Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Kayaking, poetry slams, rockclimb gym, yoga, spiritual growth: Eugene or Portland?
Eugene 5 55.56%
Portland 4 44.44%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 02:57 PM

Location: Philadelphia, PA (Wanting to move) --Burlington, VT, Asheville, NC, Boulder, CO?
129 posts, read 404,414 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am wanting to talk to a few Portlander's regarding a possible move I am thinking about making out to Portland. I would be coming cross-country.

It would be worth mentioning that I have never been to Portland or even visited, however, I have been told by people that I would like it and seem like the "West Coast" kind of person (whatever that means) lol

I am wondering if anyone can think of any open-ended, clarifying questions that would help determine whether in fact I am a good candidate for being a Portland resident?

I am also wondering if any of you attend Alanon at the Alamo Club or go to poetry slams? (if not, it's okay; please continue reading).

My hobbies are: Kayaking, camping, music, concerts, museums, nature, photography, rollerblading, poetry, Alanon, personal development, lectures, workshops, tarot, psychology, MBTI, Enneagram, writing, reading, etc.

I will be looking for potential friends before and after moving to Portland. I am specifically looking for friends with similar interests and values. I am not into drugs, smoking, or alcohol. I am okay with having friends who use alcohol moderately, but I have no interest in being friends with anyone who does drugs, including marijuana.

If I decide to move to Portland, I will be looking for a place to stay temporarily. I understand Craigslist is a nice resource to use. I wonder how reliable Couchsurf.com is? I would love to stay with college juniors, seniors, or graduate students.

Are the parking spots in Portland measured? Are most of the parking spots metered? How much, on average, do meters cost? Are there a plethora of free spots? Briefly explain parking to me

How much would a "monthly public transportation" pass cost? Without getting too detailed!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 03:21 PM

639 posts, read 1,599,491 times
O.k. answer the following:

#1. Elvis or The Beatles?

#2. would you rather be poor but madly in love, or rich beyond your wildest dreams but alone?

#3. rather date a musician or a doctor?

#4. rather live near a mountain or a beach?

#5. rather drink bad coffee or good tea?

#6. rather have noisy neighbors or nosy neighbors?

Old 08-08-2010, 04:42 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,458,443 times
Wow! Where's the hanging interregation light? I will answer your only non-detailed question: an all zone monthly pass on Tri-Met is $85.00.

Old 08-08-2010, 05:59 PM

Location: Philadelphia, PA (Wanting to move) --Burlington, VT, Asheville, NC, Boulder, CO?
Cool, does the $85.00 include all the rails then? ie, bus system, too?

Old 08-08-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroseinrain View Post
O.k. answer the following:

#1. Elvis or The Beatles?

#2. would you rather be poor but madly in love, or rich beyond your wildest dreams but alone?

#3. rather date a musician or a doctor?

#4. rather live near a mountain or a beach?

#5. rather drink bad coffee or good tea?

#6. rather have noisy neighbors or nosy neighbors?
Answers:

1. Both... literally. I am not super opposed to either, or strongly favor one over the other.

2. Poor and madly in love

3. Hmm... both seem good! Hmmm... again, either. Not opposed to either/or.

4. Yikes... good point... I have never lived in either!

5. TEA. I do not like coffee; I love tea.

6. Nosy; I do not like noise.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:42 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,458,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not2bforgot10 View Post
Cool, does the $85.00 include all the rails then? ie, bus system, too?
Yes, that would be for all Tr-Met tansportation.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:06 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,484,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Wow! Where's the hanging interregation light? I will answer your only non-detailed question: an all zone monthly pass on Tri-Met is $85.00.
Ah, well, kinda of, until September 1st, which is fast approaching.

TriMet: Fare Increase Takes Effect September 1, 2010
New monthly fare will be $88.00 All Zone, Adult.
New monthly fare will be $77,00 for 2 zone Adult.

To the OP:
Tickets / passes are good for all TriMet vehicles and modes of transportation.
(Light Rail, Tram, Bus, WES, heavy rail) A ticket is good for 2 hours of riding, any direction, any mode. For example, ride bus to foodie cart pod for breakfast and coffee to go plus newspaper, ride bus back home, one ticket.

TriMet paraplegic transportation service, LIFT para, can use regular TriMet tickets, but will find a LIFT ticket much cheaper. Special Handicap qualifications in effect.
TriMet: LIFT Paratransit Program
All buses, and Light Rail are wheelchair, and mildly disabled, friendly and offer better and more schedule reliability service (not as long a wait for bus to show up.)

Buses and Light Rail are bicycle friendly. Which does not mean you are guaranteed a place for *your* bicycle if someone else is using the rack or hook.

Oh, and monthly passes and packet of 10 adult tickets can be purchased at most larger chain grocery stores. Annual pass, 1/2 month pass, and other non-normal tickets can be purchased at TriMet Store in Pioneer Square Downtown Portland.

Phil

PS: the shipping and handling fees for ordering TriMet tickets and passes over the internet are also going up on Sept. 1st.

Last edited by philwithbeard; 08-08-2010 at 07:35 PM.. Reason: Details, Details, Details, I need to stop adding too much details.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:34 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,484,973 times
Quote:
....If I decide to move to Portland, I will be looking for a place to stay temporarily. I understand Craigslist is a nice resource to use. I wonder how reliable Couchsurf.com is? I would love to stay with college juniors, seniors, or graduate students...
I used Room Exchange Network when I first arrived in Portland. 1/2 price of cheapest motel.
Last I looked at the site for Portland, things had gone downhill a lot. YMMV,
**{This is where all your internal instincts should be giving you blinking lights.....}**
The Room Exchange Network Home

Quote:
....Are the parking spots in Portland measured? Are most of the parking spots metered? How much, on average, do meters cost? Are there a plethora of free spots? Briefly explain parking to me,,,
Depends on the neighborhood. Specific places, and neighborhoods, people don't move their cars on the street for fear of loosing a spot. Heated arguments. Best is to make sure you have off street parking with your apartment rent.

In downtown, street parking is a 'Pay & Park'. Every block so designated is posted, and a vending machine is near by to purchase parking ticket. Ticket is taped to car's passenger's window. (or closest front-side window to street sidewalk on one-way streets.)
Portland Parking Guide
Aside: the 'official' City of Portland parking guide reads like a DMV manual, this link is NOT written by a lawyer.

During in-frequent snow accumulation (2 or 3 times a season) on Portland's roads, all bets are off. You BE on your OWN leaving your car on the streets. No road salt, thus Portland get to play the adult version of Bumper Cars.

Phil

Old 08-09-2010, 12:50 AM

639 posts, read 1,599,491 times
BTW: I wasn't going anywhere with my questions, I just wanted to see if you'd tell me off. Based on your answers: Portland!

Old 08-09-2010, 08:24 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,457,186 times
Please make your decision.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 08-09-2010 at 08:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland