Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 03:50 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,825,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mclaurin View Post
Hi Steve, Portland's pop. is 583,776 per 2010 census. .
I think your pop. is probably for Portland, OR. The pop. for the Portland metro area is debatable and depends on what your including. I figure it to be around 150,000 if your including maybe South Portland, Falmouth, Westbrook and Scarborough. There is no real break between Portland and those places
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 07:19 PM

226 posts, read 641,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
I think your pop. is probably for Portland, OR. The pop. for the Portland metro area is debatable and depends on what your including. I figure it to be around 150,000 if your including maybe South Portland, Falmouth, Westbrook and Scarborough. There is no real break between Portland and those places
No. The metro population of the Portland area is over 500k.

Portland, Maine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-28-2011, 07:45 PM

874 posts, read 1,855,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve2304 View Post
I believe the 583,776 number you're referring to is the metro area that Portland is included in, with the actual population of the city of Portland itself being between 60-70,000.
You are correct. The 500k figure is a really stretched out area. It is not very crowded compared to most big cities.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:01 PM

12,873 posts, read 22,035,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hxcobd View Post
No. The metro population of the Portland area is over 500k.

Portland, Maine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Well, technically yes; but mostly no. That number is incredibly inaccurate. That number covers a HUGE area that's largely rural.

I think based on the OP's criteria, he'd be a great fit for Portland assuming he could find a job.

However, I will say the same thing I tell everyone regarding Portland's metro area. Don't believe the Census Bureau's MSA number for Portland (the number that's around 513k). It's incredibly misleading. All that number shows is the combined population of York, Cumberland and Sagadahoc Counties. In reality, the Portland area is closer to half that figure (250k).

Behind the numbers:
The Census Bureau uses a county-based system for figuring out Metropolitan Areas, NOT individual towns. In New England, the counties are a lot less influential than they are elsewhere. Here, towns reign supreme. Basically, the Census determined that Portland is the principal city for much of York, Cumberland and Sagadahoc County. That much is true. Hell, it's the principal city for the entire state (you could argue, Northern New England). However having Portland as the principal city and being part of Metropolitan Portland are two entirely different animals.

To put it in Perspective, those numbers say that Metro Portland (York, Cumberland and and Sagadahoc County) extends from as far south as Kittery, to as far north as Bridgton to as far east as Georgetown and Woolwich. That's more than DOUBLE the land area of the State of Rhode Island (with less than half the population). Some of those communities that are considered "metro Portland" are upto 70 miles away. Ask anyone in Bridgton, Kittery, the Berwicks, Georgetown, etc. if they consider themselves residents of the Portland area. You might get a chuckle or two, but probably not a "yes."

Portland itself has 65,000 residents. South Portland has 25,000. Combined, the two have fewer than 100,000 people. Portland's "urbanized area" which includes cities and suburbs (Portland, South Portland, Scarborough, Cape Elizabeth, Saco, Biddeford, Gorham, Falmouth, Cumberland, Yarmouth and Freeport) has under 190,000 people. Even the City of Portland's website states that metro Portland only has 230,000 people.

If you move to Portland expecting to be an a metro area of 500,000+, you'll be fairly surprised when you get there. It's a great town, but it's a small town. The majority of those 500,000 people live in VERY rural areas a ways from the small urban core of Portland (again, it has 65,000 people and it's not busting at the seams).

Old 07-28-2011, 08:01 PM

15 posts, read 43,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genmomto5 View Post
You are correct. The 500k figure is a really stretched out area. It is not very crowded compared to most big cities.
I live very near to the Dallas-Ft. Worth metroplex, and there are cities with a similar population that aren't that crowded, so I think I have a fair idea what to expect, but I still plan on visiting before making any decisions to move.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Well, technically yes; but mostly no. That number is incredibly inaccurate.

I think based on the OP's criteria, he'd be a great fit for Portland assuming he could find a job.

However, I will say the same thing I tell everyone regarding Portland's metro area. Don't believe the Census Bureau's MSA number for Portland (the number that's around 513k). It's incredibly misleading. All that number shows is the combined population of York, Cumberland and Sagadahoc Counties. In reality, the Portland area is closer to half that figure (250k).

Behind the numbers:
The Census Bureau uses a county-based system for figuring out Metropolitan Areas, NOT individual towns. In New England, the counties are a lot less influential than they are elsewhere. Here, towns reign supreme. Basically, the Census determined that Portland is the principal city for much of York, Cumberland and Sagadahoc County. That much is true. Hell, it's the principal city for the entire state (you could argue, Northern New England). However having Portland as the principal city and being part of Metropolitan Portland are two entirely different animals.

To put it in Perspective, those numbers say that Metro Portland (York, Cumberland and and Sagadahoc County) extends from as far south as Kittery, to as far north as Bridgton to as far east as Georgetown and Woolwich. That's more than DOUBLE the land area of the State of Rhode Island (with less than half the population). Some of those communities that are considered "metro Portland" are upto 70 miles away. Ask anyone in Bridgton, Kittery, the Berwicks, Georgetown, etc. if they consider themselves residents of the Portland area. You might get a chuckle or two, but probably not a "yes."

Portland itself has 65,000 residents. South Portland has 25,000. Combined, the two have fewer than 100,000 people. Portland's "urbanized area" which includes cities and suburbs (Portland, South Portland, Scarborough, Cape Elizabeth, Saco, Biddeford, Gorham, Falmouth, Cumberland, Yarmouth and Freeport) has under 190,000 people. Even the City of Portland's website states that metro Portland only has 230,000 people.

If you move to Portland expecting to be an a metro area of 500,000+, you'll be fairly surprised when you get there. It's a great town, but it's a small town. The majority of those 500,000 people live in VERY rural areas a ways from the small urban core of Portland (again, it has 65,000 people and it's not busting at the seams).
Thanks for the information, it's very useful. That size actually sounds perfect, as I'm not looking for anything too large - coming from a town with around 16,000 people.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the information, it's very useful. That size actually sounds perfect, as I'm not looking for anything too large - coming from a town with around 16,000 people.
You're welcome!

I read your first post and thought you'd love it assuming you can find a job, which with some effort, you should be able to do. Portland's perfect because it offers some of the bigger city amenities with a small town atmosphere. You can live in a nice walkable urban center but be out in the sticks in 10 minutes. You'll have a good blend of things you can get from a city with nature close by and without the problems of bigger cities (traffic, crime, etc). If you need more, Boston's not too far away for a day trip.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:13 PM

I am concerned about finding a job, but not too concerned. Less than 15 colleges in the US offer a 4-year degree in safety, and mine is one of them. From what I can tell from the job listings in the area, most only require an associate's degree. I will also have every major food safety certification there is, and two years of hand on experience in a food processing factory. I'm also involved in the process of changing our plant's food safety standard to a global standard (BRC), which will be done during the time I am there. Hopefully this will be enough to land me a job.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
I live very near to the Dallas-Ft. Worth metroplex, and there are cities with a similar population that aren't that crowded, so I think I have a fair idea what to expect, but I still plan on visiting before making any decisions to move.
Just for fun, I put a number figure on it:

You have 750,000 people living in a land area of 298 square miles in the city of Fort Worth, Texas. In "Metro Portland," you have 514,000 people living in a land are of 2,857 square miles.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
I am concerned about finding a job, but not too concerned. Less than 15 colleges in the US offer a 4-year degree in safety, and mine is one of them. From what I can tell from the job listings in the area, most only require an associate's degree. I will also have every major food safety certification there is, and two years of hand on experience in a food processing factory. I'm also involved in the process of changing our plant's food safety standard to a global standard (BRC), which will be done during the time I am there. Hopefully this will be enough to land me a job.
Hopefully, it'll work out for you. When I lived in Portland, I had very little trouble finding a job. Actually, the first place I applied to hired me. They even paid for me to continue my education. I guess I got lucky.

It sounds like you have ample experience and education. That can only work for you. I wish I had some idea of the job market in your field, but I'm clueless. I do, however, believe that if you're sure about a place, it is worth moving and taking the risk. Worst case, you have to find something little to tide you over until you get the job you want. I'd rather be working an OK job in a place where I'm happy, than a great job in a place I'm not thrilled with. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area