Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2013, 06:39 PM

14 posts, read 38,859 times

Advertisements

Hello! My family and I are planning to move to PSL soon. We own a house there, and the school board is giving us several options for schools in the "red zone." The two closest to us are Oak Hammock and Windmill.

And there are a few other schools that the school board interactive map doesn't list, charter schools: Palm Pointe Research School at Tradition, Renaissance Charter School at Tradition, and Imagine Schools-Nau Campus.

It's very difficult to chose without being able to see the schools. You get so much information from the "feel".

We live in a small town now and I'm especially worried about my little girl going to a big school where she might be overwhelmed.

Any advise or information would be welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 05:30 AM

1,690 posts, read 2,795,615 times
Do your research!! Although you have a few options, You really don't. Let me explain; you live in the same district as me. I did my research and chose Manatee as our first choice. Our last was Bayshore. My kids were assigned Bayshore (or course!). When you enroll your child at the district office in Ft Pierce, you put your top 3 choices on the enrollment paper. The attendant then goes to a computer and puts in your choices, and the computer puts your child where there is space available. It really doesn't matter what you decide! There is nothing you can do other than put your child on a "waiting list". My children are on this list, and are still waiting for space available at Manatee. It's a rediculously stupid assignment plan, but there is no going around it.

We are on the enrollment list for the Renassaince schools too- I'm praying they can go to the new one starting up at Tradition. Palm Pointe is a good school, but good luck getting in. NAU Imagine has historically had really poor scores so I didn't even consider that one.

Good luck. We love living here and would do it all over again if we had to, but I would definitely have moved to Martin county. The state of PSL schools is sad.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:06 AM

Thanks for responding... I've applied for her at Palm Pointe. Renaissance has gotten mixed reviews.

I'm wondering, what did you like about Manatee and dislike about Bayshore? Is it your child's individual teacher or is the school facilities?

I wish there was a farm-to-school program, but it doesn't look like that's anywhere!

Old 01-31-2013, 08:05 PM

We went to Manatee and got a great sense of friendliness, care for the students, and security. Bayshore was/is an older school, and it is showing it's age. The teachers we have and have had are not that great, and the asst. principal is not on my fav list. If you visit them you will see the difference.

Good luck getting her into Palm Pointe!

Old 02-02-2013, 11:27 AM

Thanks, here's hoping, although I think Palm Point doesn't open until 9:40 in the morning, so that might not work.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:10 PM

I know they get out past 4pm, so you're probably right. Regardless, all the schools offer before and after school care. You may have to pay a monthly fee, but it's still well worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach