Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 10:41 AM

5 posts, read 6,364 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am somewhat of the leader of a trip out to OR to find
a nice place to live..
We are looking for apts or duplexes etc with young community.
Coming from Texas by the way
we could afford an apt around 700.00 and under,a month.
I am aiming for routine outdoors stuff
at the sametime close to a city for waiter job or whatever.
I drive a moped as main transportation but have car,
I hope some one will reply as I have read similar forums but not for young adult here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 10:45 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,446,341 times
You guys should find jobs locally at companies that have branches in Portland then transfer here.

Otherwise be sure to have a years worth of savings on hand because even for waiter jobs, things are still pretty bad.

At $700 a month, you're going to be very limited in where you can live. I'd usually recommend Beaverton, but I just looked at places recently and prices have jumped higher then I imagined they would.

Most everyone here is going to recommend that you stay where you are for a couple of more years until the economy turns around. Go to school, get some experience, save up money, tc.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:52 AM

780 posts, read 1,578,061 times
I hate to be a sourpuss, but let me be a voice of reason.

1. The Portland market has a higher than average share of those without significant skills, thus they gravitate towards lower skill jobs like waitering, retail, etc. Unfortunately, the demand is currently far greater than the supply, so you may have a very tough time trying to find employment. Although I have a very good job, my wife has been looking for part-time "whatever" work for the last 8 months. So far, she has found a 12-14 hour a week job at a retail shop, and that's been about it.

2. $700 or less a month isn't going to get you much anywhere in the PDX area and/or it's not going to be a place you're terribly happy with. Also, without a current job or sizeable amount of $ in the bank, you may find it EXTREMELY tough to find someone to rent to you.

Just a couple of pointers. Please, please, please, think before you act in coming out here w/o a job or shelter lined up.

To close, I was walking around downtown this weekend, and came upon a young, homeless woman, begging for money in the pouring rain. She carried a sign that said this: "This isn't as fun as it looks". I would say there is a lot of wisdom in that.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:23 PM

Well I have about 10 grand stacked from a will I received and wanted to continue my schooling elsewhere, I will look into beaverton.. btw. I've been on my own out here as well no family so even though the living rate is about 20% higher near Portland than Dallas I think I could sustain it, this would be a 6 month try atleat and if not I'd have money to come back.. thanks for the replies guys anymore are appreciated or what people my age are doing in OR anywhere

Old 01-24-2012, 12:25 PM

To hamellr I may be getting a home depot transfer going on 2 yes there now. Not much but is something

Old 01-24-2012, 12:31 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,938,716 times
I'm a little dismayed by the o.p. calling himself and his compadres "kids" @ 22 y.o. Also in the low expectations of employment. Lose the car. Really. I imagine 3 people can manage $700/mo. but lose the car. That said, "the devil you know". If you get from that that I agree with those who say stay put for awhile, you would be correct.

H

Old 01-24-2012, 12:57 PM

I put kids as in not trying to buy a home and settle I don't think kids in your reference travel across country lol thanks for the input though you have a point, otherwise I dont fully understand what you mean with," loose the car", as my main method of travel is a moped, wich I can buy and fix cheaply I am a responsible money saving person I don't eat out or spend excessively. I am wanting to move for the beauty of the state and people.
Nothing will keep me here but nice mid city towns would be appreciated.
I will be trying to pay a full 6 month leader at once, ( with full proof of source of money LOL) and that should give us time..a plane ride home is 135.00

Old 01-24-2012, 01:08 PM

Anyone have words on Salem area seen a lot decent looking places for cheap on CL

Old 01-24-2012, 01:16 PM

899 posts, read 2,943,952 times
post this question down below and you'll get some feed back there on salem
I live there but no help on what your looking for.
good luck

Old 01-24-2012, 02:22 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,054,779 times
It's going to be hard to find a decent 2 bedroom for $700/mo. pretty much anywhere nice in Oregon. I'm hoping you aren't looking for a three bedroom? If you can pay a bit more in rent, even by one or two hundred bucks per month you will have an easier time. In Eugene, there are quite a few nice two bedrooms in the $800. range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland