Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2014, 08:33 AM

7 posts, read 14,992 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I am interviewing for a job in Saco. It would be ideal for us to live in the town for convenience and for my profession. Can someone give me their thoughts on the schools in Saco? I have a daughter who will be entering 3rd grade this fall. If not Saco, what is the next closest district that you would recommend? Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 07:00 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,157,939 times
Thornton Academy is considered very good.

I have worked at Burns School, and I thought there were some very troubling things there.

I think Cape E., Scarborough, Biddeford, Kennebunkport Consolidated are good, with nice kids and involved parents.

Old 02-09-2014, 05:26 PM

48,125 posts, read 21,999,038 times
I had several friends who teach at the middle school......they were hard working and dedicated teachers.....who seemed to love their students.

I had a friend whose daughter attended elementary school in Saco.....she moved to Portland because she wanted her daughter (who was adopted from an Asian country)...to have a more diverse experience.

At my church several of the young people attended Thornton Academy.....I was very impressed with their maturity, intelligence and respect for others.

I didn't hear any stories of poor education.

As an aside......I love the town of Saco.

Old 02-12-2014, 05:22 AM

7 posts, read 14,992 times
Thank you both.

Old 02-15-2014, 02:42 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,070,238 times
I've been researching this myself, OP. So I'll just add what I've learned, as an outsider: The town has an agreement with Thornton Academy and tuitions in high schoolers, since they don't have a local high school. I know your child is in 3rd grade, so it's irrelevant at the moment, but if you think you might stay long term, it may be something to consider [also, if you can afford private tuition, TA has lower grades, too]. Or, you might be interested in a private school in Portland and surrounds, while still living in Saco.

For public, Cape Elizabeth ranks the highest and does look like a nice, well resourced district. [I checked great schools dot org and global report card dot org. I know scores aren't everything, but you can also read parent reviews on great schools dot org]. Scarborough, Gorham, Westboro also are considered especially good districts. Saco reviews seem to say that schools are hit or miss, but the town has seen growth and interest, and it sounds like many residents are proud citizens and highly vested in their community, so that's usually a good sign. People say portland and south portland have good schools. The numbers and reviews say differently (namely that it's more of a mixed bag) but that doesn't mean it's not a good choice.

Good luck w/your search.

Old 02-15-2014, 02:46 PM

48,125 posts, read 21,999,038 times
My grand daughter who lives in Saco goes to private school in Portland.....Breakwater School. It is an exceptional school, progressive and child focused. The decision to send her to Breakwater had nothing to do with the quality of elementary schools in Saco.....it just worked out perfectly for the parents schedule....and it matched their educational philosophy. It is a wonderful school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area