Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 07:20 AM

10 posts, read 26,219 times

Advertisements

That's an interesting comparison. I know the housing won't be a problem for us in Maine, we've made alot of money on our existing home, but pay about $4,000 in taxes and it's a townhouse. We can't afford a single family home in Fairfax County. MS13 gangs are also a huge problem, crime in general is high. We've noticed that most things are comparable in Va to Maine, gas, food, etc. Although we pay for natural gas and electricity. There is never a month that goes by where you don't have either the a/c on or the heat. Summers are really bad here. We've been coming to Maine twice a year now for about 12 years. I think we have a good idea of what to expect. I think we will luck out in Brunswick as far as housing goes, and the community will bounce back. Talking to the peopel in Brunswick, most can't wait for the Navy to pull out.

Old 10-30-2008, 04:50 PM

643 posts, read 1,486,004 times
Default Perplexed and bummed....

Burke,
We lived in northern virginia for 17 years but we left over 10 years ago, in 1996. Nonethless I'm shocked to read your comments about gangs. What a shame. I miss the WDC area and my husband is from there. The crime comment also shocked me. We lived in Virginia Run out in Centreville for the last seven years and it was a very safe area. I am (was) a big fan of Fairfax Hospital and Fairfax schools. I'm both perplexed and bummed....

Old 10-30-2008, 06:56 PM

15 posts, read 49,749 times
Sunday1, I grew up in Northern Va, not too far from Centreville. I left about ten years ago although still visit my family there every few months. I now get lost when I go! Everything is built up and out and yes, gangs and crime are definitely big problems!

Old 10-31-2008, 06:18 AM

Sunday1, Centreville is still ok, but you would be surprised about some areas you just don't go to. Fairfax Hospital was once a great hospital....now you'd be better off making "reservations" to go to the hospital because it's so over crowded. Fairoaks has a smaller hospital still in the INOVA system, but that too is swamped. Fairfax County has well over 1 million people and growing. Schools are so crowded. My son is a senior and has 35 kids in his class. Fairfax County is wonderful and it has afforded my family many wonderful things but it's time for small town. Once my senior graduates, my husband and our 4th grader are heading north to Maine. Sometimes too large and too diverse is not a good thing.

Old 10-31-2008, 07:42 AM

643 posts, read 1,486,004 times
Wow (to Burke and Kelly). I'm so surprised by your updates, but I'm sort of glad to know. Maybe it's time for me to stop feeling "homesick" about that area. We're looking forward to moving east again but this time hopefully to the Brunswick area or another small town near the coast with decent healthcare.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:52 AM

Sunday1 - do you live in Maine now? if so, where? We've done alot of research on Brunswick. Once the base closes for good, for a time it will be tough. There is a website out there that explains what Brunswick intends to do with the land. We were just in Brunswick in July and even then it wasn't very busy. We talked to restaurant and shop owners who were getting scared.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:46 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,465,461 times
Burke-

I left the Brunswick area just over two years ago after almost 48 years. Both of my children still live there and my youngest sister is moving back there from Portland next month. It's a nice town with great schools. As you saw, it's a nice area. The downtown is a very lively place. If you were there in July (as was I) and thought it didn't seem "busy enough" for you, than perhaps you should be looking for another town. Tourism was doing quite well then and what you saw should have been about average. I'd be interested to hear which restaurant and shop owners you spoke with. Brunswick has survived mill closures and factory closures as long as I can remember. The town will hardly be destitute nor will it fall down. The base closure is not all doom and gloom. The reality is that the base stopped a lot of it's affairs a couple years ago and moved many people to Jacksonville FL over 2 years ago. Big companies are looking into moving into the base area, and some will indeed move in. Housing will become more affordable in that area due to the closure as there will be an excess of it.

I would have jumped into this thread earlier however it appeared that you and the other poster only wanted to talk about Fairfax County. If you haven't yet, please send a DM to MarkS. I haven't seen him on here in a while, but he moved to Brunswick a couple years ago and is very happy there. I travel home approx every 8- 12 weeks. Please contact me if I can be of any assistance.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:36 AM

Fort Lauderadle mermaid, that's a very defensive response. I did not say Brunswick wasn't "busy enough for me". I said it wasn't very busy, and it wasn't. Store owners and restaurant owners are afraid that they will have to lay workers off. That is real. Houses have been on the market for over 2 years now, with more and more houses coming on the market. I never said it was "doom and gloom" as you put it. I'm sure over time, hopefully, companies will move right in. If you would have jumped into this thread earlier, I'm sure we could have pulled ourselves away from talking about Fairfax County. Geez lighten up!

Old 11-03-2008, 10:34 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,465,461 times
Default Defensive? Moi?

Hey, I'm pretty light actually. I was just sitting back loving it all. I know now everything I need to know about Fairfax County, which is a GREAT thing if one is interested in moving THERE.

The term "busy" is all pretty relative. Busy to Brunswick may be a little different than the busy you may be accustomed to. If I have to sit at an intersection for more than 4 minutes, that's busy. If it takes me more than 5 minutes to get from the top of the hill on Maine St to the Topsham bridge, that's busy.

Houses have been on the mrkt for two years due to the states economy, not due to the towns economy. There's plenty of old money in the Brunswick area as well as new people moving in every week.

The restaurant and shop owners you spoke with I would assume are the newest to town. The galleries that now line Maine St? LOL! Other than Grand City closing it's doors soon, the others have been there for years and will sustain. I'd love to hear which restaurant owners you spoke with, that one cracked me up. Lay offs happen a lot in Maine. We're pretty seasonal up there. They'll rehire their employees again in the spring.

Have a nice day.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:47 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,671,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday1 View Post
According to Money Magazine/CNN's cost of living comparison table (see below). Burke & Fairfax weren't available so the closest city they have is Arlington (compared to Portland, ME):

Comparable salary (to $70,000/yr in Arlington, VA)
in Portland, ME
$58,676
If you move from Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA to
Portland, ME ....

Groceries will cost:
7% less

Housing will cost:
39% less

Utilities will cost:
28% more

Transportation will cost:
5% less

Healthcare will cost:
4% less
I do not see anything that factors in heating costs. I find it hard to believe the Housing costs would include heating in this report. Plan on $2000-$10,000
in additional costs for heating depending on the size and age of your home.
Let me also side with The Mermaid here. This summer appeared to be just as busy despite the high gas prices as any other summer in this area. (I live 3 miles from Brunswick in Freeport) There is some concern that the base closing will affect sales at Wal-Mart and the like but will do little to affect non-chain family owned restaurants. The folks from the Base seldom venture into the town and when they do it's not to eat at the fancier establishments in town. They simply won't spend the money. Many have kids and may hit Mc Donalds or Applebees they don't eat at The Back Street Bistro or Richard's. The tourists do though! Try getting into Seadog over the bridge in Topsham on a Saturday night....all year 'round. You'll wait 90 minutes!
If a restaurant in Brunswick is not doing well it's either winter or they're doing somnething wrong!
I think the base closing will affect the area but not a whole lot and the Brunswick area will survive. Assuming the State survives!

Last edited by Maineah; 11-03-2008 at 01:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area