Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2011, 08:11 AM

1 posts, read 4,771 times

Advertisements

I am considering working at OHSU but have been concerned about the commuting issues. Seems OHSU has limited parking for employees. One poster to this forum suggested that the aerial tram was only good for a 9-5 job. My hours will be longer. What about parking at the base of the tram? Mass transit to the tram?

What neighborhood nearby can you rent a family house in say $1200-1400 range that has easy commute in light of these concerns? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 09:49 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,563,643 times
There is some parking at the base of the tram. I know someone I work with who parks there once a week (to go to a soccer game after work), it's $9/day, I think. I'm not sure what the long-term rates are, but I imagine they are just as expensive as on the hill.
The tram is right on the streetcar line, so that is the main way to access it via public transport.
There are a number of buses that run up to the hill, many of them are express buses, so will run at the normal "rush" hours. The #8 is the regular but though, that just runs to downtown, where you can then hook up to any other bus line.

OHSU deeply discounts TriMet passes, so it makes busing a good incentive.
They also pay incentives for biking to school, $50 for 30 days worth of commuting (and you only have to be biking for some portion of the commute, so you can use the tram and/or buses with your bike).

close by neighborhoods are lair hill (which will be much more attractive as a location when the finish a pedestrian bridge and elevator over I-5 to the base of the tram later (I think early next year)), hillsdale, the south waterfront (which has no houses), and goose hollow. None of these neighborhoods will have rental houses in that price range. Almost no area of Portland will have a house for rent in that price range though. House rentals are fairly expensive here. Tigard and Beaverton might be options though with a pretty easy commute.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:04 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,148,490 times
You might try John's Landing. I think you could find a house there for that price, and you'd be near the tram (it's just to the south, along the river).

Old 06-15-2011, 05:36 AM

892 posts, read 2,393,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess10 View Post
There are a number of buses that run up to the hill, many of them are express buses, so will run at the normal "rush" hours. The #8 is the regular but though, that just runs to downtown, where you can then hook up to any other bus line.

OHSU deeply discounts TriMet passes, so it makes busing a good incentive.
They also pay incentives for biking to school, $50 for 30 days worth of commuting (and you only have to be biking for some portion of the commute, so you can use the tram and/or buses with your bike).
I'll second all this, and also add (just in case you're not yet aware) that your OHSU employee ID also functions as a tram pass and a streetcar pass. So on top of getting TriMet passes for a deep discount, you get those for FREE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess10 View Post
close by neighborhoods are lair hill (which will be much more attractive as a location when the finish a pedestrian bridge and elevator over I-5 to the base of the tram later (I think early next year)), hillsdale, the south waterfront (which has no houses), and goose hollow. None of these neighborhoods will have rental houses in that price range. Almost no area of Portland will have a house for rent in that price range though. House rentals are fairly expensive here. Tigard and Beaverton might be options though with a pretty easy commute.
I think the moment that the Gibbs bridge is complete, Lair Hill is going to start becoming very popular with the 9-5 crowd from OHSU. For those who can't use the tram though, living along the #8 route (or anywhere that is a simple transfer away from it) is probably preferable.

Also, that statement about housing is pretty accurate...one would be quite hard pressed to find an entire home for rent for that price range near the downtown core of any American metro area that doesn't have a badly depressed economy (and Portland may have some problems, but it's certainly not in the rust belt or the deep south). Within the "close in" areas of Portland, that price range would more aptly be applied to more luxurious 2BR apartments or more modest 3BR ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland