water!

Old 04-03-2012, 06:48 PM

1,285 posts, read 3,607,951 times
Default Salt Water Pools

How reasonable is it to convert a chlorine pool to saltwater? I imagine pipes and pump have to be replaced, what else is involved. And HOW much will this cost on average. My therapist recommends a pool. Wonder if Medicare will pay for it?
Sid

Old 04-03-2012, 08:58 PM

2,962 posts, read 4,999,206 times
Most likely no pipes or motors need to be changed. About $500-$1000 depending on brand. That's doing it yourself. I imagine you're kidding about medicare.....

Old 05-28-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy1 View Post
Good for you and have fun searching for a new home. Just try to keep in mind that if the pool needs work then other things may have been on hold.

There are a lot of pool supply companies with retail stores that will help you bring your pool up to par. Make sure your pool pump works and doesn't make a lot of noise due to bearing abuse or misuse.

I think the worse thing that can happen is your pool leaks water and what ever problem you may discover it can be fixed in no time... If you select a home with discolored water then take a sample of water in a clean container (around a quart) to a retail pool supply store and they will give you the chemicles needed along with the instructions.

If you need more help just post it here and I can help you...Thanks and good home hunting....
Hey, we are here!!! (I was looking all over for this post, so there is another one that I commented on first ooppsss, haha) We move into our house in a little less than a month We bought a home with a VERY well maintained chlorine pool. She has a pool guy that comes every week, but I'm still up for doing it ourselves. Do you have any reading material or beginners advise on how to even start taking tare of it?

Old 05-28-2012, 11:56 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,999,206 times
Quote:
Hey, we are here!!! (I was looking all over for this post, so there is another one that I commented on first ooppsss, haha) We move into our house in a little less than a month We bought a home with a VERY well maintained chlorine pool. She has a pool guy that comes every week, but I'm still up for doing it ourselves. Do you have any reading material or beginners advise on how to even start taking tare of it?
Get the pool guy to come out to do a service and explain everything to you. Tell him you want to try to maintain it yourself for a while to get the feel for it. Won't cost much, and it's much better than reading general directions. Welcome aboard!

Old 06-01-2012, 10:41 AM

1,194 posts, read 4,127,192 times
Quote:
hi,
I am sorry but I don't have any written information to study on Pool Maintenance but I can suggest a few Web sites....

http://www.poolmanual.com/poolmanual.aspx

http://swimming.about.com/gi/dynamic...m%2Fwatbal.htm

My advice and it sounds like you acquired a wonderful pool.
1-Maintain a pool water level so the pool water comes to the center of your suction drain. It does take a few weeks of constant sucking air to ruin a motor so be sure the water level comes to the center of the intake.
2- You can purchase a water maintenance kit but i tossed mine away because the tiny cheical testing was 3 years old and I now take my water sample to my local pool store. They test it for free.
3- Pools require the user to shock the water once a week. I shock mine every 3 weeks because there are just 2 of us. Shocking it is performed by a chemically reaction and it always contains a large amount of chlorine in the powder or liquid. I use liquid shock sold in the gallon to shock because there is no calcium build up. ( Calcium build up shows as a white line on the tile)
4- Finally get a semi stiff pool brush with a long pole and lightly scrub your water line and pool sides. Then the bottom of the pool brushing the residue towards the bottom drain to be taken out to the filter..

Not too much more to do except make sure your Barbeque is close by so you can do some grilling of burgers, hot dogs and veggies while you swim.

Last edited by Synergy1; 06-01-2012 at 10:53 AM..

Old 06-02-2012, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy1 View Post
hi,
I am sorry but I don't have any written information to study on Pool Maintenance but I can suggest a few Web sites....

http://www.poolmanual.com/poolmanual.aspx

About.com: http://www.poolcenter.com/watbal.htm

My advice and it sounds like you acquired a wonderful pool.
1-Maintain a pool water level so the pool water comes to the center of your suction drain. It does take a few weeks of constant sucking air to ruin a motor so be sure the water level comes to the center of the intake.
2- You can purchase a water maintenance kit but i tossed mine away because the tiny cheical testing was 3 years old and I now take my water sample to my local pool store. They test it for free.
3- Pools require the user to shock the water once a week. I shock mine every 3 weeks because there are just 2 of us. Shocking it is performed by a chemically reaction and it always contains a large amount of chlorine in the powder or liquid. I use liquid shock sold in the gallon to shock because there is no calcium build up. ( Calcium build up shows as a white line on the tile)
4- Finally get a semi stiff pool brush with a long pole and lightly scrub your water line and pool sides. Then the bottom of the pool brushing the residue towards the bottom drain to be taken out to the filter..

Not too much more to do except make sure your Barbeque is close by so you can do some grilling of burgers, hot dogs and veggies while you swim.

WOW! Thank you! That all sounds doable!!! Espically the last past... That's essential!! Thanks again!

Old 06-06-2012, 10:34 PM

92 posts, read 356,615 times
Default Pool School

Desi, we wanted to take over the maintenance of our pool, so we signed up for "Pool School" at Leslie's Pool Store here in PSL. It was at a reasonable cost and made keeping our pool in shape so easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach