Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2007, 02:30 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,984,317 times

Advertisements

I can't see people moving in to a community where values and local politics would be in constant conflict. That's very important to most people.[/quote]

Here on these very boards are people saying they are leaving Portland because of the liberalism. I have to agree with OldTinType and also you, Supernova, by giving you my reasons for moving here:

First, believe it or not, the summer weather. And so far I have always loved the rain but we'll see how I feel about that after one winter.

Second, the beauty of the city and surrounding countryside, the excellent transportation and the fact that I can easily get to other wonderful places not so far away - San Francisco - Seattle, Vancouver,Victoria.

That being said, I would not move here if the mentality was conservative, because, after all, without friends, no place would be worth a damn, unless one is a hermit.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 02:44 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,984,317 times
Oh, and two other reasons: Affordability, and the not-so-pretty, rundown areas of Portland that are more interesting than pristine spaces (I like the options and contrast, depending on a mood of a day), with a variety of cultures, shops, eateries, etc.

Old 08-28-2007, 01:07 AM

23 posts, read 157,885 times
Has anyone considered that when the term "next pearl" is used for old town, it may simply be refering to the fact that old town is next to see investment in the area? Do any of you actually want to see drug dealers working corners and a few blocks that basically becomes a transient camp at night? Have any of you tried to park in old town after dark and then walk somewhere? It's really very frightening. The investment in old town by Mercy Corps and University of Oregon indicates that the area is going to be redesigned to be a part of town people might actually want to visit. I haven't heard any plans by the Naitos to turn old town into a modern high rise paradise like the pearl. It will most likely retain the old buildings but with some wonderful renovations.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:50 AM

147 posts, read 578,242 times
Take a look at the plan for old/Chinatown.

Ankrom Moisan Associated Architects Portfolio Project

The last time I went to old town in the evening was during the NEXT BIG thing event. We stayed until 9pm and did not see any drug dealers working. There were a lot of people for the event so it felt pretty safe.

I get the feeling that people who badmouth Old Town hasn't been there lately, it is definitely up and coming. The area is much nicer than 10 years ago. If all goes well, it will be a neighborhood where people of mixed income can live close in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland