Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 07:22 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,484,001 times

Advertisements

Way out in Left Field question...

Back East, that is Eastern and Central Time Zones, like a good part of the USA, a pound of butter is sold cut up in to long quarter pound sticks. I'm guessing here, but I think about 1 inch X 1 inch X 5 inches long or so; could be 5-1/2" long. (Don't have a stick to measure with.)

Now I'm living in Pacific Time Zone, Portland OR to be exact, the 1 pound of butter comes in quarter sticks that are 1-1/2" X 1-1/2" X 3-1/4 inches. A bit larger on end, and shorter. Same weight (4 oz) but my covered butter dishes don't exactly fit right.

Not a big deal, but I am curious, is this an Oregon thing, West Coast Thing, or what?

What is even more curious to me, is the dimensions of the stick I am measuring may not be exactly imperial measurements: 3.700 cm X 3.700 cm X 8.150 on my metric callipers. (I don't trust those last zero's as I am measuring butter, not tool steel which some consider a more stable substance)

Anyone know, or better yet know of a link as to why the difference in how butter is sold in Portland?

Phil

Last edited by philwithbeard; 10-10-2009 at 07:26 AM.. Reason: add hedge comment on accurace to less than a milimeter on butter stick measurment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 07:32 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,641 times
I don't have any useful information for you but I just had to let you know that you gave me a chuckle. It's 6:30 am on Saturday and you are musing about butter sizes! I'm over in SW Portland and although I've been up since 5 am, I still haven't had enough coffee to be thinking about butter and metric callipers. But I'm headed to Canada today so I'll do a little research on their butter and how it's sold and get back to you. I was in Mexico recently and didn't notice anything different about their buttersticks. Different producers package it different ways has been my experience.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:04 AM

If it is early morning, and one is sipping coffee while waiting for the toaster to POP, then the mind will wanders a bit into such questions. I mean, the butter is waiting for the toast, and it don't exactly "fit" my back east butter dish, and WIKIpedia talks about the "Western Pack" for butter, BUT WHY???

Phil

Old 10-10-2009, 10:10 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
It's west coast and western sections of the US - also take a look at what cuts of meat are called and you'll find real differences.

Old 10-10-2009, 12:21 PM

398 posts, read 1,318,148 times
The sizing of units of a lot of food products - especially dairy - on the West Coast is definitely different than any other place I've lived or visited. I have realized that since traveling to other areas of the country and now living in the Midwest. In addition to butter, the one that always gets me is blocks of cheese. In the supermarket in Portland, a standard large block of cheese is like what about 5 x 5 x 12"? You know, it's called a "Baby Loaf". You can't even get a Baby Loaf anywhere else I've lived or been to. Cheese here comes in dinky little wedges that aren't even wide enough to make a sandwich slice out of and not enough to make a cheese and cracker plate out of.... *maybe" enough for a couple quesadillas. Maybe.

Old 10-10-2009, 12:22 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malachai23 View Post
The sizing of units of a lot of food products - especially dairy - on the West Coast is definitely different than any other place I've lived or visited. I have realized that since traveling to other areas of the country and now living in the Midwest. In addition to butter, the one that always gets me is blocks of cheese. In the supermarket in Portland, a standard large block of cheese is like what about 5 x 5 x 12"? You know, it's called a "Baby Loaf". You can't even get a Baby Loaf anywhere else I've lived or been to. Cheese here comes in dinky little wedges that aren't even wide enough to make a sandwich slice out of and not enough to make a cheese and cracker plate out of.... *maybe" enough for a couple quesadillas. Maybe.
Pretty sure Tillamook started the whole "baby loaf" thing

Old 10-10-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Pretty sure Tillamook started the whole "baby loaf" thing
Could be. Still doesn't explain why all the stores here carry Tillamook brand and *not* Baby Loaf! LOL Ah well. Hopefully soon I will be back to the land of Baby Loaves

Old 10-10-2009, 12:56 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
When I moved here from Chicago, I noticed the butter dishes I saw in stores were short things. They were half the size of the ones I had seen all my life in the Midwest. Then I saw the butter that fits into the half-size dishes and understood why.

If you buy Land 'O Lakes butter in the West, it's short and stubby. If you buy it elsewhere, it's long and thinner. Same company, different sizes. And while we are on the subject, why is it Helman's Mayonnaise east of the Rockies and Best Foods West Mayonnaise of the Rockies?

Old 10-10-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
When I moved here from Chicago, I noticed the butter dishes I saw in stores were short things. They were half the size of the ones I had seen all my life in the Midwest. Then I saw the butter that fits into the half-size dishes and understood why.

If you buy Land 'O Lakes butter in the West, it's short and stubby. If you buy it elsewhere, it's long and thinner. Same company, different sizes. And while we are on the subject, why is it Helman's Mayonnaise east of the Rockies and Best Foods West Mayonnaise of the Rockies?
Oh I KNOW, huh? The whole Helman's/Best Foods thing had me so confused! All my life I bought Best Foods and grew up listening to "Bring out the Best Foods and bring out the Best!" commercials. I collect cookbooks, and I kept seeing recipes from other areas of the country calling for "high quality mayo, such as Helman's" and I couldn't wait to try it when I moved here. So I did, and it tasted exactly the same as Best Foods. I was bummed out. Then I Googled it and read that they were the same company, just different labels for different parts of the country. Too funny!!

Old 10-10-2009, 04:48 PM

WHAT??????

Best Foods = Helman's
No WAY dude.....

And you mean I had to settle for buying that Kraft MAYO because I couldn't find Helman's on the shelf at Alberson's or WinCo. It was there, but hiding behind a left coast label?

Now THAT's cheezy.

Phil
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland