Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 03:05 PM

90 posts, read 103,990 times

Advertisements

I hate Ogunquit. You can tell from the title.

Been going there for years. A few years ago some eedjit got an article on the town warrant to ban time share owners from obtaining beach parking passes during their time share stay. No matter that the t.s. owners pay a hefty property tax to the town for their week.

The selfish oafs at the town meeting voted it in of course. Why not? T.S. owners don't vote in town.

Taxation without representation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2016, 03:38 PM

37,453 posts, read 61,366,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftgrfr View Post
I hate Ogunquit.
A town with less than 900 residents, sounds lovely.

Old 07-05-2016, 01:45 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,256,756 times
It's a town whose economy relies almost exclusively on out of state tourists. Can't imagine how that might have problems.

Old 07-05-2016, 03:49 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,538,229 times
Quote:
Taxation without representation.
I don't want people who vacation in my town for a short time making decisions in the town I live in year round. There are more non-residents than residents paying taxes in town, and a lot of them are paying a heck of a lot less than those who live here. I wouldn't give up that kind of control so someone who's here for a couple of weeks can have convenient parking. It's not selfish, it's protection for the residents.

Old 07-05-2016, 07:25 PM

Bustling for a short period each year, then once all the noisy and demanding tourists leave I imagine it becomes a wonderful place to be.

Old 07-05-2016, 10:36 PM

155 posts, read 196,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
A town with less than 900 residents, sounds lovely.
More like a town where a handful of wealthy summer people rule like lords and ladies, passing whatever regulations they feel most benefit themselves onto the insignificant "peasants" below.

Old 07-06-2016, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywolf81 View Post
More like a town where a handful of wealthy summer people rule like lords and ladies, passing whatever regulations they feel most benefit themselves onto the insignificant "peasants" below.
Assuming there is a town meeting every month, given the size of the town there might be a total of 9 people who attend these meetings to discuss ordinances.

In your scenario the tourist 'lords and ladies' would only be able to attend meetings during the tourist season, where they may or may not out-number the 'peasants'. The majority of meetings would have only 'peasants' in attendance.

Old 07-06-2016, 06:52 AM

3,686 posts, read 7,425,013 times
We always have a nice time at the Ogunquit Restaurant The Front Porch - Let Us Entertain You! Piano Lounge

Old 07-07-2016, 07:53 AM

90 posts, read 103,990 times
Default taxation without representation

I doubt that summer residents and second homers had anything to say about it.

Town meetings are usually annual unless there is something special that needs attention. Town meetings are of two types, open meetings are such that any REGISTERED VOTER in the town may attend and vote, representational meetings are such that only elected members can attend and vote.

It only takes a few signatures to get an article on the warrant. Any selfish b**ch can do it. At a sparsely attended meeting it can pass. It doesn't effect them, so why not.

If the logic of the article were to carry forward, then summer residents and second homers wouldn't be allowed parking passes either. After all, they are not at the meeting to defend themselves. There would, however, be an uprising that would be heard all the way to Augusta.

Look, time share owners pay property tax for their one week - over $100. The one thing they once received was a chance to pay $10 for the privilege to park at the beach for a week. Ogunquit now charges up to $30 per day to park at the beach.

Yeah, Ogunquit sucks.

Last edited by ftgrfr; 07-07-2016 at 08:38 AM..

Old 07-09-2016, 01:26 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,207,396 times
I use to work at perkins cove fish market and oyster bar my senior yr in high school.. as a dishwasher prep cook,,,i shucked thousands of oysters and picked thousands of lobsters... was a bustling place -

that was over 30 yrs ago and people complained about parking back then-

30 $$ a day to park ??? wow!!

that's just foolish,,,,a town that survives on tourists cant be that unfriendly towards them

reminds me of the last time I went to swan island from bass harbor,,,,, between the parking and ferry ride it was 27.00 and they wonder why traffic is down?????? (and that was 6 yrs ago)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area