Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2014, 10:15 AM

361 posts, read 750,055 times

Advertisements

Does anybody know where to find authentic greek gyros? (No matter the distance?) I used to frequent this place in South Beach Miami that had true authentic greek gyros ever since they closed down I have not been able to find anything remotely similar.

For those of you who do not know now a days most "Greek" food places use a prepacked gyro meat. Here is a sample picture of this: http://www.rochestergyros.com/images/GyroMachines.jpg

Note how the meat is very smooth all around and everywhere. That means it was not freshly prepared by them.

Now, here is a picture of the "real deal" for comparison: http://blog.eat24hours.com/wp-conten...Gyro-House.jpg another pic of the real deal: http://newyork.seriouseats.com/image...grill-gyro.jpg

As you can see the meat is clearly layered which mean that it was freshly made with slices of meat.

Btw for reference I have been to Spiro's and while their food is good their gyro is not prepared with fresh sliced meat individually stacked

Any help on tracking down the real thing would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 02:53 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times
Believe it or not, at a gas station on Oslo Rd at 27th Ave in So Vero Beach there's a gyro spit. It has a Shell sign but it's not a corporate Shell station so you can't get the Wynn Dixie discount.

But I can't swear it's not the prepackaged. Next time I go in, I'll check it out

I have no idea of the exact address but go up Rt 1 to Oslo and go left on Oslo (west). IT's going to be on your left hand side of the road (eastbound on Oslo)

You'll pass a BP that has a DRIVE THROUGH, which is very convenient...at 20th. Make sure you're in the left lane and at 27th, turn left and pull in the "Shell".

They are ALWAYS BUSY at lunch with workmen and stuff going there.

I couldn't believe it.

The tzatziki is good, too.

You should ask at the Greek church in ...I think Ft Pierce. Or people from Tarpon Springs?

http://southflorida.menupages.com/re...orhoods/greek/

Old 02-22-2014, 07:14 PM

74 posts, read 147,950 times
Authentic hmmmm! Nowhere since the authentic one is from pork (or chicken) and the meet is not grounded. In addition on the pita wrap we don't have lettuce.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyro_(food)

the one served in USA is actually "doner" and is Turkish....
BUT I think the best place in the area is this:
Mr. Gyros

I tried the one in Stuart and is very good.

Most other places in the area, their gyro comes in slices and frozen and they just warm it on the grill...same at the Greek festivals around

PS: I am Greek

Old 02-22-2014, 07:34 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,796,340 times
If you go to the shopping center at the intersection of Monterrey and US1, you'll find a Greek Restaurant in that shopping center. It has a HomeGoods store in that center. The restaurant is next to the Payless shoe store. You can see the spit in the window!

Old 02-22-2014, 07:51 PM

193 posts, read 405,279 times
I went to the Greek festival Friday afternoon. It continues til in 10 pm tonight and Sunday 11 am til 4 pm. It is located on 25th street south of Virginia (St,/Ave/Rd) in Fort Pierce. It's been in the newspaper all week. Good stuff. The Navy took me to Greece several times in the '60s.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:18 AM

361 posts, read 750,055 times
SeetheUSA, someone else recently recommended that place but after looking at their yelp photos(name of business is Mr. Gyros) you can clearly see that the meat is a solid block and not layered slices: http://s3-media2.ak.yelpcdn.com/bpho...CCgA-5Rw/l.jpg (Note the meat on the far left)

However, I do see from that picture that they have chicken that appears to be layered and I will definitely be trying that.

Thanks for the replies everyone this is sort of a mission impossible as Greek restaurants just don't want to exert the extraordinary effort that is required to make a real gyro....it is much easier/cheaper to just buy a pre-packaged block at a restaurant supply store.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:47 AM

142 posts, read 230,747 times
Why was my response of "Athens" (which was said in jest) deleted as "trolling"? What is trolling?

Old 02-26-2014, 02:48 PM

645 posts, read 909,878 times
I'm looking for a good falafel place... I have tried Planet Ozone, which is good, but I really want traditional falafels. Any suggestions?

Old 03-01-2014, 01:18 PM

138 posts, read 244,082 times
port-saint-lucie-fl/olympia-taverna-restaurant On st lucie west just off 95..there's also one in Stuart but it goes by a slightly different name..not bad for florida..souvlaki was better then the gyro but all decent.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:21 AM

910 posts, read 2,219,815 times
In Vero Beach, try Fillin' n' Chillin', which is a casual restaurant and bakery featuring very authentic Mediterranean cuisine. Their hummus and falafels are awesome. The address is 2015 Oslo Rd (9th St SW). They are in a small shopping center (maybe three shops) on the south side of the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach