Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2011, 10:38 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,363,370 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I had the pleasure of visiting Portland yesterday and most of today. I wish I had at least one more day to at least see everything, maybe a few more to take it in. Good news is I live only a few hours away so any long weekend is fine to check out stuff.

This was my first time to explore Portland instead of it being a sort of midway point for a fabulous road trip. I, in general, enjoyed everything there was to offer.

I checked out the OHSU gondola and the fabuluos view point, rode the MAX (extensively), checked out the OMSI, ate at a food stand at 10th & Alder, walked through the chinese garden and walked through the old district. Pretty cool.

So, the things I liked:

1. No sales tax. I realize that your income tax subsidizes my purchases, so THANK YOU!

2. Free rides in the ride free zone. I know Seattle has the same thing but call it "never take advantage of where you live" syndrome, but having the MAX really was a big benefit. And, once again, your income tax subsidizes that operation, so THANK YOU!

3. Generally nice people. Even the bums weren't really aggressive. Though I was sort of disturbed that the bums in Portland were even more in plain sight. Only San Francisco is rivaling it in my opinion.

4. A waterfront that isn't cheese'd out with touristy crap and an eyesore of a highway on it, like Seattle's. It reminds me of my hometown (Chicago) more. No touristy BS, no "unique" things, no audacious plans. Just the water, a walkway, and some parks. THAT'S IT. I like it like that.

5. The old town seemed more intact and in better condition than Seattle's. Though that's not saying much ...

6. The food stands were f-ing awesome.

The only complaints I had were the bums urinating in absolutely every corner they could find, smelling up the MAX, and cursing and yelling in front of kids; the old district, especially near the Greyhound and Amtrak stations, seemed run down; and a totally useless location for a tourist information (Pioneer central square). It would make more sense for information booths in the Amtrak or Greyhound stations (or at least advertise it a bit more, it may be there, but I totally missed it).

I'll be coming back! Take care!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 10:45 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,935,593 times
Talk about damnation with faint praise...

Old 05-30-2011, 12:40 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,458,443 times
Pioneer Square is the best place for tourist information. It is in the heart of downtown. Many tourists do not get to the Greyhound or Amtrak Stations. And this location also serves residents of Portland for whom a straight shot to downtown is easier to get to than going to the outskirts of downtown.

Old 05-30-2011, 02:55 PM

63 posts, read 80,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
The only complaints I had were the bums urinating in absolutely every corner they could find, smelling up the MAX, and cursing and yelling in front of kids

I'll be coming back! Take care!

i've got the solution... each time you visit, take a few bums back to seattle with you

Old 05-30-2011, 03:01 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,909,219 times
I saw a lot of homeless kids in Seattle's downtown last year, as well as in PDX. I do love Seattle and enjoy visiting though we usually stay in Bellvue and drive to the city. You should check out our Rose Garden, Zoo and walk around the surrounding park. This s a smaller city than Seattle but we have very defined, walkable and charming neighborhoods!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: