Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 08:49 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,145,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlaw View Post
are you nuts? no outdoor life in Arizona? White Mts?, Grand Canyon?, Lakes? Tucson? Flag?,
do you want to radically increase costs to live? glomy weather is nice?
You better move.
Well, the OP seems to have already made the decision to move. Gloomy is a value judgement, not a fact. And even if they find the weather gloomy, they may prefer it to 100+ temperatures and a desiccated terrain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 10:28 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
Oregon would be cheaper in most places, but winters are pretty gloomy in most places west of the Cascades. A lot of nice towns in Oregon: Eugene, Corvallis, Portland, Ashland, Medford, Bend.

In N. California, anything close to the Bay will be pricey. Check out Chico, California. Summers can get hot, but after Phoenix, a big improvement, and winters are mild and rainy. Great outdoor offerings, and fairly affordable for N. California.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:20 AM

99 posts, read 277,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
I missed where the OP said word number one about Phoenix winters. But thanks for taking the opportunity to bash Portland weather, it happens so rarely.
Here EnricoV, let me help you with that:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigzilla View Post
From what we've read, Oregon has four distinct seasons, as opposed to two that Phoenix has (crazy hot in the summer, gloomy in the winter).
I wasn't going to talk about weather, as the OP doesn't seem that interested, but since you brought it up...

OP, the Portland Weather Facts thread should provide you with a thorough overview of Portland weather. Please read it before you move here. If you think that Phoenix winters are gloomy, or if you think that Portland's seasons are all that distinct, you need to do some more research.

I see that you are from South Bend, Indiana, which is less than 100 miles east of Chicago. Good. You are familiar with overcast weather then. Portland is ranked #6 in the contiguous United States for overcast weather. For comparison purposes, Chicago has 176 cloudy days per year (on average), while Portland has 222 cloudy days per year. Phoenix has 70. (Weather Today).

I had a friend who moved here from Phoenix saying that she "hated the sun" and that she "loved the rain". It turned out that she loved the beautiful rainstorms of the southwest, but she hated the monotonous overcast skies and drizzle that she found here (think Ireland). She simply hadn't done her research into what people really mean when they talk about Portland weather. She was thinking that a rainy week in Portland would be similar to a rainy week in Phoenix. She was wrong. They are completely different experiences. She moved back to Phoenix after a year because of the weather.

Now, I'm not here to argue about whether Portland weather is good or bad. It is what it is. I just want people to be aware. I vote no more weather drama.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:20 PM

600 posts, read 1,468,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunscribble View Post

I wasn't going to talk about weather, as the OP doesn't seem that interested, but since you brought it up...

OP, the Portland Weather Facts thread should provide you with a thorough overview of Portland weather. Please read it before you move here. If you think that Phoenix winters are gloomy, or if you think that Portland's seasons are all that distinct, you need to do some more research.

I see that you are from South Bend, Indiana, which is less than 100 miles east of Chicago. Good. You are familiar with overcast weather then. Portland is ranked #6 in the contiguous United States for overcast weather. For comparison purposes, Chicago has 176 cloudy days per year (on average), while Portland has 222 cloudy days per year. Phoenix has 70. (Weather Today).

I had a friend who moved here from Phoenix saying that she "hated the sun" and that she "loved the rain". It turned out that she loved the beautiful rainstorms of the southwest, but she hated the monotonous overcast skies and drizzle that she found here (think Ireland). She simply hadn't done her research into what people really mean when they talk about Portland weather. She was thinking that a rainy week in Portland would be similar to a rainy week in Phoenix. She was wrong. They are completely different experiences. She moved back to Phoenix after a year because of the weather.

Now, I'm not here to argue about whether Portland weather is good or bad. It is what it is. I just want people to be aware. I vote no more weather drama.
well said. People's opinions on Portland's weather are either good or bad. In my opinion, its more a feeling that Portland's weather can get downright gloomy at times. If you need to do some fact-checking just look at accuweather.com. No one wants to argue about whether people are "wrong" or not and I am pretty certain most people who post here know that answers to their posts are opinions for the most part

Old 05-16-2011, 12:26 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
Now to ME, Portland has two seasons. We do NOT have a spring here. And because of it winter can seem long and unending until the beginning of July. Seriously, I think even the most hard-core Oregonians have more trouble dealing with "the gloom" in spring than in winter, because by now changes (sun) are needed.

But some people do like that. Just make sure you can deal with it.

Liberal environment? You'd be in euphoria here.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:30 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,145,093 times
We definitely have Spring. In the Spring, the weather can be 70 one day and 50 the next, then back to 70 again. Any rain grows to be more to be a circumstance of a storm cloud passing over and dumping some rain, rather than continual rain-cloud filled skies.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:34 PM

95 posts, read 201,224 times
I grew up in Az and we just moved from mesa to Portland 2 weeks ago.....for a lot of the same reasons you stated.

We are in the NW District...walking distance to everything we need.

So far it has been refreshing in every way!

I understand about the no outdoor activities in Az. In MY opinion its too hot in summer to want to go outside, and you have to drive a while to get to mountains, lakes, etc.

We have really enjoyed being outside here, even when it has been raining.

Good luck in your search... if you can afford to live in SD, you should be able to find something in Portland, no problem.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:22 PM

161 posts, read 410,938 times
I am currently living in San Diego (North County) and am moving to Portland in a few weeks. I have been all over the states of California and Oregon traveling, mostly hiking and camping. My second choice place to move was Arcata.

Arcata is on the coast in Mid-Northern CA (and hume of Humboldt University, great college!) could be a great place to consider. LIBERAL lifestyle, right by the coast. Weather not so gloomy, but you still get a good spring/summer/fall/winter. You're right up against acres and acres of pristine redwood forests. It's a smallish college town, charming, but on the smaller side. Lots of college kids milling around (good or bad, take it as it is).

The problem is finding a job. There's a lot of industries looking for people with college degrees, but finding a joe schmo job will be difficult due to all of that college competition.

I chose Portland because it's a bigger city with a more funky vibe, and I can adventure in a new place.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:20 AM

805 posts, read 2,001,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunscribble View Post

Thanks for pointing that out I hadn't gotten a chance yet...

To EnricoV...I wasn't "bashing" Portland weather. It doesn't bother me. But for someone that is already complaining about weather of 60 degrees and sunny the majority of the winter, I find it hard to imagine many places in the Continental US that would NOT be gloomy for them. That is why Phoenix has so many winter dwellers because the weather is great/manageable.

I wasn't pointing out how "bad" Portland winters are, but that they should seriously evaluate their decision if some gloomy weather is a major factor

Old 05-17-2011, 09:04 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShanti View Post
Arcata... Weather not so gloomy...
You must have visited one of the infrequent special sunny days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland