Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 04:36 PM

136 posts, read 327,766 times

Advertisements

Has anyone been to the new Whole Foods Market in Portland? What was the feeling about it coming to town?

I posted awhile ago about Maine or Oregon. Well, we decided on Maine, and are going to try moving sooner rather than later. Hopefully within the next twelve months! I am so excited about it, and hope so much that we will be moving soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 04:42 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,424,082 times
Not sure about the one in Portland, but we have several in Houston. I like them, wonderful variety, a little pricey. You can do better at the farmer's market. I prefer my foods as unprocessed as possible, and in a retail environment, you still get processed veggies and all. Anyway, if you like organic foods, it's good enough.

They have wonderful freshly made bread in MANY varieties.

Old 09-13-2007, 06:48 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,102,570 times
Congratulations!! I'm sure you feel better after making your decision, now it's just getting all the details done....keep us all updated, and good luck!

can't help you with your question, but I'm sure others can

Old 09-13-2007, 06:49 PM

874 posts, read 1,855,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Family of five View Post
Has anyone been to the new Whole Foods Market in Portland? What was the feeling about it coming to town?

I posted awhile ago about Maine or Oregon. Well, we decided on Maine, and are going to try moving sooner rather than later. Hopefully within the next twelve months! I am so excited about it, and hope so much that we will be moving soon.
It's a nice looking Whole Foods on the outside. I've only just arrived in Portland a week or so ago and don't close on our house until tomorrow so no food shopping yet. There is a Wild Oats a few blocks away from Whole Foods but that will be closing soon since Whole foods bought them out. I do wish there was a Trader Joe's in driving distance though because I like their prices.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:46 PM

136 posts, read 327,766 times
Thanks, Molly! I feel like a thousand pounds has been lifted off of me!

We have a Whole Foods here in St. Paul - very tiny. I tend to shop at our Co-op food store before Whole Foods, but Whole Foods has their own line of foods that are healthy and fairly inexpensive (compared to the name brands.) I also shop at Whole Foods for the vitamins and other supplements.

That is interesting about the Wild Oats. We don't have that here, but I have shopped at one in Denver when visiting a friend. We just got a Trader Joe's, but it is about 20 minutes from me which is farther than I'd like. I would love to be closer to a Trader Joe's. I rarely drive more than 5 miles a day , and some days I don't get in the car at all - my neighborhood is very dense and mixed-use, so I can walk 4 blocks to the Co-op, or drive one and a half miles to Whole Foods. That is one thing I love about where we live now.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:28 PM

16 posts, read 55,508 times
family of five, are you in St. Paul, MN? Hello from across the river. I like that St. Paul Whole Foods. It's tiny but the produce is gorgeous and they have great sushi rolls. Anyway, I'm so happy to hear there's a Whole Foods in Portland! Now we'll just need Noodles Company. I can do without it but my kids love that place.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:46 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,825,892 times
When Wild Oats went in I thought it was huge. There was some bad feelings as they built it right next door to the long time local health food. The biggest insult was people park in the local store's parking lot to shop at Wild Oats as the Wild Oats parking is always full.

Then the Whole Foods got built it's like twice the size of the Wild Oats and the coolest part is that they hired the local store's management to run it. How that will work since, as mentioned, they are closing the nearly new Wild Oats I guess remains to be seen.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:08 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,753,941 times
Whatever happened to the great Portland co-op onear Danforth Street??

Old 09-13-2007, 10:55 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,577,815 times
I agree with you on the parking. It is dangerous during store hours Whole foods should have built a bigger lot. I drive that street about 4 times a day and park in that dirt parkin lot across from the junk yard. You would think someone would offer ole Fred Sandford there a pretty penny for his scrap heap

Old 09-14-2007, 04:40 AM

145 posts, read 338,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genmomto5 View Post
It's a nice looking Whole Foods on the outside. I've only just arrived in Portland a week or so ago and don't close on our house until tomorrow so no food shopping yet. There is a Wild Oats a few blocks away from Whole Foods but that will be closing soon since Whole foods bought them out. I do wish there was a Trader Joe's in driving distance though because I like their prices.
Me too, I love that place. E-mail them and let them know you'd like to see a store open up in Portland. Then keep e-mailing them ..alot. When I get there I am going to do that too.Good luck with everything!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area