Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2014, 09:24 PM

2 posts, read 5,119 times

Advertisements

Possibly moving from Long Island, NY to Maine. Interested in the kennebunkport or cape elizabeth area.
Coming from Long Island, any where would be better traffic wise but really how is the traffic during like 5 pm rush hour? and during the summer and fall when its probably busy with tourists?

Also- please give me some reasons why you love living in maine!? Are you from there originally, if not, why did you move there?! and if you could, would you leave?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 07:16 AM

506 posts, read 683,488 times
Elbow room and the opportunity to be self-sufficient are some of the top reasons for me. The natural scenery, outdoor activities, Maine food (very underrated!), friendlier people (not quite as friendly as it used to be though), and generally you have more time to do stuff that you want to because you are not constantly waiting in lines and traffic.

On a side note.......something will have to be done to improve traffic flow on I-295 through Portland and North to the Brunswick/Rt. 1 exit.......while nothing like the traffic in "big cities".......it is getting much more difficult to drive and is getting much more dangerous in that stretch. I'd like to see 3 lanes in each direction.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:38 AM

234 posts, read 360,010 times
Route 77 into Cape Elizabeth from the north is a grind, by Maine standards, at 5PM. I'm not sure how it would be coming from the south. I have a reverse commute since I live in Portland, so I don't have to deal with much traffic at all.

I've lived in Maine my entire life and moved from the Lewiston/Auburn area to Portland. It really is the "perfect" area in my opinion. You have big city amenities without all of the big city problems. It is also extremely convenient to travel to larger cities if you desire with Amtrak, Bus, and Airport service right in Portland.

Old 09-12-2014, 11:27 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,717,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTechRocker View Post
Route 77 into Cape Elizabeth from the north is a grind, by Maine standards, at 5PM. I'm not sure how it would be coming from the south. I have a reverse commute since I live in Portland, so I don't have to deal with much traffic at all.

I've lived in Maine my entire life and moved from the Lewiston/Auburn area to Portland. It really is the "perfect" area in my opinion. You have big city amenities without all of the big city problems. It is also extremely convenient to travel to larger cities if you desire with Amtrak, Bus, and Airport service right in Portland.
Pretty much what High tech Rocker said... But I have lived in other places and I will just add to this that IMO traffic in Maine is when there are a lot of cars on the road.... that's it.. Traffic would not be a concern not to mention that in Maine you can live where you work if you want to..

Old 09-13-2014, 11:32 AM

3 posts, read 5,951 times
If you choose Kennebunkport, it will be an easy commute from there to Portland. Kport can get congested in the summer because of the influx of tourists.

The Casco Bay Bridge can be a challenge at times. Especially when they put up the draw bridge.

As mentioned before, I-295 through Portland and north of Portland has many slow-downs during the summer months, but since you're from Long Island this probably won't be a big deal for you.

Most of Portland's traffic issues are west of the city because it's all two lane roads that connect fast-growing suburbs such as Gorham, Standish, and Windham.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:18 PM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
Pretty much what High tech Rocker said... But I have lived in other places and I will just add to this that IMO traffic in Maine is when there are a lot of cars on the road.... that's it.. Traffic would not be a concern not to mention that in Maine you can live where you work if you want to..
Having lived in Portland as well big cities elsewhere (Boston and DC), I second this. "Traffic" in Portland, even at rush hour, is simply when the most cars are on the road. On some primary surface streets with lights like Forest Ave. you may occasionally have to wait at an intersection for two light cycles instead of the one cycle you'd sit through during off-peak hours. There are more cars on 295 at around 5pm than other times during the day, but barring an accident, stop and go/ bumper to bumper traffic doesn't exist. Like flycessna said, Traffic wouldn't even enter the discussion as far as concerns about living in Portland.

But don't take anyone's word for it... There are traffic cameras that you can access at any time. Check out 295 at "rush hour" to get an idea of what it's like. You can also access cameras on other roads by using that link.

In short, if you were only used to living in rural Maine, you'd find Portland's traffic to be more than you're used to. However, coming from a major metropolitan area, it most likely won't even be something you think about.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:16 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,675,502 times
"The kennebunkport or cape elizabeth area" is one of the most expensive in Maine, but for someone coming from some parts of Long Island it can seem to be a bargain.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:53 AM

880 posts, read 2,344,072 times
My brother lives in East Hampton. I am familiar with LI traffic. While it is bad, I find Portland traffic equally as bad. Traffic in and around the Cape and K'bunk isn't nearly the same as in Portland. The problem with Portland is its layout, and the fact that railroad tracks cross almost every major road leaving the peninsula. I currently live in downtown Portland, and it can take up to 30 minutes to cross town during rush hour. By comparison, I can jump on 295, and be in Freeport, ME in the same amount of time at the same time of day.

I recently purchased some property in Pownal. I do not love Maine, but I have a great job here and the quality of life is pretty good. My new property has nearly everything I could want so once I move, my view may change.

Old 09-20-2014, 07:28 AM

75 posts, read 196,849 times
traffic minimal compared to LI. Originally from MA, came here for college. Would leave if
I could, beautiful state, but hate where I live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area