Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 01:50 AM

810 posts, read 851,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHeartMaine View Post
Seems like you know someone for every thread topic.

What is with your obsession with guns and concealed carry?
Makes him feel special and like a man. probably overcompensating. Not all Pits or mixes are vicious it is how they are trained that makes them or any other breed that way. I know people who have pit bulls or mixes and they are sweet dogs.

Sounds like the OP has a very nice dog. Landlord may want to meet the dog and get a feel for him to see if he is friendly. :-) I had to do that with my dog and she is a total mutt but looks like she has Sheppard and rottweiler in her. Of course she is very calm because I rained her to be calm and listen to my commands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2015, 02:31 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,126,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezy16 View Post
I'm planning to move to Portland in 2016. My dog, according to a Wisdom Panel DNA test, is part American Bulldog, the other part "Mixed Breed" (too mixed to tell), but obviously mixed with something smaller. He's visually identifiable as a pit mix. He's a calm, quiet, friendly, well-behaved apartment dog: If he didn't look the way he does, he'd be any landlord's dream when it comes to dog tenants. I'm currently in a one bedroom in a very big city so I've been through the steps before, but I was hoping for some Portland-specific answers since it's so much smaller.

Has anyone else with a pit mix had much luck finding housing in the city? Are there any neighborhoods/areas of Portland that are generally more dog-friendly than others that I should look in? I know all about the usual ways to try and find true dog-friendly housing -- CL, dog meet, private owners vs. companies, dog resume, but I know little about Portland's neighborhoods and if it's anything like most other cities, some areas are more pit-friendly than others. Thought I'd pick some of the locals' brains to see if any areas or maybe even apartment buildings or one-in-a-million rental companies without restrictions come to mind.
Would your current landlord, and past landlords (if any) give your dog a reference?

And Pits, when fighting in the ring were NEVER human aggressive. They were, and still tend to be dog aggressive (as do many terriers) but a well-bred and TRAINED Pit should not be human aggressive.

Old 11-08-2015, 05:05 PM

15 posts, read 28,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skelaki View Post
Would your current landlord, and past landlords (if any) give your dog a reference?

And Pits, when fighting in the ring were NEVER human aggressive. They were, and still tend to be dog aggressive (as do many terriers) but a well-bred and TRAINED Pit should not be human aggressive.
My landlord isn't the best landlord, but if I asked him to and actually followed through he'd definitely have nothing but positive things to say. I have a few more references for him too, along with a dog resume, etc. I'm thinking references, dog meets and renters insurance will all be very helpful. I've been hearing a lot of insurance companies are also changing their banned breeds to specifically ban "full breeds," which would be very helpful for us : )

Old 11-08-2015, 08:10 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,300,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezy16 View Post
My landlord isn't the best landlord, but if I asked him to and actually followed through he'd definitely have nothing but positive things to say. I have a few more references for him too, along with a dog resume, etc. I'm thinking references, dog meets and renters insurance will all be very helpful. I've been hearing a lot of insurance companies are also changing their banned breeds to specifically ban "full breeds," which would be very helpful for us : )
You stated your dog was American Bulldog mix. If you have those papers- that should be enough.
A reference from your previous landlord is helpful. Ask him questions would be having your dog licensed, never running at large, you cleaned up after your dog, etc.
You also can ask him if he would like to meet the dog but this bit of " dog resume etc" - if I were a landlord- this would seem like over kill to me and if anything- actually make me suspicious....

American bulldog mix, I would think, would be able to insure. Be prepared they will ask for your vet reference so if moving long distance, get your old vet records before you move. ( vaccine records etc and any notations they deem worthy).
As far as renters insurance- some companies will write the dog in as " coverage from damages" though most do not cover the dog at all except for liability.
One thing they will ask you though is does the landlord have the key to your place. One would think that someone would have the common sense not to enter a place that the owner is not home with any dog- but you would be surprised.... This would be something I would ask the landlord- in what conditions arise would he/she/they have to enter your place if you were not home. Any dog wold probably protect their home, but this also gives you a plan to say- prevent the dog from getting loose.

And if you have not already- I would seriously consider getting the dog spay or neutered..

Old 11-09-2015, 06:23 AM

15 posts, read 28,332 times
I'm well-versed in responsible dog ownership and the process of finding an apartment with a bully breed, but was mainly asking about locations in the city, as many cities have neighborhoods that are typically more dog-friendly than others. From what it sounds like, though, people are saying it's pretty consistent all around.

Old 11-09-2015, 06:25 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,253,485 times
It also depends on your landlord's insurance. Many insurance companies will not allow breeds considered "aggressive." Many dodge the whole issue by issuing weight limits to ensure that only small dogs are on the premises.

You should definitely ask about this BEFORE signing the lease, because many landlords won't. They want your money. But when the insurance company comes around for their annual inspection, if they see your dog on site that is prohibited under their policy, most landlords would rather lose you as a tenant rather than their building insurance.

So definitely ask. And get it in writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
View detailed profiles of: