Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 06:58 AM

4 posts, read 4,742 times

Advertisements

I am sure you have moved by now but we are in northern NY and are looking to move to Portland. We could split the cost and we could bring you stuff with us I am sure you have already moved but just checking.

Shaylene Van Gorkum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
This is going to be long, but I will try to keep it as short as possible.

We've been living in Portland for a year now and love it. I work for the state. Great benefits, but the pay isn't so great at the moment.

We relocated here from NY state and left pretty suddenly (family tragedy.) We are very glad to be out here.

However, because we had to leave so quickly, we put the bulk of our possessions in a storage unit in upstate NY. We had much we wanted to sell or get rid of before we left but we didn't have the time.

Well, we've been scrimping and saving and hope to put those funds together with our tax return and finally get all of our stuff back.

I've been doing a lot of research and I just think the cheapest way to do it is going to be for me to fly out to NY, rent a huge U-Haul truck, hire some guys to load it, then drive it out here to Portland and hire a couple of other guys to unload it.

If anyone has any suggestions for a cheaper alternative I would love to hear it, particularly if it enables me to not have to fly out there and drive the truck back myself.

We have friends out in NY who could supervise the loading of the truck.

I have read up on many moving companies and heard the accompanying horror stories of lowball quotes that turn into huge fees, lost and damaged property and so on.

Amtrak and other shipping services don't seem to be in the cards because we simply have so much stuff. Family of four. We could jettison a good deal of what we have, but we really can't do that prior to getting it all out here to Portland first and then going through it, although if I was out there watching guys load the truck I could sort through some of the things that we could leave or donate while I was out there. I just would prefer not to fly out myself and drive it back myself, largely because I don't know if I could even get time off from work to do it.

I'd really appreciate any ieas or suggestions if anyone has any.

As I say, there's a lot we can divest ourselves of, but some of it we'd need to sell and not just set fire to, if you know what I'm saying.

Thanks for any advice or input.
We are moving from upstate NY to portland and are also looking into the cheapest way to move. I am sure you have got your things by now but if not we could work something out and we could drive it out with us?My email is momofpdckids@gmail.com

Old 07-26-2013, 07:47 AM

Default we are moving to Portland from NY

Have you got your stuff yet? we are a family moving to Portland from Wellsville NY maybe we could split the cost somehow? Let me know if you have already moved your things.

Thank you,
Shaylene Van Gorkum

momofpdckids@gmail.com

Old 07-26-2013, 09:27 AM

We are moving from Wellsville NY to Portland anyway we can help each other out? we could bring your stuff with us? let me know if you have got it yet
Shaylene Van Gorkum
momofpdckids@gmail.com

Old 07-26-2013, 11:18 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,336,622 times
We get the point already.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:52 AM

2,430 posts, read 6,630,575 times
I sure hope they've found a way--it's been almost three years.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:44 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaykay View Post
Have you got your stuff yet? we are a family moving to Portland from Wellsville NY maybe we could split the cost somehow? Let me know if you have already moved your things.

Thank you,
Shaylene Van Gorkum

momofpdckids@gmail.com
A word to the wise. It is never a good idea to post your full name and email on a public forum. If you want to contact someone, use the PM. Feature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: