Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 08:54 AM

13 posts, read 83,708 times

Advertisements

Hello all.

I am a 62 year old single female considering retirement in the area as I can not longer afford the high cost of living in NJ. My health is declining so I'm pretty nervous and an out of state move alone is quite frightening to be honest. I have a couple of friends in the area so Port St. Lucie is a consideration. All of my fellow retirees are spread out across the State. A trailer is out of the question so I'm considering a villa or small home within a 55 plus community. I wont know exactly what my financial status will be until I sell my home. Broad question I realize..but would appreciate recommendations. Near the beach is definite requirement. Ive been looking at new developments but the CDD fees along with HOA's make it just as expensive as living in NJ lol. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 01:57 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,431,354 times
I just googled “ Port St. Lucis 55+” and there is a pop up map showing some 55+ communities run by national and regional builders

Cant figure out the HOA/CCD fees.

Have you been to the area? Able to spend time down there to visit as many as you can? Best to see them up close and personal IMHO.

Other option is to look at 55+ in Toms River NJ. Close to medical hospital.Taxes in some of the 55+ down there is very low compared to most of NJ.

The Termite Service firm guy was talking about it as his mom moved to Holiday City Berkley, I think he said it was low taxes.

I would prefer FL over NJ weather wise but its a personal decision.

Good luck.

Old 04-21-2019, 07:04 AM

Thanks..yes I have done the same, and yes have paid a visit and will be returning to visit next month. A lawyer recommended the "Villages but its an hour and a half from the beach...cant do that its huge lol but seems to offer many advantages for a senior activity wise. I dont think Id be very Happy in Toms River.....Thanks for your response.

Old 04-22-2019, 06:56 AM

30 posts, read 50,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJCarol View Post
Thanks..yes I have done the same, and yes have paid a visit and will be returning to visit next month. A lawyer recommended the "Villages but its an hour and a half from the beach...cant do that its huge lol but seems to offer many advantages for a senior activity wise. I dont think Id be very Happy in Toms River.....Thanks for your response.
Please, if you can, stay away from The Villages as it is infested with STDs. I worked for a home health agency and we had an office there and know a lot of disgusting stories.

Old 04-22-2019, 07:03 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,201,048 times
Perhaps you should visit a Mortgage Broker and see what you should be able to afford first, unless you plan on paying cash for a house.

Im in Port St Lucie and actually right next door to two 55 and older communities in St Lucie West, Cascades and Kings Isle, of which neither are new builds and neither have CDD's. The other ones in Tradition, (Vitalia, Lake Park, and now Del Webb is building) are new construction and have a CDD which is paid through your taxes.

You have to be aware that 55+ communities cost more to live in because they have more ammenities than others- things to keep you busy and to socialize.

Old 04-22-2019, 07:14 AM

162 posts, read 311,210 times
Default Kings Isle

I used to work at Kings Isle as an Activities Director. The homes are older but very nice. There are over 30 clubs and the clubhouse is always filled with residents. Their new Activities Director is a friend of mine and plans great events. More importantly, the Property Manager is excellent so the clubhouse and facilities are run very well. As a single woman, you would have so much to do and would be surrounded by wonderful people in an affordable community.

I used to live in Tradion in TownPark/LakePark. I would not recommend that area or the community. LakePark does not have the amenities for a 55plus community. The HOA fesses in Tradition are high and you have the CDD Fees as well.

Old 04-22-2019, 09:04 AM

Thanks Photo for your response. I will certainly check it out. Traditions glossy new home pics are quite appealing but I'm not liking all the fees and troublesome the builders history. They hound me all the time and are encouraging a visit. I have to take it all one day at a time.

Old 04-22-2019, 09:32 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,201,048 times
which community are you speaking of as builders troublesome history - I might can clarify that for you

Old 04-24-2019, 06:56 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,947,205 times
I looked into the Kings Isle community and there are some very nice homes in there. Well maintained, updated Kitchens, and Concrete Block Construction.

Most have HOA Fees that are around $300 per month.....what do you get for that ?? Common Indoor Pool ?? Clubhouse activities ? Restaurant on site ??

What would the RE Taxes be on something like those ??

Old 04-24-2019, 07:14 AM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Why not rent something to try the area with no huge expense incurred?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach