Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2015, 12:57 PM

9 posts, read 10,006 times

Advertisements

Happy New Year, everyone!
My name is Michelle; new to this forum. A 43-year old single mom looking for a better, less stressful life.
After living in central PA for my entire life, I have made the huge decision to start a new life/clean slate up in the beautiful state of Maine.
I have an 8-year old daughter who is just as excited as I am to make this grandiose change.
We have a very close family friend who has lived in Maine for 10 years, so we will know at least a couple people up there once we make the move.
What I am trying to arrange at the moment is...I am hopeful to connect with other single mothers (or married couples) that reside in Maine & establish friendships/support groups so we do not feel so alone in a brand new state we are completely unfamiliar with.
Making such a move is pretty daunting, scary to say the least. So, I am aiming for advice, tips, anything & everything to make the transition less fearful, lol
The Ellsworth area has been recommended to us for the relocation, therefore I am also looking for a job, place to live, school district information, etc...
Any help would be tremendously appreciated. Thanks so much...great to be here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 08:39 PM

404 posts, read 778,033 times
Hi Michelle, and congrats on your decision.

I'm excited for you and I hope you love it here as much as i have. If ellsworth is the are you interested in you might want to repost in the Maine forum. Ellsworth is 2 to 2 and a half hours north of Portland so you may not get much help. You also might want to tell us what kind of work your looking for. Your best option for work is Jobsinme.com. and for a place to live, craigslist for rentals.

Just my take...Maine is a big state with varied economic and population areas. Ellsworth is a very nice area, and I might be wrong here but it doesn't stand out as single mom area to me. Possibly more vacation and retirement area. your more likely to find a wide variety of people and jobs and schools around the portland area.

I'd look at jobs at jobs in me, maps and local news to try to get a feel. Try http://bangordailynews.com/ as a good online newpaper that covers the bangor/Ellsworth areas and Maine news, sports, weather & breaking news | The Portland Press Herald / Maine Sunday Telegram for the portland area.

Don't lets people on here scare you away....but do come for a visit asap. Enjoy your search and yoru planning!

Old 01-01-2015, 09:11 PM

9 posts, read 10,006 times
Thank you so much, atrixwolfe!
I'm not exclusive with the Ellsworth idea; it was just a suggestion made by my friend that lives in Steuben. He seems to think Ellsworth would be a good start, however I'm open to all suggestions.
I actually realized that I mistakenly posted under the Portland forum a few minutes late, so later posted under Maine, lol.
I guess what I'm truly seeking is a relatively laid-back town; not tons of traffic, however we want to be somewhere with entertainment options...movie theater, coffee & book shops, close to an elementary school, etc...
Cost of living is a big factor, as well. I could go on & on....so much to look into; a bit overwhelming, but have to start somewhere.
Thanks again for your help!

Old 01-02-2015, 05:39 PM

404 posts, read 778,033 times
sorry my bangor daily news link is not right. Here you go Maine news, sports, politics and obituaries — Bangor Daily News — BDN Maine

Old 02-20-2015, 03:28 AM

810 posts, read 852,184 times
I am originally from PA. Western PA missing those snowy and very cold winters. All we get here is rain. I feel like you do about a less stressful life. I am fed up with the traffic and all the people, over crowded schools.

Basically I am tired of oregon and want to leave if I could convince my hubby
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area