Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 10:22 AM

584 posts, read 1,340,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicanne View Post
Hi, I'm a very recent transplant from the east, almost 7 weeks ago now. Yes, I am VERY happy with my decision. Times are tight, but they were tight where I was in Florida as well; I'd rather times be tight in a place where I'm happy. And no, I never wish I had stayed where I was; I was very glad to escape. I telecommute for my job, so finding a job was not an issue, but because of cutbacks I'm not making as much as I did a year ago when I was planning this move. However, I am pretty creative when it comes to being thrifty, and I am also working on other ways to produce extra income, with writing and crafts. Have you been here long?
7 weeks is really not enough to see & feel the whole thing...Trust me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 01:35 PM

240 posts, read 483,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery1 View Post
7 weeks is really not enough to see & feel the whole thing...Trust me
You're certainly right about that! I've really seen only a fraction of everything, plus I haven't experienced a Portland winter yet. However, the OP asked for "recent" transplants, so I gave my impressions thus far, which is all I could do.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:21 PM

172 posts, read 537,148 times
My wife and I are coming up on two years here from the east. Overall, we like the area a lot. Quality of life is high, winters are mild (though grey and wet) and there is a lot of great outdoor activites. We have made some good friends here and just really enjoy all of the natural beauty and outdoor recreation activites. Portland is a good size for us - enough diversity of activities without being massively over populated or dense. Seattle is also only 3 hours away. The overall work ethic/culture is much lower than the east coast and so there is far less pressure to work your life away if you are in a corporate type position. There are great local craft breweries, wineries, restaurants, food carts, oragnic local farmers, etc. to enjoy if you are a foodie or beer/wine fan.

Downsides are that Oregon's economy is in the toilet and typically is, even in "good" times. My wife has struggled to find a job and has a master's degree and I certainly worry about the lack of quality positions in my field should I have a need or desire to change jobs. Networking is so critical here. Individual tax burden is the highest of any state I have lived in when factoring in all aspects and real estate prices, while cheap by west coast standards, are pricey compared to most of the rest of the country. The Portland mentality rules the roost politically which means a very left leaning government and political agenda and no balancing points of view. Depending on your point of view, you may love that or hate it.

Every place has it's good points and bad points but when we look at the overall picture, we are happy here and will be here for awhile. Portland generates very different feelings in different people and so it is very difficult to say that just because we like it, you will also or because we hate it, you will also. Take everyone's comments with a grain of salt, use them all to build an overall picture. It's tough but there is a lot of good discussion on this board on positives and negatives. Good luck!

Old 08-17-2010, 07:36 PM

892 posts, read 2,392,936 times
I'm just popping in to say that after years of research, visits, and networking my wife just got word today she'll be interviewing in Portland soon, and we're both ECSTATIC! We could be moving out there next summer if things go well...and whether it's this thread (after a suitable amount of time) or others, hopefully you'll be hearing more from us!

I am soooooooooo excited right now!

Old 08-17-2010, 08:01 PM

639 posts, read 1,599,326 times
Yay!

Old 08-18-2010, 10:51 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,580,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khyron View Post
I'm just popping in to say that after years of research, visits, and networking my wife just got word today she'll be interviewing in Portland soon, and we're both ECSTATIC! We could be moving out there next summer if things go well...and whether it's this thread (after a suitable amount of time) or others, hopefully you'll be hearing more from us!

I am soooooooooo excited right now!
Well khyron, I have to tell you that Portland is the city that most resembles Vancouver in my opinion. I just love the place and I really hope to get back there for a holiday again. Mt Hood is one of my fav places on earth and it's so close to town. Just one beautiful place and so liberal you Would almost think you were in Canada. LOL

Old 08-18-2010, 05:17 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,067,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcims View Post
I am looking to move to Portland area within a year or two. As soon as I can get a job lined up. One thing I want to say is that peoples opinions are just that. For everyone who loves it here, there will be people who hate it. People who would love to go back home to their family/friends or are here because of their spouse, etc. It does not mean that you will feel the same as they do. I would not really be leaving anything behind besides my parents, but that is okay and I don't particularly see them that much anymore anyway. For people like me, it's a easy choice and not to much to look back upon. Like others have said, research and research, so you know what you're going to expect. If you absolutely love clear skys and sunshine, you probably will get sick of the weather from what i take of it. If you could afford it, which i can't, maybe take a 3 day trip there or something.

I have mixed feelings on it. I could move to Portland in 2-3 yrs, not sure yet, but like Anne, I live in FL and I dislike most of FL. I only like a few cities overall. Oregon is a lot better imo. I would welcome a change there, but like others said, jobs are tight and probably don't wanna end up in the wrong end of town either.
I live with parents currently, and Im the type who could move miles away from them and not feel too sad about it. I think thats the independant spirit in me though. I'd like to move to Portland if possible though.. it seems hard to think about now though on how I would do it especially when you don't even rent a place currently.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:21 AM

110 posts, read 323,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Not the best of times right now.. Jobs are hard to come by and times are hard right now....However..I am seeking out recent transplants that have made the move from the east coast to Oregon.....Are you happy with your decision? Are you having a difficult time where you are.......Do you wish you had stayed where you are... Please weigh in on this discussion... I need to hear from other people who have made the move...
My wife and I moved to Portland this past January and do not regret it whatsoever. Having lived in Phoenix for the past 15 years (originally from MI) with its 300+ days of sunshine, the rainy cloudy weather is a very welcome change. We're able to live on one income for the time being since our only bill is rent for our loft. Also, I love that we can walk just about everywhere, and take public transportation or rent a car for the longer distances. Of course everybody has a different opinion, but you can definitely put me in the "love it" category!

Old 07-26-2013, 08:59 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,807,148 times
Thought I would resurrect this thread since the economy is better. Any Carolinians/Eastcoasters that have made the move to Oregon? How has the move been? Was it a change for the better? Are you happier or do you have regrets? Please share your experiences.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:19 PM

143 posts, read 300,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Thought I would resurrect this thread since the economy is better. Any Carolinians/Eastcoasters that have made the move to Oregon? How has the move been? Was it a change for the better? Are you happier or do you have regrets? Please share your experiences.
Wow someone brought an old thread back.

Anyways I am back East now after trying a move to the West Coast. I only could hack Portland for 3 and a half months. It was that bad. Weather was hotter than usual last summer when I was there too.. some terrible heatwaves much like the EC is experiencing now actually. Overall climate there is fine though. I like colder summers and the idea of less snow like Portland has BUT they also do not have the equipment to shovel snow and plow so that's also bad.

Onto why I really left Portland after a short time.. EVEN after a LOT of research I still couldn't. I thought I researched everything fine and I even thought I had enough connections through my stepdad.. My moms new husband who happened to live there too. It turns out I didn't though. I got a job at this place called Duck Delivery but it failed hard ntm I wasn't on the first shift with the boss my stepdad knew who was Italian. They stuck me with some other jerk.. just my luck right and after 12 days they cut me. People complained about me behind my back to the bosses but didn't have the balls to tell me to my face.. That's Portland for you.. very passive aggressive and cutting but also not too direct either. I met a few nice people there but unfortunately not many. Most were not. Most imo only hid behind politeness like the Klan used to do. That attitude is still there ladies and gentleman and I am somewhat race conscious myself. So if even I had trouble there, I can't imagine any other outsider. I felt black at times living there I won't lie and never from the outward racists that's just the thing and even I tend to be honest about race at times too. I am Italian and irish mostly and I know theres people who hate that element out there, they just won't say it to your face. I never experienced bigotry from anyone open about it.. only the cowards in which I detected it from who never would come out and say it or they acted "tolerant". Depending on where you go though, you could easily get ignored if you try to be friendly or even have a question to ask.. that's my point. Business people there are friendlier because well, they gotta make a living but yea, I found in my experiences that people who own businesses there are pretty nice and have had a few convos with them, but as far as the general populace, few and far between. I seriously am not sure any NW movement can make it up there with a bunch of new transplants because many people cannot stay up there due to the reasons I mentioned. I am referring to the NW Front. Maybe after a collapse where most of the NW residents perish in time but other than that, I don't see it working in that social climate with closet bigots everywhere and "tolerant" liberals.

Now as far as coming back home. Its changed some for the bad depending on where you go but near Boston is getting better so I got work to do to get there, but I can find my ideal Portland like place right outside Boston and that's also what I learned. Why the hell did I go all the way out there in the first place? The rain, what appeared to be nice people, the beer scene, can be a little freaky and get away with it. Even if I was a bleeding liberal, I really feel I still wouldn't like Portland. Only IF I was in Hawthorne and had money to spend. That's it. Not anywhere else. It would feel too red for me otherwise and it did. The only liberalness I found seemed to be rebellion from the red politics but you could clearly tell the people were from the same seed. Easily.. dating blacks, trying to "make it up to them" and so forth which I could not understand. kinda on the in bred side too and then you had the hipsters which I didn't even have many problems with. I remember one time I was in Hawthorne.. I had this convo with a woman at some Hawthorne brewery. She might have been left wing or even a lesbian but not sure but she was by herself and kinda on the older side like 40s-50s. She kinda dressed manly though but real nice. I probably had a better conversation with her than some of these others there though.

Last edited by BackToMA; 07-26-2013 at 02:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland