Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 04:16 PM

218 posts, read 376,878 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! I didn't know if anyone still posts or even reads on this Blog but I figured what the heck right? I am orignally from California as well ( Southern) my whole life till I was 18, moved to Arizona, went back to california then back to Arizona in 2007. I have 2 kids under 10 and I am happily married, have my Bachelors in Business Admin. My husband and I really want to relocate to Oregon since I personally have friends there who keep telling me how wonderful it is with their kids there and the quality of life. I am going to visit in September and see if I fall in love haha. We wont be moving till June/July next year after I am done with my school. Every day I find things to read about Oregon, places to go, places not to go. I just love reading about it. I know this orginal post was before the big dip in the economy and when housing was HUGE and exspensive. I am looking on other cites for Apartments, housing, rentals ect and in Salem and surrounding areas the prices are fairly resonable for now right? hahah. I can't find much on the schools for my kids and if public or private or charter is a better option. I have found a few schools that are highly rated but thats by reviews not by educators. All the info is greatly appreciated. Have a great day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 04:48 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
If you choose your enrollment area wisely you don't need to put your children in private schools. Test results are online. I suppose if you settled in a rural town resources could be lacking, but otherwise you should be fine.

The huge challenge is employment. First nail down a job, then find a school you like and live in its enrollment areal.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:58 PM

Great information. I really appreciate it. I have an opportunity to transfer my position here in Phoenix to the Salem and or Hillsboro location. So I will continue to do my work the best that I can do and hope that there is an opening there at that time. No matter what I want to move to Oregon ( Portland Area and surrounding). With my qualifications and abilities I am certain I can find work. I have 3 jobs offers already but I can't move as soon as they need me too. I just don't know of any good sites to visit other than Craigslist for housing info and rentals. I will go for 30 days first to settle in then move the rest of my family. I have enough saved to make sure we can make it there. Im excited! Wish it was this year and not next.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:49 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,546,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
If you choose your enrollment area wisely you don't need to put your children in private schools. Test results are online. I suppose if you settled in a rural town resources could be lacking, but otherwise you should be fine.

The huge challenge is employment. First nail down a job, then find a school you like and live in its enrollment areal.

This is good advice.

Also, I'd add be sure to root for the Oregon Ducks and not the Oregon State Beavers.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:22 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
OK, my bias here: choose Hillsboro. There are strong schools in the vacinity. Houses are cheaper in Salem but I think your economic opportunities and your children's academic options are better there.

Last edited by Nell Plotts; 06-28-2011 at 08:40 PM..

Old 06-30-2011, 01:23 AM

63 posts, read 274,113 times
Portland is not great for kids. Most people moving here have none, and the city's money is spent on making way for hoards of childless young professionals. The Public schools in the city and suburbs are generally overpopulated, underfunded and segregated.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:27 AM

196 posts, read 428,765 times
Having grown up in AZ and living in Portland for 4 yrs, do not underestimate the impact of the weather. After trying to tough it out for 4yrs, I finally packed it up and moved to Charlotte. Portland has a lot to offer, but I think basing your opinion on a Sept visit is a bad idea. The summers are unbeatable, but a more realistic time to vist would be anytime Nov-Mar.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:50 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,113,478 times
My suggestion: buy rain gear, lots of it.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:52 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,442,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBletch-PortlandOR View Post
Portland is not great for kids. Most people moving here have none, and the city's money is spent on making way for hoards of childless young professionals. The Public schools in the city and suburbs are generally overpopulated, underfunded and segregated.
I would disagree with you, unless you want to add "Compared too xxxx city."

Old 06-30-2011, 09:11 AM

True, I have friends there who have lived there all their lives and even some who moved to AZ and went back. I gather as much info as possible to make the best choice. I know for sure arizona is not where I want to be or my family. We do go up north to Flagstaff alot for the snow and much cooler weather. I actually prefer it. I have lived in snow so I'm use to it. I am more interested in the out door activities when it is time to go outside, events, enviorment and people that surround me. In arizona YOU NEVER ( hardly ever) see anyone playing outside or bonding with friends or neighboors it's all about staying in doors, minding your own. I HATE when someone asks you " how are you doing" you said great how are you, and they don't say anthing back. Its so dead end over here. It's not where I want to be or my family. Is the end of September and october ( begining) a great time to actually enjoy a vacation and explore?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland