Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 02:57 PM

62 posts, read 69,724 times

Advertisements

Spent Labor Day Weekend up in Maine & just had some thoughts. We stayed in Portland by USM.

The people are very nice. There are nice people in Boston too, but they are generally more reserved. It's a little of a culture shock at first, but something we could get used to.

Although Portland is a small city there seemed to be a lot to do, including farmer's markets, concerts, etc. The city was pretty easy to navigate & park. Also good quality restaurants. Lots of quality outdoor activities as well.

The surrounding towns were very nice, although I was surprised how spread out they were. We went to see neighborhoods of houses we liked & it seemed like we drove on and on off the highway to get to them. It seems like most towns had an area where there were things to do, but then most of the rest of the town was pretty rural. I also noticed that Cumberland, Cape Elizabeth, & Falmouth didn't really have town centers. We did eventually find Rte 1 in Falmouth, but not sure what there is to do in the other towns. The areas are affordable when you consider they're by beaches & a city. In Boston we would definitely be priced out for a similar area. Our favorite was the Kennebunk/Kennebunkport area. Looked like a typical New England town & has good schools.

We were looking at Maine as a possible destination to live. This trip definitely helped, although we will have to visit in the winter as well, since we're getting all the beauty of the summer. Don't know how much worse it could be than Boston, especially after last winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 07:21 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
It sounds like you enjoyed your trip.

Have you visited Bangor, or Ellsworth, Eastport?

Old 09-08-2015, 10:12 AM

62 posts, read 69,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
It sounds like you enjoyed your trip.

Have you visited Bangor, or Ellsworth, Eastport?

I have a friend who is from Bangor & I went up there for her wedding. I thought Portland was nicer. When we went up, we didn't really check out any of the surrounding area. Our trip was designed to enjoy ourselves, but also do research on the area. Next time we're up we'll probably do the Bar Harbor area.

Old 09-09-2015, 05:47 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,301,304 times
We moved here over a year ago, and solely by hubbys' desire to return to Maine. ( was stationed in Maine in the 70's ).
I, however, only knew of Maine what you read in tourist information sites etc so I was rather unsure what I thought about it.
I must say, and have said repeatedly on this forum, how shocked, amazed, surprised, blessed and Thrilled (!!) I am that we moved to Maine.
Everything from the people, the scenery, to the independance in the way of life here has totally exceeded expectations

Old 09-10-2015, 06:26 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,279,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdubs31 View Post
I have a friend who is from Bangor & I went up there for her wedding. I thought Portland was nicer.
They're different.

Even though Portland is a very small city, it still feels like a city with all the amenities --- nightlife, restaurants, colleges, cafes, etc., etc., etc. And it fronts the ocean.

Even though I know Bangor is a city, it feels more like a big town to me. Probably because it is so spread out. It certainly isn't as busy or metropolitan as Portland.

So a city person would probably prefer Portland. But I actually prefer Bangor. It doesn't seem as crowded. And once you're out of town you are REALLY out of town. You can be out in the boonies pretty quickly. And when it comes to concerts, Bangor is actually giving Portland a run for its money most summers. I have seen far better concerts in Bangor than Portland.

Portland is a great place to visit. Very much so. But I wouldn't want to live there. I could live in Bangor.

But to each his own.

Old 09-10-2015, 08:09 PM

321 posts, read 487,050 times
Agreed about Bangor. It's big enough to have one of most everything someone who wants to live in a small city could ask for, and more than most other small cities, like Pakistani and Vietnamese food, a new arena, a decent downtown, summer events, a major hospital, an airport, good local beer, etc. But the real benefit of Bangor is its location. It's an hour from Acadia National Park, Baxter State Park and several parts of the Appalachian Trail can be day hiked, there are many other great hiking opportunities nearby, the beach isn't too far away, great rafting is relatively close, and it's located right between some of the most interesting cities in Eastern Canada, like Montreal, Quebec City, and Halifax. Fun day trips include Bar Harbor, Belfast, Greenville, Camden/Rockport/Rockland, etc.

In summary, I can enjoy a touch of urbanity yet drive 30 minutes away and feel like I'm camping in a remote area. There are just a lot of options in terms of experiencing some urban-ish things but being close to uncrowded nature.

For people who are looking for a more urban experience, Portland is certainly better. It's a small city, but seems more sophisticated, and has a hipper, more energetic feel. But Bangor offers something pretty special that one can't find in Portland. So it's really about what's most important.

Old 09-11-2015, 05:59 AM

8 posts, read 13,066 times
Is Augusta a nice place to live in??

Old 09-11-2015, 07:28 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,279,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson_ View Post
I wouldn't live there. But some of the nearby towns like Hallowell and Gardiner are nice.

Old 10-04-2015, 07:04 PM

5 posts, read 9,003 times
Cumberland does have a town center. It's just not near Rte 1. We live in North Yarmouth which shares a school district with Cumberland. You may want to check out Yarmouth - very sought after town center.

Old 10-10-2015, 07:51 PM

18 posts, read 20,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson_ View Post
Not even a little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area