Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 04:48 AM

10 posts, read 15,867 times

Advertisements

Good morning,I am a French student in Paris,currently involved in a research work for my university.My goal is to study marketing practices and strategies set up by cities,linked to sustainable development and figures out the contradictions between the ambitions of cities and their reality.Im focussing on Metro Portland.I will come to the city soon.

Is anyone could tell me more about sustainable development projects in Portland ? Do you see some contradictions (such as high unemployment rates,lack of diversity...) that could question the image generally given of a sustainable city ?

Thanks for your Help !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 12:52 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
You really need to define "sustainable development".

If you mean construction contact the local office of the AIA to line up a couple interviews. Locate a couple land use planners, people involved in urban growth boundaries, zoning - interview them.

Compared to Europe US public transportation systems are inefficient but you might compare what Portland has done to Seattle (the nearest large city) or to another US city of our size.

Economic development is another aspect, as you must know the entire US is suffering from the misdeeds of almost all our lending institutions. There was a group of strategic thinkers in the 80s who helped the Portland metro area adapt to the downturn in wood products (then a critical economic force). Most of those folks are now in their 70s, I don't know who is playing that role now.

Old 10-15-2010, 02:09 PM

Thanks for your comment,of course when I speak about sustainable development I mean the conciliation between economic,environmental and social objectives.But The main thing I want to know is how Portland is positioning and promoting itself (is there a brand ,a vision for Portland ? and who is responsible for that ?) Im focusing on all the actors that contribute to its influence : Planners,city councils,but also development agencies,tourist offices,big companies...
I will try to contact the AIA,you're right they may give me some answers and other people to contact.

Old 10-15-2010, 03:25 PM

42 posts, read 85,291 times
Default Lots going on here

Portland just hosted a conference call "Rail-voution" about public transportation. I think Portland is a leader in the US for that topic. The urban growth boundary is another topic for you to look into.

"Green" construction -- use of sustainable products and methods is a big topic in Portland. The building I live in, Daybreak Cohousing, focused specifically on using sustainable products and being as eco-friendly as possible. Keeping rainwater out of the public system, having a white roof, having low-flush toilets, radiant floor heating, low VOC paint, etc. etc. If that is the kind of sustainable development you mean, then Portland is a good place for you to do it.

I agree that you need to narrow your focus and figure out exactly what you want to know. There is a huge amount of information on Portland and this topic on the Internet, but not everything is there. I think Portland is a good place to study, but you need to know exactly what you want.

Laura
www.DaybreakCohousing.org

Old 10-15-2010, 06:31 PM

Good to know that,thanks Laura !

Actually I use a more global approach,Im focussing on the broad trends,the main strategic initiatives on a large-scale,transversal actions and huge urban projects.I have heard of the Oregon convention center which is one of the first building of its kind in the world,without any energy consumption...This is the kind of project (that's just one example) that highlights the ambition of Portland to be referred to as one of the most environmentally friendly or "green" cities in the world.But the point is what can we say as well of its economic and social image ? Is Portland only an eco-friendly city ? Is it attractive as well for firms,people,tourists ??

I know my focus is large,but it allows at least not to restrict to only one aspect ,but to better understand how that city is positioning and differentiating itself on various sectors, from other cities such as Seattle for example.

David

Old 10-16-2010, 09:57 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
It's your project but I think you are biting off too much, you need to focus on one aspect and then explore how these other factors impact it.

There is no one person or agency in charge of development. Many of the differences in the cities are the result of community culture, leadership and happenstance.

Technology industry-wise Portland is more hardware vs Seattle in software. This is the result Microsoft's presence in Seattle metro while Tektronix founded Portland's hardware businesses. Tektronix's employee development programs made it easier to attract Intel. No one was 'in charge' of this but Portland community leaders reached out to firms needing to expand that might be a good fit. Microsoft actually came out of Xerox's skunkworks (research) in the Bay area and probably would have stayed there if Bill Gates parents hadn't been Seattle community leaders and he wanted to return to Seattle.

Another example: NIKE is in Portland because Phil Knight was a practicing CPA here. Once NIKE grew to leadership ADIAS moved its US headquarters here. Columbia Sportswear was a minor player in outdoor apparel and was able to grow because the apparel & marketing talent NIKE attracted was available. All of these firms attract design talent which supports industrial designers.

There is synergy when industries needing related skill sets cluster in a metro area.

Seattle's culture is car focused, the state of Washington has passed up many opportunities to construct light rail systems. It appears to me that taxpayers are reluctant to invest in transportation while Portland leaders were able to convince Portland taxpayers that light rail has high return on investment. Our businesses actually funded light rail's connection to the airport, for example.

Old 10-17-2010, 02:15 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
It's your project but I think you are biting off too much, you need to focus on one aspect and then explore how these other factors impact it.

There is no one person or agency in charge of development. Many of the differences in the cities are the result of community culture, leadership and happenstance.

Technology industry-wise Portland is more hardware vs Seattle in software. This is the result Microsoft's presence in Seattle metro while Tektronix founded Portland's hardware businesses. Tektronix's employee development programs made it easier to attract Intel. No one was 'in charge' of this but Portland community leaders reached out to firms needing to expand that might be a good fit. Microsoft actually came out of Xerox's skunkworks (research) in the Bay area and probably would have stayed there if Bill Gates parents hadn't been Seattle community leaders and he wanted to return to Seattle.

Another example: NIKE is in Portland because Phil Knight was a practicing CPA here. Once NIKE grew to leadership ADIAS moved its US headquarters here. Columbia Sportswear was a minor player in outdoor apparel and was able to grow because the apparel & marketing talent NIKE attracted was available. All of these firms attract design talent which supports industrial designers.

There is synergy when industries needing related skill sets cluster in a metro area.

Seattle's culture is car focused, the state of Washington has passed up many opportunities to construct light rail systems. It appears to me that taxpayers are reluctant to invest in transportation while Portland leaders were able to convince Portland taxpayers that light rail has high return on investment. Our businesses actually funded light rail's connection to the airport, for example.
Actually Seattle is building a huge system , aswell as Streetcars and Commuter Rail. It looks like Ridership will surpass ur system by the end of the decade. Seattle is doing the system right , Portland hasn't built it right since the first lines. Your lines mainly go next to freeways , Seattle's Network goes through the core of the city and the other towns. Thus , all the future and current line will have higher ridership then Portland's. Also they have a Commuter Rail system and getting popular streetcar which is on the way to becoming a larger network then yours. There Bus system is also great , one of Tri-Mets flaws is the system doesn't seem to be laided out properly. They also have Smart Highways and HOV lanes. So in a way there years ahead of Portland. They also have a denser Downtown then Portland.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post

Actually,no doubt I will mostly focus on the environmental aspect as it seems it is what Portland is mainly renown for.I focus on the way the city is promoting itself as a "green city",how is it marketing and positioning itself.For instance ,in Lyon,one of the most attractive city of France,the Development Agency of Metro Lyon has set up a promoting campaign ONLYLYON in order to consolidate the image of Lyon,as attractive,livable city with a strong cultural and historic identity,by gathering a wide range of economic and institutional actors of the city toward a common ambition.
In Bilbao (Spain),the Guggenheim museum has been used by the city as a promoting asset,in order to position itself as a dynamic cultural and architectural city.It seems for Portland,but I might be wrong,that the environmental aspect is an asset that makes the city more visible on a national and international scale but I don't know if it is part of a real strategy set up by Metro Portland for example.

Old 10-17-2010, 02:35 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,641 times
Perhaps this link will help you.

Bureau of Planning and Sustainability

Old 10-17-2010, 03:15 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,641 times
Also....Portland Development Commission - Economic Prosperity, Quality Housing, Employment Opportunities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland