Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 07:14 AM

1,285 posts, read 3,608,496 times

Advertisements

Although I have a portable generator it cant be used until the weather clears. I want something to provide power as soon as the power goes out. Ideas please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2019, 02:22 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alsidw View Post
Although I have a portable generator it cant be used until the weather clears. I want something to provide power as soon as the power goes out. Ideas please.
Why can you not use it until the weather clears?

Old 09-05-2019, 07:04 AM

Rain will short out the generator and could electrocute you.

Old 09-05-2019, 01:05 PM

52 posts, read 62,289 times
What kind of generator do you have? I have a portable generator that I have used during blizzards and torrential downpours. I thought they were all designed to be used in inclement weather. It's not too often I lose power on a sunny 80 degree day.

Old 09-05-2019, 02:16 PM

Open frame coleman generator.

Old 09-07-2019, 08:02 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,176,949 times
Portables are too dangerous to use during the storm itself. Even anchoring it, the winds can pick it up and fly into the house etc. In 2004 we had the big air conditioning units from a condo complex over a block away fly into our swimming pool at the complex we lived in . Also even if your yard normally does not flood, during a hurricane you may have a flooded yard for a day.

It is much safer to wait till after the storm is gone. Then make sure it is at least 10-15 feet away from your or your neighbors house making sure the exhaust is not going towards either. Do not put in garage or on a covered patio.

We use our beach tent/canopy over it to keep the sun and rain off it and all the extension cords are outdoor cords rated to run refrigerator, well, small air conditioner etc. We do not hook it up to the electrical panel. Much too dangerous for us to do because none of us are electricians.

Old 09-07-2019, 08:22 AM

24,569 posts, read 10,884,023 times
We have a Generac whole house with enough capacity for no interruption in our house and enough for neighbors to tap in. Power company services it regularly and moves us from power to generator during peak hours to keep purchasing additional power and thus prices down. For us it means a monthly discount.

Old 09-07-2019, 08:23 AM

24,569 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Check the House forum. Generators have a long thread there.

Old 09-07-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Portables are too dangerous to use during the storm itself. Even anchoring it, the winds can pick it up and fly into the house etc. In 2004 we had the big air conditioning units from a condo complex over a block away fly into our swimming pool at the complex we lived in . Also even if your yard normally does not flood, during a hurricane you may have a flooded yard for a day.

It is much safer to wait till after the storm is gone. Then make sure it is at least 10-15 feet away from your or your neighbors house making sure the exhaust is not going towards either. Do not put in garage or on a covered patio.

We use our beach tent/canopy over it to keep the sun and rain off it and all the extension cords are outdoor cords rated to run refrigerator, well, small air conditioner etc. We do not hook it up to the electrical panel. Much too dangerous for us to do because none of us are electricians.
My wife is bedridden and requires constant electrical power.

Old 09-07-2019, 06:16 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,176,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alsidw View Post
My wife is bedridden and requires constant electrical power.
In that case I would make sure I had the whole house generator with the buried tank. It would be worth the money. Or I would check out the shelters for people who need electricity through the storm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach