Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 01:10 PM

10 posts, read 23,533 times

Advertisements

My hubby and I have been checking out areas in Maine for the past year and I could really use some help. I was born and raised in RI and lived there for 21 years. I have vacationed in Maine since I was an infant. It was mostly in Bailey Island. I have visited York, Old Orchard Beach and camped when I was a kid at Sebago Lake!
We had thought about the Bangor area, but may need to change that since he owns a business in Kansas and will have to fly out twice a month until it is sold. It is cheaper to fly into Portland, plus my 4 yr old needs to see a pediatric endocrinologist a couple times a year and the 3 in the state seem to be in the Portland ares. We have been in Kansas for the past 9 years and I cannot wait to move back to New England!
We are looking for a quaint town that is not too big. It needs to be within 1 1/2 to 2 hours form the airport. Mu hubby drives all over the state of Kansas so driving does not bother him at all! All my hubby is going to want to do is kick back and relax! We want between 3 and 10 acres and maybe some water. I would rather shop the small local market than the big ones, nothing against them at all. I have an 8 yr old girl who will go to public school and the 4 yr old I will homeschool!
Any ideas would be much appreciated. I know there are a lot of threads like this, so I really do thank you for any input. My brother has some friends in Ripley and loves it. He says that once you visit Maine, you'll never want to leave. It is the perfect place. I agree!

Last edited by rigyrl68; 05-13-2008 at 01:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 02:10 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,289,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigyrl68 View Post
We are looking for a quaint town that is not too big. It needs to be within 1 1/2 to 2 hours form the airport.
Depends on what you mean by "quaint" and "not too big," I guess, but off the top of my head, I would suggest you look around:

Brunswick/Topsham (30 minutes to Portland)
Freeport/Durham (20 minutes to Portland)
Gardiner (45 minutes to Portland; 15 minutes to Augusta)
Wiscasset (45 minutes to Portland)

If you're going to have kids in public schools, the only towns I'd definitely caution you about would probably be Biddeford, Saco, and Lewiston.

Definitely make a visit before you take the plunge. Unless things I have changed, we found it quite a lot cheaper to fly into Manchester, NH rather than Portland, ME.

Old 05-13-2008, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Depends on what you mean by "quaint" and "not too big," I guess, but off the top of my head, I would suggest you look around:

Brunswick/Topsham (30 minutes to Portland)
Freeport/Durham (20 minutes to Portland)
Gardiner (45 minutes to Portland; 15 minutes to Augusta)
Wiscasset (45 minutes to Portland)

If you're going to have kids in public schools, the only towns I'd definitely caution you about would probably be Biddeford, Saco, and Lewiston.

Definitely make a visit before you take the plunge. Unless things I have changed, we found it quite a lot cheaper to fly into Manchester, NH rather than Portland, ME.
By quaint and not too big, I just mean something that's quiet with small shops in the downtown area, and not a large population. I would say less than 4,000. I will check out Manchester. Thanks for the advice. I appreciate the input and we do plan on coming up again soon!

Old 05-13-2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:
By quaint and not too big, I just mean something that's quiet with small shops in the downtown area, and not a large population. I would say less than 4,000.
A town of less than 4,000 within an hour of Portland with downtown shops... I'm drawing a blank. Gardiner is within 45 minutes of Portland, has downtown shops, but its population is over 6,000. Brunswick's is probably around 20,000.

There are places like Bowdoinham or Durham that have a population of well below 4,000 and are within an hour of Portland, but they don't have a downtown area with shops. In Bowdoinham's case, you'd have to drive into Brunswick or Lisbon. In Durham, you're probably closest to Freeport or Lisbon.

Quote:
I will check out Manchester.
For airline flights, yes. Manchester is definitely a big city. Nice place to fly into, but I wouldn't live there.

Old 05-13-2008, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
A town of less than 4,000 within an hour of Portland with downtown shops... I'm drawing a blank. Gardiner is within 45 minutes of Portland, has downtown shops, but its population is over 6,000. Brunswick's is probably around 20,000.

There are places like Bowdoinham or Durham that have a population of well below 4,000 and are within an hour of Portland, but they don't have a downtown area with shops. In Bowdoinham's case, you'd have to drive into Brunswick or Lisbon. In Durham, you're probably closest to Freeport or Lisbon.

For airline flights, yes. Manchester is definitely a big city. Nice place to fly into, but I wouldn't live there.
Darn it! Maybe I am looking in the wrong area and should try another area of Maine. We don't really want to be near the ski resorts or too far north. We were also hoping to save some $ on flights. There is over a $200 difference between flying into Portland and flying into Bangor. Bangor is nice too, but I am sucker for the ocean! It's just frustrating to spend hours and hours online. I was thinking of Harpswell too, since I know that area a little. Honestly, I am looking for a Mayberry type town! Thank you for the help!

Last edited by rigyrl68; 05-13-2008 at 04:07 PM..

Old 05-13-2008, 06:08 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,226,483 times
Hello rigyrl68 and welcome to the forum. What you will find and where will vary greatly based on your price range. As you get closer to Portland, the property values rise. With gas approaching $4 a gallon we are starting to see more interest in lower priced houses in Portland. In your case, you might consider the towns west of the city such as Raymond, Gray, New Gloucester, Poland, Mechanic Falls and others within an hour of Portland.

Old 05-14-2008, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
Hello rigyrl68 and welcome to the forum. What you will find and where will vary greatly based on your price range. As you get closer to Portland, the property values rise. With gas approaching $4 a gallon we are starting to see more interest in lower priced houses in Portland. In your case, you might consider the towns west of the city such as Raymond, Gray, New Gloucester, Poland, Mechanic Falls and others within an hour of Portland.
Thank you! We are looking to spend no more than $300,000. I will check out those towns. My husband says it can be within a 2 hrs drive of Portland. We would like some land also. We are very laid back, friendly people. I liv ein my jeans an t's. Thanks for the advice.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:45 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,466,823 times
Smile Welcome rigyrl68!

Welcome to the forum! I used to live on Orr's Island! Unfortunately, housing in that area is now priced very high. I agree with the MarkS and WhoFanMe, the towns they've mentioned are all within the perimeters of what you're looking for. The Brunswick area has a fairly large medical community and you'll be close enough to Portland to find a good doctor for your child if there isn't one in Brunswick. Good luck with your search!

Old 05-16-2008, 11:11 AM

Quote:
I was thinking of Harpswell too, since I know that area a little. Honestly, I am looking for a Mayberry type town! Thank you for the help!
Harpswell is nice, but its "downtown area" is fairly limited. You'll find yourself driving into Brunswick or Topsham to do most of your shopping.

Another thing to keep in mind about Harpswell is the nature of the town itself. The year-round permanent residents can be sparse in some parts. One of the ladies who works with my wife lives out in Harpswell. She is the only permanent resident on her road. From about September to May, the other five houses on her road are vacant. People only come up for the summer.

Someone suggested the towns west of Portland like Gray and Gloucester. Might be worth a look. I'm just not as familiar with that part of the state as someone else.

Definitely come for a visit before you decide on your move. You'll be glad you did!

Old 05-16-2008, 09:30 PM

Thank you all for the help! I can't wait to come back out. I was in York, Old Orchard beach and Bailey Island last summer. My kids still talk about it all the time! I will check out those towns. Feel free to shoot more ideas my way! 2 hours gives me quite a large circle to check out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area