Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2011, 07:30 PM

64 posts, read 165,426 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this has been posted before, but I recently stumbled upon this youtube video about Portland. It's extremely negative and the comments get even more intense.

I'm pretty sure that whoever posted this must either be a horribly negative person themselves or just very unlucky to have such a terrible experience. Nevertheless, I'm curious if anyone else agrees with some of these sentiments.

Please watch and let me know what you think.

‪Portland, Oregon Sucks‬‏ - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 07:33 PM

Sorry, can't seem to be able to attach the link the right way. Just youtube the words "portland sucks" and it should be obvious which video I'm talking about.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:40 PM

1,457 posts, read 2,028,327 times
If it is the video all in text, then no its not accurate at all. The rain period of six to seven months is spot on...the rest is ridiculous ranting. Portland is a great city, great people as well.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:14 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Well people did get shanghaied from underground caves. That's true. I can also see a grain of truth is some of the other statements. But on the whole, I would say that this is just the rantings of someone who came here with very high expectations that were not realized. Things may never be good for him wherever he lives but he obviously couldn't fit in here.

Like most things, this should be taken with a grain of salt.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:17 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,455,954 times
Ha Ha, an outsiders look at Portland.
More truth than BS.
I'm glad I'm not a 20-30 something transplant looking for eden...

At least I understand what Portland used to be, what it actually is, and what it the people moving here are trying to make it become.

Dang Rats!

Old 08-01-2011, 09:22 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,543,983 times
What did Portland used to be? What is it actually, and what is it trying to become? I'm afraid to watch this video, I think I might skip it.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:43 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turquoise1 View Post
What did Portland used to be? What is it actually, and what is it trying to become? I'm afraid to watch this video, I think I might skip it.
IMHO, a unique town with very individualistic people. Think of the old TV show Northern Exposure. Very different look and very different feel. Although all the changes have not been all bad, it is not what it used to be. But then what is?

It has grown and changed and pretty much like any other city with it's own special traits and problems. I would say the worst thing is trying to earn a living here. The best is that there is beautiful scenery and if you enjoy the outdoors, it's a good place to be.

People like the video maker who come here thinking they are entering Nirvana are the most critical and the most disappointed. You have to decide for yourself if it is the place for you. By that I mean come here, stay here and don't believe everything you see, read or hear about Portland. You have to decide for yourself if it is for you.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
Ha Ha, an outsiders look at Portland.
More truth than BS.
I'm glad I'm not a 20-30 something transplant looking for eden...

At least I understand what Portland used to be, what it actually is, and what it the people moving here are trying to make it become.

Dang Rats!
lol, really? What exactly did you think was more true about it? Or BS?

As an outsider myself, I'm curious to know

Old 08-01-2011, 09:47 PM

And yes, it is the video that's all in text. But I'm fully aware that this should be taken with a grain of salt. No worries about that. It just caught my attention to see someone be THAT infuriated with a place.

Old 08-07-2011, 05:23 PM

33 posts, read 80,091 times
That was a little melodramatic. Someone's lonely and acting like a drama queen.

And for the record, Powell's is awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland