Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 12:30 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times

Advertisements

My neighbors have chickens and they seem to be anything but "hippies". They keep things pretty clean and I've never noticed a farmyard type of odor.

I really enjoy hearing the rooster crow in the morning. Reminds me of my grandmother's beautiful little farm back in the stone age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 05:13 PM

286 posts, read 521,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativePortland View Post
I find it unfair that my post was removed when there was no insult in it anywhere.
Get used to it. There's often a large gap between reality and the perceived 'insults' in the moderators mind. I wouldn't be surprised to see this post deleted in a few hours...

Old 11-10-2010, 05:53 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,278,516 times
Quote:
It's not that we are arguing about chickens rather that is just one aspect of a multitude of changes that is being forced on the local population. That was the original point of this thread. How come outsiders get to decide what Portland is and push out everyone else? In any case, with all the crowing about sustainability the trends that are popular now are completely NOT sustainable. I understand it makes people feel cozy during a bad economy to have quaint novelties and that's fine, but don't force it on other people. Don't sneer at people because they don't ride a bike. It's the 'holier than thou' attitude of people who move here that makes it bad. I’m just reacting because I’m fed up with local people being forced out and having their rights taken away.

Your rights being taken away?

All your above evidence has absolutely nothing to do with your individual rights. You seem frustrated with certain people being pushy and hollier than now with their beliefs. I can understand your frustration, it is perfectly valid, but you have not described one personal right which you, above, claim have been taken away.

If there are specific rights which are abused while living in Portland, then so be it, but please justify your claims and/or choose better wording next time.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:44 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,438,992 times
Uh... Chickens have been allowed in PDX ever since Portland first got it's name. Nothing is being forced upon anyone, it's just more "modern" (AKA, post 1960's) people are rediscovering the joys of having cheap fresh eggs from their backyard. The tough economic times are simply reinforcing that, a bag of Chicken feed can be bought for the same price as a couple of dozen eggs.

You have to remember that 82nd was nothing but a rural dirt road until the 1960's. Even though Portland had annexed most of the area, it was still rural enough that the population kept quite a bit of livestock. If you look at property deeds in the 102-122 SE area, you can find lots that have Cattle and Horses grandfathered in.

Now Beaverton, Tigard, Hillsboro, Gresham are a different story. They've had laws banning all livestock of any kind. I know Beaverton is changing that, and I've heard rumors Gresham is too.

Old 11-11-2010, 01:18 PM

19 posts, read 25,011 times
You can start with the first amendment: Freedom of speech.

That is where livestock belong, in rural areas and I have no problem with that.

Old 11-11-2010, 01:39 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Why does it bother you if someone keeps chickens in their back yard?

Old 11-11-2010, 01:56 PM

7 posts, read 18,004 times
Quote:
You can start with the first amendment: Freedom of speech.
Oh for crying out loud. The First Amendment applies only to laws being enacted by The Federal, state, and local governments.

Old 11-11-2010, 04:41 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,278,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoso947 View Post
Oh for crying out loud. The First Amendment applies only to laws being enacted by The Federal, state, and local governments.
Based off of his/her evidence thus far their first amendment isn't being touched in anyway. He/She is frustrated with the mentality of people. That is all, it seems.

Last edited by kapetrich; 11-11-2010 at 04:54 PM..

Old 11-11-2010, 05:53 PM

499 posts, read 1,446,998 times
Quote:
Whatever the "chicken law" may be in Seattle, I get the feeling that Seattle residents have the common sense not to recklessly indulge in urban livestock like they do in Portland.
I've lived in both Seattle and Portland for many years - Irvington & Capital Hill which are very similar neighborhoods. Except for Seattle's horrific traffic, both cities are fairly similar - full of PNWesterners. Same mentalities.
You're in for another real let down, Xanathos, because you idealize places & then when reality hits you react like a jilted lover. How can you possibly be an expert on Seattle & Mercer Island when you just moved there?

Old 11-11-2010, 06:08 PM

499 posts, read 1,446,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
The tough economic times are simply reinforcing that, a bag of Chicken feed can be bought for the same price as a couple of dozen eggs.

You have to remember that 82nd was nothing but a rural dirt road until the 1960's.
Also I just saw a story on the news a couple of days ago that some more possibly tainted eggs were being recalled. That's a good reason to have your own chickens. (I rarely eat eggs so don't really need to raise them).

I used to take the berry-picking bus out to berry farms in Gresham in the late 50's & early 60's and I have to tell you 82nd was not a dirt road. It was a four-lane highway lined with auto dealers, motels, Fred Meyers, drive-in hamburger joints, etc... It's true that the city limits ended there but none of the roads - Powell, Division, Glisan, Burnside, etc... that went past 82nd were dirt roads. Maybe if you went back to the teens or 20s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland