Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 10:15 PM

7 posts, read 40,729 times

Advertisements

So my brother's getting married in Portland in August and I'm the best man. I live in Chicago and I've only been to Portland once, for about a day and a half (attended a wedding at Voodoo Donut).

Based on my limited familiarity with the city, I was hoping to elicit suggestions from locals for my brother's bachelor party, which I am charged with planning. We will be staying in the Hawthorne District, which I understand is lined with pubs to wander in and out of, but other than that, I just don't know.

So, if anyone could suggest any idea, I would appreciate it. Our party will consist of a small group of mid to late 20-somethings with a possible middle-aged uncle or two joining up.

As this will be a bachelor party, strip clubs will be involved. In providing suggestions for such places, please advise which establishments will/will not be overflowing with the shiny shirt/greasy haired element as I would like to avoid such venues (if possible). Also, suggestions besides bars and strip clubs are encouraged (although suggestions for bars and strip clubs are not discouraged).

Thanks!

Last edited by decker352; 07-02-2011 at 11:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 10:34 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,553,445 times
The Hawthorne and neighboring Belmont districts are gay areas (predominately, anyway) and the bars are fairly seedy, overall. I mean, there are always a couple of decent ones anywhere, but that area would be close to last on my list.

Lets start with strip clubs. Portland has a ton of them. I suggest going on line to Exotica or better yet, get a copy of their monthly publication as it highlights strip clubs. You can call and get a good idea of the layout. Avoid any strip clubs in the Northeast part of town. Seedy & deadly. McLaughlin Blvd (running it's entire length) has probably your overall safest strip clubs (with about 8 places in a 4 miles stretch) and there are some OK local bars more or less along the way.

As for bars in general, the downtown area is probably the best, but not for strip clubs.

We're it me, and I wanted this type of party, I'd hire everything in.

Old 07-02-2011, 11:00 PM

117 posts, read 274,588 times
I have never tried this myself, but it might be worth looking into depending on the exact date of your bash...

BarFly Bus Tours! Pub crawls for pros!

Old 07-04-2011, 04:02 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,153,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
The Hawthorne and neighboring Belmont districts are gay areas (predominately, anyway) and the bars are fairly seedy, overall. I mean, there are always a couple of decent ones anywhere, but that area would be close to last on my list.

Lets start with strip clubs. Portland has a ton of them. I suggest going on line to Exotica or better yet, get a copy of their monthly publication as it highlights strip clubs. You can call and get a good idea of the layout. Avoid any strip clubs in the Northeast part of town. Seedy & deadly. McLaughlin Blvd (running it's entire length) has probably your overall safest strip clubs (with about 8 places in a 4 miles stretch) and there are some OK local bars more or less along the way.

As for bars in general, the downtown area is probably the best, but not for strip clubs.

You seem to know your strip clubs. But not much else.

Hawthorne & Belmont are not "gay areas." And it's McLoughlin. You'd think someone could spell the name of the "Father of Oregon" correctly.

But, to the OP.

Barfly's website has a list of strip clubs.

Grand Central Bowl (between Belmont & Morrison at about 9th) might be somewhere you'd be interested in for a more "organized" event. There is a strip club across the street--Sassy's. And another nearby on Hawthorne. The cart pod at 13th & Hawthorne is open late, and a real late-night hangout. No strippers or booze, but barfood.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:16 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,537,077 times
Quote:
Hawthorne and Belmont are not predominantly gay areas by any means... There's plenty of non-seedy bars as well, although there are a couple divey, but fun locations like Claudia's or the Belmont Inn. Hawthorne does get a lot a lot of people from the suburbs and tourists visiting on the weekends though.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:27 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,537,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decker352 View Post
So my brother's getting married in Portland in August and I'm the best man. I live in Chicago and I've only been to Portland once, for about a day and a half (attended a wedding at Voodoo Donut).

Based on my limited familiarity with the city, I was hoping to elicit suggestions from locals for my brother's bachelor party, which I am charged with planning. We will be staying in the Hawthorne District, which I understand is lined with pubs to wander in and out of, but other than that, I just don't know.

So, if anyone could suggest any idea, I would appreciate it. Our party will consist of a small group of mid to late 20-somethings with a possible middle-aged uncle or two joining up.

As this will be a bachelor party, strip clubs will be involved. In providing suggestions for such places, please advise which establishments will/will not be overflowing with the shiny shirt/greasy haired element as I would like to avoid such venues (if possible). Also, suggestions besides bars and strip clubs are encouraged (although suggestions for bars and strip clubs are not discouraged).

Thanks!
If you're staying around Hawthorne, the best strip clubs in the area are Union Jacks up on Burnside and Sassy's on Morrison. Union Jacks is close to the Doug Fir, which is itself is a good place to see a show and is decent to check out for a drink. As Enrico mentioned Sassy's is close to the Grand Central Bowl and the food carts, which are both decent stops on an itinerary. Both clubs are pretty friendly places that get a mixed crowd---but there's not a big representation of the "shiny shirt/greasy haired" element.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:45 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,469,947 times
Quote:

Not even close. The only grey about these areas is the weather. There are some really nice bars on both streets. If you like blues and jazz there is the Belmont Inn on about 34th and Belmont that features local artists.

Old 07-04-2011, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
You seem to know your strip clubs. But not much else.

Hawthorne & Belmont are not "gay areas." And it's McLoughlin. You'd think someone could spell the name of the "Father of Oregon" correctly.
I'll disagree with you over Hawthorne & Belmont areas. As to my bad spelling, meh.

Old 07-04-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Not even close. The only grey about these areas is the weather. There are some really nice bars on both streets. If you like blues and jazz there is the Belmont Inn on about 34th and Belmont that features local artists.
In every area of town there are always a couple of nice places. Geeze, what a bunch of gay grumps.

Old 07-04-2011, 09:20 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,153,401 times
Quote:
I'll disagree with you over Hawthorne & Belmont areas. As to my bad spelling, meh.
Don't you live in Vancouver? I live on Belmont. I think I know my neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland