Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 06:19 AM

217 posts, read 372,845 times

Advertisements

From Treasure Coast newspapers editorial:

"It now seems inevitable that Brightline trains, which have been running between Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach since January, will eventually travel through our region on their way to Orlando.

"However, opponents can claim a small victory — one that just might have large implications. A provision inserted in the state budget requires a state agency to study rail operations in Florida."

Read the entire editorial:

https://www.tcpalm.com/story/opinion...iew/510192002/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 07:22 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,433,704 times
Brightline is happening with or without the Treasure Coast.. Service is booming in South Florida and the Orlando extension is about to break ground.. Hopefully this will be a learning experience for the Treasure Coast, I guess it takes bad decisions to teach a lesson, if they would have supported the project from the get go maybe a station would have been considered in this area, now the trains will zoom by as if this area as if it never existed..

Old 08-14-2018, 07:56 AM

66 posts, read 117,438 times
Service is "booming?"

What will happen to capacity as they add additional trains each day? Is there untapped incremental ridership waiting to be unleashed?
Bad decisions? "Maybe" a treasure coast station if people were nicer or something? Now trains will "zoom by" because Brightline got their feelings hurt?
You can't make this up...

It's difficult to refute some of the constructive criticism that surrounds the (public) funding questions related to Brightline. (And safety...and quality of life...) Not a lot of good answers coming from either the Mexican company that owns the tracks or the Japanese company that runs the trains.

Old 08-14-2018, 01:09 PM

482 posts, read 761,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmsd1 View Post
What will happen to capacity as they add additional trains each day? Is there untapped incremental ridership waiting to be unleashed?
Seeing the amount of buses traveling daily to and from Miami and Orlando you can see that there is a demand of ridership. Just check the websites of Mega Bus, Jet Set Express, Red Coach USA, GMG Transport, and Grey Hound you can see there is a huge demand that is keeping these companies in business. I am sure it will be hard to compete with the train service if a comparable rate is offered once Brightline expands.

Last edited by PSLCarPool; 08-14-2018 at 01:26 PM..

Old 08-14-2018, 01:42 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,647,840 times
I think that Brightline would be far more successful if they add two stations, one in Port St. Lucie and the other in Melbourne. (Assuming they're still planning on having the alignment go up to Melbourne and then curve west to Orlando, instead of following a more direct path.) The small amount of additional time required to stop and board passengers at those stations would be more than made up for by the increased ridership that they would generate -- especially since alternative forms of transportation in those two cities are pretty limited.

Old 08-14-2018, 06:10 PM

482 posts, read 761,537 times
A stop in the Treasure Coast and the Space Coast would be ideal but I think those stops if added will be after the completion of the Orlando station. The Treasure Coast stop would likely be in Fort Pierce do the reasons I posted awhile back here: //www.city-data.com/forum/port-...station-3.html

Old 08-14-2018, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Service is "booming?"

Bad decisions? "Maybe" a treasure coast station if people were nicer or something? Now trains will "zoom by" because Brightline got their feelings hurt?
You can't make this up...
Yes the service is in fact booming, ridership numbers for the first quarter of operation were already released and the numbers EXCEEDED expectations, why do you think they are adding trains??? Not to mention have you even personally ridden the trains? How can you criticize a service that you have not even used?

Quote:
It's difficult to refute some of the constructive criticism that surrounds the (public) funding questions related to Brightline. (And safety...and quality of life...) Not a lot of good answers coming from either the Mexican company that owns the tracks or the Japanese company that runs the trains.
Umm, speaking of "making things up" as you say.. Mexican company? The rail line is actually owned by Florida East Coast Railway

Japanese company? Brightline is actually owned by Florida East Coast Industries which is headquartered in CORAL GABLES, FLORIDA.

Old 08-15-2018, 07:23 AM

66 posts, read 117,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnight View Post
Yes the service is in fact booming, ridership numbers for the first quarter of operation were already released and the numbers EXCEEDED expectations, why do you think they are adding trains??? Not to mention have you even personally ridden the trains? How can you criticize a service that you have not even used?
I have used it. Very nice. Rather expensive (esp when combining with subsequent trans from station) for regular use. Commuters with expense accounts/reimbursement are the obvious core customer.
Ridership is up. But from what? When you triple your ridership from near empty trains, it is what it is. And without incremental riders, new trains will only serve to decrease the average rider count per train...

I criticize because of the valid concerns. Funding. Public funds for development and safety improvements. Etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnight View Post
Umm, speaking of "making things up" as you say.. Mexican company? The rail line is actually owned by Florida East Coast Railway

Japanese company? Brightline is actually owned by Florida East Coast Industries which is headquartered in CORAL GABLES, FLORIDA.
Who owns those companies?

Old 08-15-2018, 06:49 PM

Quote:
I have used it. Very nice. Rather expensive (esp when combining with subsequent trans from station) for regular use. Commuters with expense accounts/reimbursement are the obvious core customer.
Ridership is up. But from what? When you triple your ridership from near empty trains, it is what it is. And without incremental riders, new trains will only serve to decrease the average rider count per train...

I criticize because of the valid concerns. Funding. Public funds for development and safety improvements. Etc.
The price point is actually very reasonable considering the quality of service/product provided and convenience of having your commute time cut in HALF and not having to deal with South Florida traffic, gas expense, vehicle maintenance, roadwork, tolls, etc... I have seen promotional fares run as low as $10 each way in their standard seats, and their premium seats only run about $5-10 more and include a private waiting lounge and free alcoholic beverages/snacks which pretty much pays itself.. Their pricing structure is based on supply and demand as it should be in any business..

As far as getting to the stations, parking at the on-site parking garages that directly attaches to the stations only run at about $6 overnight/daily, or you can just take a quick Uber/Lyft ride to/from your final destination, once again very reasonable.. Once again I have done it before on multiple occasions and it is always worth it..

It has already been well established that this is a privately funded and privately operated service. Your "concerns" appear to be more-so driven by the fact that you dislike the concept and don't believe in alternative methods of transportation, this is very apparent from your responses..

Quote:
Who owns those companies?
Wow we are really getting rather technical here are we? So once again, BOTH companies are headquartered and operated in the US, they are US-based companies regardless of where their investors are based.. So let's say that a foreign investor (such as the Japanese or Mexican investors that you mention) decide to INVEST in a US-based company with US-based assets for the improvement of US infrastructure, you are telling me this is a bad thing?? Would you rather that money stay OUTSIDE of the US?? Why would we not WANT foreign investors to invest in our country??

Old 08-16-2018, 04:52 AM

35 posts, read 43,078 times
I am probably being a bit dim here but when the trains come through the Treasure Coast places like Stuart, Walton Road and where it crosses Highway 1 near Fort Pierce (my local areas, I know there are plenty more crossings) will the barriers be upgraded etc? I cant imagine a lot of trains hurtling through these areas at 100mph+.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach