Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2010, 12:00 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,025,495 times

Advertisements

From Forbes.com via Yahoo Finance:

Quote:
"It's very hard to overbuild in this region, because of urban growth boundaries and a fairly limited supply of developable property," says Randall Pozdena, managing director of ECONorthwest, a Eugene, Ore.-based consultancy. "Wages are 20 to 30% below what wages in the Bay Area are, but home prices are relatively high. We've created an artificial scarcity situation."

In Portland, Ore., homes are overvalued by 31%; in Bellingham, Wash., housing is 22% overpriced and in Eugene, Ore. homes are 21% more than they should be. Local Market Monitor expects prices in Portland to fall 9% in the next year; Eugene prices to drop by 8%; and Bellingham to see a 9% fall.
Full article: tomorrows-real-estate-trouble-spots: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 12:03 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
Interesting outlook - wages in the big cities in Oregon have always been about 20% lower - the trick is the houses are 50% less.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:01 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,484,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
From Forbes.com via Yahoo Finance:......
OK article, but I still firmly believe in supply / demand for Real Estate prices. So I ask, what standards are used to determine Portland housing is overpriced by 31%, or 21% or whatever.

And as far as market forces go, I am still unclear as to why real estate prices will fall 9% as opposed to 10%, or say only 6%. What are the forces in play specifically in Portland to cause the prices to drop? I haven't been aware of the foreclosure rates in Portland to be as high as other cities in USA; am I wrong?

I got the impression from the quoted article that the rating company had come up with a national averaged estimate on housing costs per square foot of the home, and a 2nd estimate on cost per sq-foot of land the home sits on, and added the two estimates together. Then compare with each market's homes to that estimated standard costs. Due to the heavy weighting of that standard due to price drops in Detroit, Cleveland, LA, Las Vegas, etc due to population sizes, any such standard would be on the low side.

Once, long time ago, I read something about real estate occupancy rates of something like 90% to 95% is an ideal rate (from the view point of makers of Public Policy), so landlords and sellers of homes and condos had an incentive to settle for less than they ask for, and maintain upkeep on vacant property.

I would be curious to hear a real estate professional's take on this expected 9% drop. Does any one concur, from their own prospective this would be an accurate expected drop for all of the Portland area, or just for the city of Portland?

Phil

Old 04-30-2010, 03:02 PM

8 posts, read 26,231 times
Default Portland

Not many areas were jammed with new homes that would jack up the prices compared to some other cities. About all the gains of the past 10 years will be wiped out so that seems to be the watermark. As an area fares against this standard they will get hit.
Portland Kitchens and Bathroom Remodeling

Old 05-01-2010, 09:08 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,257,117 times
The latest S&P's Case-Schiller index statistics are not too encouraging for the Portland area either. Markets may be showing an increase in sales because of the federal tax credit.
Clip:
Portland, Charlotte, Las Vegas, New York, Seattle and Tampa posted new lows for home prices.
Portland home prices have dropped 23 percent since the market peaked in July 2007.
Nationally, home prices have returned to mid-2003 levels after peaking in mid-2006.
Home prices were up 1.4 percent nationally in the index's 10-city composite and up 0.6 percent in its 20-city composite. It was the first time both indices showed positive growth since December 2006.
For the month, home prices fell in 18 of the 20 cities in the index, including Portland, where prices fell 2.4 percent, the biggest month-to-month decline in the index.
Home prices fall 4.8 percent - Portland Business Journal:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland