Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2010, 10:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,303 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am looking to start a family in the coming year and somehow have made it 30 years getting my paps with my primary care doc who is retiring so I have never been to an OBGYN so I have no idea where to start looking to establish care. Right now my insurance is with OHSU but might change to my husbands if I hear bad things since I can only see their docs and give birth at OHSU hospital. Looking to do the midwife thing but open to many birth plans including drugs. Any words of wisdom or stories of caution would be great.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 12:02 AM

865 posts, read 2,502,155 times
All our kids were born at Providence. They are very open to supporting you in whatever style of birth you want, including having a mid-wife come in instead of OBGYN. If your husbands insurance covers it I'd definitely recommend checking into it.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:11 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,678,174 times
LOL, all three of mine were born there more than 24 years ago from the youngest
I am sure it is different but it was still the old part of the hospital, looked like something out of a USSR war movie.
I would go for a midwife and then see who she practices with. That usually dictates your hospital.
good luck and congrats!

Old 10-21-2010, 12:56 AM

42 posts, read 132,968 times
I can't speak to the OB/GYN program at OHSU, but I can tell you that OHSU and Doernbecher saved my daughters life. They have an incredible staff from the neurosurgeons to nursing assistants. I would recommend them to anyone.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:06 AM

600 posts, read 1,468,909 times
OHSU is a great hospital. I would have no problems delivering there. I had my son at St. Vincent's which is a Providence hospital and they were WONDERFUL. Take a tour of both birthing centers!

Old 10-21-2010, 03:40 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
OHSU has a Midwife school, it is a teaching hospital. No reason to expect less than the best care.

Having a baby is as much an emotional experience as a medical event. Go talk to the OHSU staff and see if you are comfortable with a teaching hospital environment.

When you are in labor, where-ever you are, the health care professional on duty will probably be the person who manages your delivery. Frankly, I would much rather have someone who had a full nights sleep before delivering me and my baby than my maternity caregiver who is exhausted. I know this sounds crazy to first time moms but you will soon understand what I am talking about.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:58 PM

110 posts, read 491,234 times
Default Had two babies at OHSU and I had a choice!!

My insurance allowed me to choose any hospital and I chose OHSU because I knew if, god-forbid, the worst happen, I'd be in good hands. I had both my son and daughter there and, I was treated like gold...and felt like my care was excellent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland