Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 02:05 PM

1,285 posts, read 3,607,107 times

Advertisements

Might consider keeping the pool low, much like the Corps does to Lake O.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 02:08 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,596,420 times
You can get a small sump pump from your local box store, and attach a hose to it. Drain it into the gutter or wherever you're allowed. Before a a big storm you should also cover the pool to save yourself a big clean up after.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:14 PM

1,285 posts, read 3,607,107 times
Hey, the pool cover is a great suggestion, might help during the winter too. When I was house shopping I saw a house with a pool cover that was on a ball bearing roll at one end of the pool and it looked like blue bubble wrap. The owners just pulled it out ( like a horizontal window shade) when the weather turned cool and then used the built in electric motor to wind it back into a roll when they needed it. Sounds pricey though.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:32 PM

51 posts, read 88,302 times
Sure, you can get a small pump, my DH calls them puddle pumps.. I forget what Lowes and HD call them. We have one. Problem is, they can not keep up with the deluge of rain. When you are talking 3 inches per hour or more.. there is only so much they can do. I can't remember the name of that storm last year.... it was really bad down in Palm Beach County.. anyway, we got 8 inches of rain in PSL.. that is when it came out of the ppol, into the house.. and was heading up the driveway, too!
It was the second time the pool overflowed since I moved here. The first time it came into the house. So far, the only time. But this year alone, the pool has overflowed 4 or 5 times. Like I said, sometimes there is no warning, the rain just comes, and it is not a good idea to walk through puddles, with lightning all around, to get to the pump.

E

E

Old 08-06-2013, 03:37 PM

2,962 posts, read 4,997,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMMc View Post
Sure, you can get a small pump, my DH calls them puddle pumps.. I forget what Lowes and HD call them. We have one. Problem is, they can not keep up with the deluge of rain. When you are talking 3 inches per hour or more.. there is only so much they can do. I can't remember the name of that storm last year.... it was really bad down in Palm Beach County.. anyway, we got 8 inches of rain in PSL.. that is when it came out of the ppol, into the house.. and was heading up the driveway, too!
It was the second time the pool overflowed since I moved here. The first time it came into the house. So far, the only time. But this year alone, the pool has overflowed 4 or 5 times. Like I said, sometimes there is no warning, the rain just comes, and it is not a good idea to walk through puddles, with lightning all around, to get to the pump.

E

E
Isn't your house floor about 6" higher than the pool? My pool is 18" higher than the yard and the house floor is 6" higher than the lanai.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:10 PM

My pool is caged. It is, of course, an inground pool so the decking/floor is about 3 and 1/3 inches lower than the raised "step" that runs the length of the whole cage and house within that cage area. If the water rises above that small 3 1/2 icnch step it is only about another inch to the bottom of the back dor leading into the house. I'm not sure I really understood your question.

We keep the pool filled within about 4 -5 inches being flush with the top/deck/floor level. And like I said, we do try and empty some out with notice..still, when the rain comes down that hard, fast and in that large amount in a short period of time.. the ground outside the cage, in the yard can not keep up with the rain.. it floods... just like the streets do

E

Last edited by EMMc; 08-06-2013 at 04:10 PM.. Reason: signed it twice

Old 08-06-2013, 04:27 PM

2,962 posts, read 4,997,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMMc View Post
My pool is caged. It is, of course, an inground pool so the decking/floor is about 3 and 1/3 inches lower than the raised "step" that runs the length of the whole cage and house within that cage area. If the water rises above that small 3 1/2 icnch step it is only about another inch to the bottom of the back dor leading into the house. I'm not sure I really understood your question.

We keep the pool filled within about 4 -5 inches being flush with the top/deck/floor level. And like I said, we do try and empty some out with notice..still, when the rain comes down that hard, fast and in that large amount in a short period of time.. the ground outside the cage, in the yard can not keep up with the rain.. it floods... just like the streets do

E
I was just wondering. I've had the pool overflow, but it never was anywhere near coming in the house. I guess it's because the lot slopes down rather steeply from the pool.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:15 PM

53 posts, read 66,368 times
Default pool man pay

I have never had a inground pool just the 24' above ground which I found out why so many people told me not to get. If I buy a house that has a inground pool how much does it cost to pay a pool guy to come once a week? What does it include? I could never get the chemical thing right & felt like I was swimming in a vat of chemicals.

Old 03-28-2014, 04:41 AM

910 posts, read 2,218,742 times
The average cost for a weekly pool guy is about $70 a month. He balances the chemicals, makes sure everything is in working order, skims the pool for debris, and adds chlorine each week. There may be other tasks as well, but those are the things that come to mind. We had never had an inground pool before moving here and for us the $70 is well worth the money. And by the way, we LOVE having our own pool ! It certainly is a better deal to buy a house with a pool than putting one in yourself; our pool guy told us that the pool and patio we have would cost us about $40k to install at today's rates. Yikes !

Old 04-11-2014, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLark7 View Post
The average cost for a weekly pool guy is about $70 a month. He balances the chemicals, makes sure everything is in working order, skims the pool for debris, and adds chlorine each week. There may be other tasks as well, but those are the things that come to mind. We had never had an inground pool before moving here and for us the $70 is well worth the money. And by the way, we LOVE having our own pool ! It certainly is a better deal to buy a house with a pool than putting one in yourself; our pool guy told us that the pool and patio we have would cost us about $40k to install at today's rates. Yikes !
They also clean the pool around the decking, down the inside walls , the steps and the railing. They vacuum the bottom of my pool once a month, but my pool is small, so he does it for free. There is usually a charge.. I get charged a lesser monthly fee. 65.00 bucks. Plus, I don't know if larger pools would require more frequent vacumming. Probably also depends on whatever landscape/foliage you have close to your pool.

EMc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach