Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 09:07 PM
ZTM

57 posts, read 94,376 times

Advertisements

Much of the crime in PSL goes unreported. Also, don't forget about the Nuclear power plant which is just a few miles away. It has had more unplanned shutdowns than any other reactor in the country and has been recently cited for cooling rod leakage. Also, there is 25 years worth of Nuclear waste stored at that site. This is something to consider if you care about your health and safety
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 09:39 PM

192 posts, read 312,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTM View Post
Much of the crime in PSL goes unreported. Also, don't forget about the Nuclear power plant which is just a few miles away. It has had more unplanned shutdowns than any other reactor in the country and has been recently cited for cooling rod leakage. Also, there is 25 years worth of Nuclear waste stored at that site. This is something to consider if you care about your health and safety
Thanks for that info didn't know there was a N power plant in the area...funny how I haven't seen it mentioned in any of the info sites I've been on.

Old 01-11-2015, 07:21 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,626,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rociovrojas View Post
Thanks for that info didn't know there was a N power plant in the area...funny how I haven't seen it mentioned in any of the info sites I've been on.
Many moving and relocation sites are like this one. Most of the posters that live here get defensive about anything that's posted that is negative for the area. They have a financial interest in the area. Some have a commercial interest with links to their business in their profiles. So it's in their best interest to consistently post positive things. That's why I post some negatives to offset the rah, rah, rah, to give potential newcomers the honest truth. Yes the schools in PSL are not good any way you twist and turn it. Yes there are some not so good areas, Yes there is a nuclear power plant about 2 or 3 miles away across the Indian River on Hutchinson Island. You want to know any more negatives just ask.

Old 01-11-2015, 07:43 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,201,048 times
ZTM...."Much of the crime in PSL goes unreported."

If it does, then how do you know about it?

Old 01-11-2015, 08:05 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Many moving and relocation sites are like this one. Most of the posters that live here get defensive about anything that's posted that is negative for the area. They have a financial interest in the area. Some have a commercial interest with links to their business in their profiles. So it's in their best interest to consistently post positive things. That's why I post some negatives to offset the rah, rah, rah, to give potential newcomers the honest truth. Yes the schools in PSL are not good any way you twist and turn it. Yes there are some not so good areas, Yes there is a nuclear power plant about 2 or 3 miles away across the Indian River on Hutchinson Island. You want to know any more negatives just ask.
So how come neither you NOR ZTM ever mentioned this dreaded power plant before now? In fact, in the MANY YEARS that I've lived here and posted here I don't remember it coming up.

And if you think I post only positives about Vero Beach to entice a bunch of NY liberals to come here, you're crazy. And that's coming from someone who is FROM Philly/NJ/NY.

Maybe the power plant just isn't a big deal to many people.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:10 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTM View Post

Ohhhh scary words like "cited".

Cited? So you mean "monitored". But "cited" sounds better, right? Like some government agency "cited" them for something baaaaaddddd!

Cooling tubes at FPL St. Lucie nuke plant show significant wear | Tampa Bay Times

"Unplanned shutdowns". As in the time jellyfish clogged the intake?

Anyway the OP is not interested in living here. Her husband wants to live in a more Hispanic/Latino place with is the entire reason for moving to begin with.

Where is your "unreported crime" information?

Old 01-11-2015, 08:19 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,626,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
So how come neither you NOR ZTM ever mentioned this dreaded power plant before now? In fact, in the MANY YEARS that I've lived here and posted here I don't remember it coming up.

And if you think I post only positives about Vero Beach to entice a bunch of NY liberals to come here, you're crazy. And that's coming from someone who is FROM Philly/NJ/NY.

Maybe the power plant just isn't a big deal to many people.
RWS, your posts are fair and honest. Don't get so defensive. I happen to like nuclear energy, it keeps the electric bills low. The poster asked about a power plant and I told him/her about it. And please, please, don't lump me in with the NY/NJ liberal crowd, i'm a registered republican.

Last edited by JERSEY MAN; 01-11-2015 at 08:39 AM..

Old 01-12-2015, 10:38 AM

63 posts, read 130,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rociovrojas View Post
Your input has been VERY helpful, Thank You!!

I'm not so sure about applying for my Realtors license in Florida yet since I would have to take all classes and exams again, unfortunately Florida and NC do not have reciprocity. I do however hold all Insurance Licenses and will be able to transfer them over to Florida. I also provide private companionship services to Seniors and will be marketing that part of the business in Florida as well.

You are right that driving many miles takes a toll on you. I basically work from home most of the time and hubby doesn't have far to go for his job, that's something we've thought about extensively and he's been looking at the jobs posted on any site he finds for Florida, he's also contacted many business owners there to get a feel for availability and location of jobs.

Interesting that you are an accountant. My older daughter will be graduating with her Bachelor Degree in accounting in May 2015. She thought she might like to focus on auditing but hasn't made up her mind. She just started an internship with a local country club in the accounting department. I've told her that if things don't work out here she can always follow us to Florida.

What is the job market for accountants like in Fl.? She would be a newbie in that field so to speak. Do you think she may have a future in FL??
Everyone is suffering as a whole since we are still feeling the after-effects of the job recession in the last 7-8 years. The job market will always be difficult on newer grads vs. people that have experience, but there will always be a need for people who have learned in the trade of accounting.

As for Florida (and reiterating what I mentioned in my previous post), she would have an easier time finding a job in Palm Beach County (cities such as West Palm Beach and Boca Raton) or even Broward County (Fort Lauderdale) than she would in Martin or St. Lucie Counties due to the businesses located in the bigger and more-developed cities.

Old 01-12-2015, 04:12 PM

192 posts, read 312,916 times
In NC we have a Nuclear Power Plant about 20 miles from where I live. As much as government wants to assure us of how safe they are, I'd rather be over 10 miles away. That gives you a better chance of making a run for it, if that's even possible!! There are people that won't go near 50 miles of one.

Vero Beach and Port St Lucie sound very nice, One of my distant relatives is going to be retiring in PSL in the near future. They were the ones that suggested I consider it.

All areas have good and bad, but what seems bad for one person may not bother another person. Before I moved to NC I was on this site and read things about certain areas that would make you think there were drive by shootings, gangs, murders, thefts, several times a day... It turns out that I ended up purchasing my home in an area not too far from those dreaded locations and it has been a very happy place for us. Beautiful neighborhoods, close proximity to downtown, shopping etc.(of course you still need a car), and an awesome free charter school 2 miles away. Since then I've sold many homes in or close to those areas and my clients have no complaints.

However with all that being said, we are ready to move to a warmer climate(some may say HOT,HOT climate) being caribbean we are used to the heat. Also we have family spread out all over Florida, none in NC, we would be only 1 flight away from DR, in NC we have to do a layover either in Florida or Georgia. The last time we traveled, we caught a flight in the DR at 6am and didn't land in NC until 8pm, we had a 7 hour layover in Miami and there was an additional 3 hour delay....Not Fun!!!

Old 01-13-2015, 01:58 PM

14 posts, read 38,759 times
Default Gulf Coast to Treasure Coast (Greek Communities)

Hi all,

We have been doing a lot of Florida research also. We have friends and family there and are thinking about a move in a few years. My research shows that if you are looking for the Greek communities you are looking on the wrong coast. Safety Harbor was settled by the Greeks and there are Gyros stands all up and down the Tamiami Trail. Dudedin, Palm Harbor, etc is the place to be among the the Greek community.

Anyway we have narrowed our Treasure Coast search down to:

Vero Beach
Sebastian
Jensen Beach
Port St. Lucie
Stuart

My husband works from home and can live wherever. I am looking for the artsy scene as I spin, weave, quilt, etc. If it is fiber, I play with it! We are in our late 40's early 50's, so this may be our last move. Community Centers and biking lanes are important to us. Art fairs and walks, community sponsored activities and festivities are a must! Surf fishing is high on the list and living close to town with a ten to fifteen minute drive to the beach is what we are looking for. A good hospital close by and support for senior years will be important.

We ran up and down the Golf Coast last August. There a few places I would love to live, but we won't choose for sure until we examine the Treasure Coast as we did the Gulf Coast. I am reading all the posts and listening to your advice. See you in February.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach