Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2014, 08:51 PM

2 posts, read 1,934 times

Advertisements

Currently living in Miami and leaving around the middle of October. I have often thought Orlando would be a great place to love however I realize that somewhere in the outskirts, like Kissimmee might be a great option. Thing is, now I see all kinds of negative comments about Kissimmee and I'm really rethinking my choice. I want somewhere that is a nice english speaking community. No prejudices at all, just love understanding people in stores, restaurants etc when I'm in a hurry and can't afford translation time.
Somewhere that is reasonable to live $1000- 3 bd, 2 bath but within close proximity to an elementary school. Doesn't have the be extravagant, just don't want to struggle anymore like down here.
I'm thinking that almost anywhere would be cheaper than Miami though. Any advice anyone?

My spouse and I are an interracial couple early 30s with 1 small child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 07:50 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times
Well there is no comparison between the Orlando area and Vero Beach, a small coastal area ...but our population including the "suburbs" of Vero is 150K. IN the city it's only 17K.

Yes the Spanish thing drove me bonkers up there when I used to go there for work or to fly out. Just like Miami but not QUITE as bad. At least in Orlando they won't call you a TOURIST for not speaking Spanish, like they do in Miami LOL. But make no mistake, the people there WILL GET MAD if the doctor's office isn't showing Hispanic TV in the waiting room. I read that HERE! 4 years ago!

Being an interracial couple is nothing IMO- in fact I have 2 regular dog walking clients who are interracial couples with kids. Our little area embraces diversity. YES we are heavy on white people because it was a OLD beach town that you couldn't even GET TO before the highway opened here. BUT we did and do have a long standing community of African American families in the Metro area right outside the city limits where everyone happens to be moving ANYway because it's open and rural-ish. (but we have free public transit that's not bad).

As you know a lot of ethnic people cluster in a concentrated area sometimes and it's no different here. But in that CDP where most of our African American families cluster the population is about 50% black. I work there every day and some members HERE just moved there, too, or will be moving there.

I don't know much about the schools but it seems to me some are good and some are lower testing. But as you probably know FL has been having some chaos with that overall. We have great magnet schools and THE BEST THING is our Indian River state college is very strong, 4th most affordable in the country, ranked 9th public college in the South and you can do college IN HIGH SCHOOL and graduate with two years under your belt. Academic AND trades. It extends further south from Vero, too.

They have a $10,000 bachelors degree in STEM degrees.

They also have this pretty great association with the Achieving the Dream foundation and the ONLY school in Florida to do so.

About Us | Achieving the Dream

NOTE races in this photo :

About Indian River State College

I think you can find a place for $1000. Don't know about a single house with 3 bedrooms for $1000, though. That may be more of a 2 bedroom situation.

ONE:

1091 West 13th Square, Vero Beach FL - Trulia

ONE kind of far west away from a lot of stuff

Address Not Disclosed - Trulia

Apartment centrally located to all the shopping:

Vero Green, Vero Beach - Trulia

2556 57th Circle, Vero Beach FL - Trulia

If you happen to qualify for income restrictions, Pinnacle Grove is really nice and I know several people of different races/ethnicity who live there. I work with them in a local assisted living facility where I'm adog walker. One woman sends her kid right up the block to school and she likes it. I think he's eight, African American. She is the person we rely to calm down my client when her dementia gets her riled up and her family has lived in the area forever. I see the kids getting off and on bus all the time and lots of parents meet them there.

Apartments for Rent in Vero Beach, FL | Pinnacle Grove - Home

We have several apartment complexes and some have income restrictions/guidelines.

Pemberly Palms, Vero Beach - Trulia

The Palms At Vero Beach, Vero Beach - Trulia

You're not far; drive up.

PSL I would say is definitely larger sheer numbers of families, yes. But that's all I know about it.

Old 09-23-2014, 05:56 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,176,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanillaprincess View Post
Currently living in Miami and leaving around the middle of October. I have often thought Orlando would be a great place to love however I realize that somewhere in the outskirts, like Kissimmee might be a great option. Thing is, now I see all kinds of negative comments about Kissimmee and I'm really rethinking my choice. I want somewhere that is a nice english speaking community. No prejudices at all, just love understanding people in stores, restaurants etc when I'm in a hurry and can't afford translation time.
Somewhere that is reasonable to live $1000- 3 bd, 2 bath but within close proximity to an elementary school. Doesn't have the be extravagant, just don't want to struggle anymore like down here.
I'm thinking that almost anywhere would be cheaper than Miami though. Any advice anyone?

My spouse and I are an interracial couple early 30s with 1 small child.
What kind of jobs will you be looking for when you move?

Schools in Indian River County probably rate higher than most of the Kissimmee area schools. If you do decide on Kissimmee look in the western areas of the city....closer to Rt 27 and Disney . Also look into Clermont area which has a lot of young families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach