Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 05:53 PM

3 posts, read 5,391 times

Advertisements

So the hubs and I are seriously considering relocating to Portland from the Dayton/Cinci area of Ohio, most likely this time next year. But first, we want to make a trip out there to look at neighborhoods and apartments as well as just familiarize ourselves with the area. I was hoping perhaps you lovely members could help us out in that regard.

A little background on us:
We're laid back, liberal-minded 30-somethings - not really hipsters, but not really hippies - somewhere in between. We do not have kids, nor do we plan on having them anytime soon. Not looking for anything special in terms of apartments - clean, 1-2 BR, preferably with our age or older as far as apartment community (trying to avoid college areas). We'd like a generally safe area, anyone would I'm sure, but we don't ask for much and don't require special treatment - just general acceptance is always nice. ;o)

Him: 30, Web developer (several code languages), graphic designer, has consulted for several large international companies. Impressive resume, solid experience/knowledge. Currently putting his portfolio together for the ensuing job hunt.

Me: Very nearly 32, and not quite as impressive in terms of job hunting - writer (articles, blog, short stories, poetry), vocalist, actor, painter and amateur photographer. I plan on submitting pieces to Portland/Eugene area newspapers after I do more research on local subject matter. (Perhaps some of you could suggest a starting idea?) My employment background is that of accounting, office management and HR so until/unless the newspaper gig pans out in a big way, I will most likely be working through temp agencies.

So any direction you could point us in terms of neighborhoods or even possible apartment complexes would be much appreciated. Our budget is relatively flexible in terms of rental cost - we'd like to stay under $1000 a month. Also, how solid is the transit system? Are there buses easily accessible and/or subway/trains? The area seems fairly bicycle friendly, and I'm excited to get out there and buy a new bike. )

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 08:43 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,353,637 times
I'd strongly recommend that you read through this forum thoroughly. There is a ton of information about Portland life, politics, neighborhoods, etc. I'd especially recommend any posts by "Philwithbeard". He is extremely generous with information about Portland. And please be very mindful about the job situation here. There are warnings galore all over the forum about how hard it is to find jobs here. We aren't kidding about it. Proceed with caution!

Old 08-31-2010, 10:27 AM

Thank you - yes, we know how hard it is to find jobs there. It is even harder here. My husband will have no problem because regardless of whether or not he finds a 9-5 in town, he has several large accounts for whom he consults on a consistent basis. ;o) Just nice to have a safety net of a JOB is all.

As for perusing the forum, I have been doing a fair amount of reading already - but thank you for pointing me in the direction of a specific user; that's really what I was looking for with my own post.

peace

Old 08-31-2010, 10:50 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,353,637 times
Here's a link to his posts in case you haven't figured out how to find them yet. It took me months to even know you could do it! His posts are the second blue link in each box, not the top bold one.

//www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=23782094

Phil - I hope you don't mind me sending her your way!

Old 08-31-2010, 11:19 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,561,885 times
About time you got out of Ohio! i was just telling my grandma the other day, that I don't know how anyone can still live in that state. (I grew up in Ohio and she still lives there). She was not that amused.

I do think you need some more specific information for neighborhood recommendations, it's a fairly big city, and you'll need some guidelines as what you would like to be close to. 1-2 bed. apts can be found in almost any neighborhood of the city for under $1000.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:11 AM

892 posts, read 2,391,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Here's a link to his posts in case you haven't figured out how to find them yet. It took me months to even know you could do it! His posts are the second blue link in each box, not the top bold one.

//www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=23782094

Phil - I hope you don't mind me sending her your way!
FYI - you can't share search results that way, because of the way this forum's software functions. The URL that works for you (temporarily) will not work for others who click on it later.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:20 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,905,385 times
I would recommend Nell Plotts on this forum since she has been around PDX a long time and knows quite a bit about the corporate cultures of many companies that your husband will be looking at. I will say that Portland is one of the most educated, liberal arts types who have been living here a long time and are looking at unemployment. My family and I are relative newbies to PDX but my hubby works out of state and telecommutes so the job issue hasn't affected us except that most people you will meet are deeply affected by the economic situation here. It is a very big issue here so I would advise sensitivity in that regard. I have found some of Phil with Beard's posts informative but he has only lived here a year and is retired so never worked in this area. There are several real Locals here who can give some very sound advice. I wish you the best!

Old 09-01-2010, 11:43 AM

Thank you to all who have posted thus far - you've all been most helpful!

Old 09-01-2010, 11:47 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
As Yankeemama said, jobs are tough to find in Portland metro at the moment.

I am going to throw out a really wild suggestion: start your west coast move with a job in the Silicon Valley, then move to Portland. I will PM you with a specific suggestion that may be a good fit for your husband's background.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:54 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,905,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
As Yankeemama said, jobs are tough to find in Portland metro at the moment.

I am going to throw out a really wild suggestion: start your west coast move with a job in the Silicon Valley, then move to Portland. I will PM you with a specific suggestion that may be a good fit for your husband's background.
What did I tell ya?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: