Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 01:29 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,908,907 times

Advertisements

Hi all, Im moving to Portland in 3 weeks, and will be driving on I 80, I 84 from Philadelphia.

Any new transplants or others driven this route moving out and how is it?

thanks for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 03:10 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,484,001 times
Pace yourself. Plan your stops carefully, as things really thin out past Iowa. Parts of Idaho are scary thin; long, long ways between exits. A couple of long haul inclines up hill, and then coasting downhill, but mostly in or near Oregon.

Plan extra rest before you hit Oregon. I-84 for a long stretch of the road is along side the Columbia River, narrow lanes with cliff to river on one side of road way, and mountain side on otherwise of roadway. Locals doing these curves at full speed, trucks don't give any extra inches for out of state plates.

When I came across, I discovered truck stop "Flying J" to be just great (prices, food, restrooms, and generally comfortable.) Only starts somewhere beyond middle of Wyoming. Heard tell the chain was sold a while back. Ask about if Flying 'J: on the Travel forum on this site:
//www.city-data.com/forum/travel/
I am sure someone will be able to give an updated review.

I recommend staying a night in Ogden UT for a night. It is usually a winter skier's vacation place, but in summer. lots of hotel deals during the week. I found the local friendly, as only many tourist towns are.

Old 05-01-2011, 04:22 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
Have driven this route many times. Great road, great scenery. I look forward to the next time I go this way.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:23 AM

254 posts, read 653,438 times
I've done it twice. Should be fun! It's a little boring in the heartland. I think the best part was when I finished up with the John Day drive, highway 26. Beautiful area.

Old 05-02-2011, 12:44 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
I too have done it a number of times. For the last year or so I have not been leaving the house without Missy, a Garmin 205 GPS. For $125 I got one that has the entire U.S. and Canada in her little brain. When you pull off the interstate in the middle of the night somewhere and can't find your way back to it (this can happen) you will be glad that you have a capable, patient, navigator that has every little back alley and access road at her fingertips. Boy, could I have used something like that on some of my earlier trips. Who knows I might still be married to my first wife. Nah... probably not...

H

Old 05-02-2011, 03:21 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,908,907 times
thanks, i have all of my hotel stops booked up with 8 hour day driving for 5 days. i do appreciate it. Ive driven I 90 before and part of 80 back to the east coast but didnt do east west yet.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:14 AM

425 posts, read 958,720 times
Sounds like one fun trip, enjoy & be safe out on the road.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:04 PM

132 posts, read 341,562 times
We did this trip (or something similar) when we drove from NY to PDX. Spend some time in S.Dakota and Montana -- mind-blowingly beautiful. You've got the Badlands, the "big heads' (as my daughter called Mt. Rushmore), the Corn Palace (not terribly exciting unless you're 11 years old). Just outside of Sioux Falls, there's a *terrific* place worth stopping (briefly, anyway) -- a fake cowboy town filled with dilapidated robots. So, so worth it.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:06 PM

132 posts, read 341,562 times
Oh, and there's some great Ethiopian food in Sioux Falls. Who knew? Also, Bozeman is just gorgeous.

Old 05-07-2011, 09:54 PM

892 posts, read 2,392,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philwithbeard View Post
When I came across, I discovered truck stop "Flying J" to be just great (prices, food, restrooms, and generally comfortable.) Only starts somewhere beyond middle of Wyoming.
All good advice Phil, just thought I would chime in to say that Flying J is all over the place. I grew up on the east coast and they're all up and down the whole thing, from NYC to Miami...we just stopped at one in the middle of PA last week in fact. As you mentioned, they're one company these days with Pilot. The Flying J logo is still all over the place though. Here's a complete run down on them:

http://www.pilottravelcenters.com/Lo...ind_Locations/ (view online)

http://www.pilottravelcenters.com/Im...avel_Guide.pdf
(download PDF)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: