Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 05:52 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I was in San Jose several years ago and discovered the innovative adaptation of building a second house in the back yard to rent out. Haven't seen that in Portland, probably needs a zoning change to do that.
It's been done in Portland, I know people who rent places like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 05:54 PM

Quote:
The poor literally get to live in the worn out, cast-off "functionally obsolete" housing that others don't want because it lacks the modern amenities Americans ave come to expect.
What modern amenties are those? Plenty of homes in central Portland going for $400,000 plus to professionals are old 1910 Craftsmans that lack many sorts of modern amenities... Most of the places I've lived in Portland were built about 1900 to 1920 and was basically lucky to even have heat. A couple just had a fireplace.

So amenities like what? A dishwasher? I haven't lived in a house with a dishwasher since I was in high school. Air conditioning? Never had it either--nor is it needed that often in Portland...

You pay for location more than anything in a lot of urban areas.

Last edited by Deezus; 06-30-2014 at 06:48 PM..

Old 06-30-2014, 06:19 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
??? Again, only a small minority of "the poor" actually get to live in that housing; half of all low-income renters spend at least half their income on housing according to Mortgage News Daily. Demand for low-income housing subsidies far exceeds supply. The poor literally get to live in the worn out, cast-off "functionally obsolete" housing that others don't want because it lacks the modern amenities Americans ave come to expect.
Low income housing either comes from the city through public housing or through zoning laws that require developments to have a percentage of low income housing to get certain perks.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:23 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Low income housing either comes from the city through public housing or through zoning laws that require developments to have a percentage of low income housing to get certain perks.
BZZT! So-called inclusionary zoning is prohibited under Oregon law. FAIL.

When liberals try to do something locally that conservatives don't like, conservatives run to the Legislature to prohibit local governments from doing it. As much as some in Portland would like a higher local minimum wage, citiies do not have authority to do that.

Both sides play the class warfare game when they can.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:41 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
BZZT! So-called inclusionary zoning is prohibited under Oregon law. FAIL.

When liberals try to do something locally that conservatives don't like, conservatives run to the Legislature to prohibit local governments from doing it. As much as some in Portland would like a higher local minimum wage, citiies do not have authority to do that.

Both sides play the class warfare game when they can.
Okay, well then you found your problem, you should petition that.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:06 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
??? Again, only a small minority of "the poor" actually get to live in that housing; half of all low-income renters spend at least half their income on housing according to Mortgage News Daily. Demand for low-income housing subsidies far exceeds supply. The poor literally get to live in the worn out, cast-off "functionally obsolete" housing that others don't want because it lacks the modern amenities Americans ave come to expect.
So?

Those who have had some amount of success can only afford to subsidize so much at the bottom, and there's quite a lot of subsidizing going on already. There are neighborhoods that I could afford to live in only if I quit my job and slashed my income so that I could qualify for subsidized housing.

So you have to live in older housing. So what? You're not actually entitled to granite countertops and a W/D in unit at someone else's expense.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:43 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,616,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
It's been done in Portland, I know people who rent places like that.
As do I - though they tend to be very small units.

It's viable, though to do it legally requires permits and building to code, etc. And it will almost certainly lead to a reassessment of your property. Likewise, a lot of existing lots are fairly small, and will be limited in what they can build.

Reassessment is significant if you're a longer time owner since you wouldn't just be paying for the value of the new space, but also the proper re-evaluation of the existing space which had been capped by Measure 50. So you'd really have to run the numbers to see if it would still be revenue positive after all that, and think about the impact on resale value. Some will be attracted to the revenue if the space is done well, but it may deter other buyers who want a yard/garden/etc.

I've heard internet rumors that in L.A. it's increasingly common for owners to convert garages and patios to rental space entirely under the table.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
I've heard internet rumors that in L.A. it's increasingly common for owners to convert garages and patios to rental space entirely under the table.
That's common in the Bay Area too. I knew a guy with rented his garage out as a separate unit, while renting out every room in his house as well--and then lived in a RV in his driveway--all to pay off a mortgage.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:11 PM

629 posts, read 1,174,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post

It's become almost mandatory for suburban L.A. homes that want to be cash-positive.

The part I don't understand is, homes can be openly placed on the market with unpermited garage conversions, and the city doesn't step in during (or after) the real estate transaction.

The only time you can get burned is if you have an inspector come on your property for some other upgrade, it's at their discretion to bust you. (Most still don't)

Old 07-01-2014, 02:05 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,616,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topaz420 View Post
The part I don't understand is, homes can be openly placed on the market with unpermited garage conversions, and the city doesn't step in during (or after) the real estate transaction.

Interesting question. I'd wager that the city views it largely as a pro/con situation. The real impact would seem to be on the state coffers since it allows owners to skirt a Prop 13 reassessment.

While it has downsides for the city (building may not be up to code, parking congestion on local streets, etc.) local politicians probably see it beating the alternative of squeezing out long-term residents who might see skyrocketing prop. tax bills, higher numbers of homeless, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland