Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 11:31 AM

74 posts, read 199,148 times

Advertisements

Has anyone taken to consideration the sheer size of TX? Because there is so much usable, CHEAP land, it's no wonder why companies have migrated there. It's a win win for the employees and the employers. Cost of living is low because there's an abundance of space. There is no way I would ever live in Texas (or any Southern state for that matter), but I know many people would sacrifice quality of life for a paycheck; I'm just not one of those people. My friends that live in Houston hate the weather, and frankly don't like the people that much either. I would rather work for an honorable company that values their employees and weathers the rough seas of the economy for the good of everyone, rather than work for a company who's only goal is profit margin. Just my 2 cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 11:48 AM

5,467 posts, read 8,194,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXBound View Post
Has anyone taken to consideration the sheer size of TX? Because there is so much usable, CHEAP land, it's no wonder why companies have migrated there. It's a win win for the employees and the employers. Cost of living is low because there's an abundance of space.
Texas is much more densely populated than Oregon. Oregon has plenty of space for companies. Lack of space is not an excuse.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 08-20-2010 at 06:17 AM..

Old 08-02-2010, 12:05 PM

Have you ever considered that maybe Portland does not want to become a urban sprawl mecca, like San Jose or Houston? I'm not using lack of space as an excuse.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:32 PM

172 posts, read 537,368 times
Quote:
I would rather work for an honorable company that values their employees and weathers the rough seas of the economy for the good of everyone, rather than work for a company who's only goal is profit margin. Just my 2 cents.
The key word is "work". In Texas their are enough jobs still that you might actually have a choice. In Oregon, with it's poor economic performance, many people can't work at all, never mind at a company of their choosing. This has been a problem for several decades, not just in the last few years. Oregon could offer more incentives to business without sacrificing social integrity but the pols choose not to - they obviously skipped the econ classes and went straight for the masters in advanced basket weaving.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:35 PM

716 posts, read 2,819,457 times
Quote:
I would rather work for an honorable company that values their employees and weathers the rough seas of the economy for the good of everyone, rather than work for a company who's only goal is profit.
Profit is what will fund the "rough seas for the good of everyone". Profit will provide the means to grow and expand jobs. Profit will result in tax revenue from earnings, employee wages, property taxes, dividends, capital gains, etc.

Profit will reduce the dependence of public assistance programs.

Profit will also provide investors with a stable economic foundation. (many of which are basis for 401K's, pensions funds, PERS stability, etc)

A demonstrated track record of profits will slow the departure of businesses to countries like China.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:08 PM

117 posts, read 274,599 times
Quote:
I would rather work for an honorable company that values their employees and weathers the rough seas of the economy for the good of everyone, rather than work for a company who's only goal is profit margin. Just my 2 cents.
Last time I checked, profits were required if you planned on staying in business... rough seas and no profits lead to your ship going out of business.... unless of course you are the government and can just print more money.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:35 AM

157 posts, read 523,695 times
One easy way to get companies to stop focusing on profits is to stop demanding paychecks.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefr View Post
Profit is what will fund the "rough seas for the good of everyone". Profit will provide the means to grow and expand jobs. Profit will result in tax revenue from earnings, employee wages, property taxes, dividends, capital gains, etc.

Profit will reduce the dependence of public assistance programs.

Profit will also provide investors with a stable economic foundation. (many of which are basis for 401K's, pensions funds, PERS stability, etc)

A demonstrated track record of profits will slow the departure of businesses to countries like China.
Wow... I guess I've been truly spoiled by the ethics of the company I currently work for. It is a small business; we deal with government contracting (so there's little to no profit) and the company runs specifically to give people jobs. I work in accounting, so I know our profits. The one year we made a good profit all the employees got a huge bonus. We get money in, we pay overhead. The employees work their asses off for the contracts, and they get paid. We get full medical/dental/vision/matching 401k. THIS is the kind of company I truly respect; unfortunately they seem few and far between.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:29 PM

506 posts, read 1,314,072 times
I'm confused. The company has a contract from the government just so people can have jobs? Or it helps people get government contracts? What is it's function? Is it a non-profit?

Old 08-03-2010, 01:54 PM

We are a software development company, and we sell the software to the gov't. The gov't does not pay for profit (at least not much). No, we are not a non-profit. We are not a public company, and we don't have profit sharing. The owners are amazing people and their main concern is the employee (and their own paycheck, let's be real). I respect this company on many many levels and wish there were more companies that functioned in the same manor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland