Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 06:14 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,357,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
BINGO! That's it! Thanks so much. Now I will be able to fall asleep tonite.
I know how that feels! Glad I could help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 11:02 PM

682 posts, read 1,579,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Now that I live out of the Portland area (but still in Oregon), I'd LIKE to be able to keep up with the news but I can't stand the "Oregonlive" site. I use igoogle as an aggregator and I get the top 10 headlines from the Oregonian every morning and have to be happy with those, because trying to find anything on Oregonlive irritates me. I was surprised to follow a link to a newspaper in the Midwest somewhere and discover that there is someone else that uses the exact same software - why I cannot fathom.

The choices for places to get Oregon news online are very, very slim.
Back in the 80's/90's, The Oregonian's motto was "If it matters to Oregonians, it's in The Oregonian."

At the same time there were several big local interest stories that were completely missed by the local paper and they were scooped by papers in other cities (Packwood and/or Goldschmidt scandals included, if memory serves). So the running joke became:

"If it matters to Oregonians, it's in the Washington Post!"

Old 06-16-2011, 04:08 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,025,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Two hours ago I called to cancel and get the paper on Sunday only. They apparently don't so that anymore so I ended up with a Fri/Sat/Sun package ...
If you insist, they will give you a Sunday-only subscription. At least they did for us a few years ago.

Old 06-16-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
If you insist, they will give you a Sunday-only subscription. At least they did for us a few years ago.
Things were a lot different there a few years ago. Right now it's all about getting the most money for the least paper. I'm on day 2 of no paper and so far I've survived just fine.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:32 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,303,143 times
I cancelled The Oregonian when they made the bird-brained decision to CHARGE EXTRA for the TV Click insert, which I used faithfully. First you have to be a subscriber, THEN pay extra for The Click. I was never wild about The Oregonian, so the only editions I bought were Friday's (for the A&E) and Sunday's. But there's no way in Hell I was going to pay for that.

I don't like to read newspapers online (hate it, in fact); therefore, I don't keep up on local news so well anymore. I watch it on TV and call it good.

I do still buy the Friday paper to get that A&E insert.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:59 AM

892 posts, read 2,392,936 times
I'm a newcomer to Portland, but I can relate because the big local newspaper back where I grew up has fallen to exactly the same fate (horrible content management software which ruins their web site, overrun with ads, fired everyone good long ago, now filled with empty, pandering, and often downright inaccurate or unimportant "news"). The local TV stations back there are the same way.

For whatever its worth, since I came to Portland only knowing the Oregonian in its current incarnation, I gravitated towards other sources for news, events, and editorial content by default. I started voraciously absorbing each week of The Mercury and Willamette Week, and I got addicted to a bunch of local blogs about politics, news and events, music, and food (among other things). I think what really puts a nail in the Oregonian's coffin is that in addition to their becoming out of touch like so many aging and failing newspapers around the country, they also happen to be struggling to survive in a town that's absolutely saturated with other sources for information. It's sad, but instead of competing effectively they just seem to be foundering. So who knows, maybe when I've been in PDX long enough to call myself or my kids "locals" it might not even be around?

Old 06-17-2011, 09:41 AM

I agree. Newspapers are becoming dinosaurs. It's sad, but a fact of life. The internet changed everything and there's no going back. What used to be a big player in the market is now nothing more than an also ran. During the years I worked there I was very proud of the Oregonian, but the last few years, both before and after I left, were and are profoundly demoralizing and depressing. In the end, the almighty dollar and the greedy Newhouses prevailed at the expense of excellence and once valued employees. Pretty much what's left is a bunch of non revenue producing, crappy managers and completely miserable employees. It makes me both very sad and so grateful I was in a position to leave when I did.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:03 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,303,143 times
Personally, I think the decline of many newspapers is that they turned to molding the news rather than just report the news. They're full of propaganda and politics themselves, and The Oregonian is right up there. Internet news is no different.

I get more excitement reading the "nothing newspapers" from my out-of-state hometown because it is straight reporting whether it's small news or big news, with down-to-earth articles about the town and its people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland