Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 09:16 PM

65 posts, read 252,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernova7 View Post
I did that already. I trust local input more than statistics as those are often fixed.

I apologize in advance for this comment but to ask a statistical question (asking for averages) and then rejecting the statistics and asking for anecdotal information is either the height of confusion, stupidity or a little of both. Perhaps you could restate the question? Maybe ask... "What is your income and how much do you pay for housing?" or less intrusively, perhaps, "What percentage of your income do you spend on housing?" (I'm focusing on housing since this is what this thread has morphed into. Which by the way is what natural conversations do... they go off the original topic...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2007, 08:08 AM

290 posts, read 1,180,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelcat View Post

The great thing about Portland is that you still can find a decent house for under $350K within a 20 minute bike ride away or a 30 minute MAX ride.
I have no idea where someone can get a "decent" house in Portland for $350k. Maybe a condo?

Old 09-30-2007, 10:04 AM

65 posts, read 252,671 times
Maybe my long distance perusal of the real estate market in the last few years is way off but I've seen relatively small houses in "up and coming" areas for around that price. I suppose it's the definition of "decent" that'll be the issue of debate here... but definitely within a relatively short bike ride... and maybe I'll have to adjust that 350K to 450K (might have gotten a bit too enthusiastic trying to make a point )? Still a deal compared to those other metro areas if you ask me if you consider the traveling distances required in those other areas.

or maybe no adjustment is necessary... I don't know if this qualifies as and an advert but it's only to illustrate my point... 2 BR 34th just north of Division (a GREAT area by the way) for 349K... if you're curious it's listed as MLS# 7089420

Last edited by kelcat; 09-30-2007 at 10:19 AM.. Reason: added example...

Old 09-30-2007, 10:55 AM

2,430 posts, read 6,628,557 times
If you are willing to live in an up and coming area it shouldn't be a problem even at $250, but people who want to live in an established area will have to pay more. There are lots of cheaper areas. Poeple should check out Kenton because it's about to boom and kind of already is. Parts of SE are that way too, though Kenton is on the light rail.

Old 09-30-2007, 12:08 PM

920 posts, read 2,812,885 times
You can find some decent homes around SW Portland, for $350k or less. If you want a McMansion, you may be out of luck, but more modest ranch houses can be found in 97219 or 97225.

For example:

REALTOR.com: Find a Home - Listing Detail

Old 09-30-2007, 03:17 PM

I guess my issue has to do with schools. While we're searching for homes, we looked up the scores for all schools in Portland and the surrounding areas. Early on, we were focusing on exceptional schools, but now we changed and looking for exceptional elementary and 'strong' middle. The neighborhoods that meet the school rating criteria don't come close to $350k for a decent house (we need at least 3 bedrooms).

Yes, I know that the school's rating don't paint the entire picture. I actually agree, but for someone that lives half way across the country, this is the only thing I can use. We also work with our kids at home, so not just the school. However, I'm doing my best to get them into the best school possible. I know that private schools are an option. From what I can see in Portland, there is a fine balance between a school's rating and the price for homes in the area.

Old 09-30-2007, 03:50 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,273,545 times
have no idea where someone can get a "decent" house in Portland for $350k. Maybe a condo?

I have not ever been to Portland so I can not say anything about the areas , but I look at real estate listings everyday and I have seen nice homes in various sections of Portland for about this price. I mean, compared to San Francisco where you could not even buy a studio in the Mission District for under 500K.

Old 09-30-2007, 05:23 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,628,557 times
If you're talking about Portland though there is school choice--you can apply to go to any school in the district (with the exception of Lincoln HS). You get three choices and there are also charter schools that are not part of the three choice lottery and offer additional options. So there are options no matter where you live, if you don't like your neighborhood school. Also there is more than one school district in Portland. Many people seem to like David Douglass SD which covers part of outer SE Portland and houses are cheaper out there too. In the lottery this year I got into three different schools--one magnet school and two charters. That's in addition to my local school, which is also good in my case. There are lots of options.

[quote=

Yes, I know that the school's rating don't paint the entire picture. I actually agree, but for someone that lives half way across the country, this is the only thing I can use. We also work with our kids at home, so not just the school. However, I'm doing my best to get them into the best school possible. I know that private schools are an option. From what I can see in Portland, there is a fine balance between a school's rating and the price for homes in the area.[/QUOTE]

Old 09-30-2007, 05:59 PM

Checkout this article:

OregonLive.com: Everything Oregon

I've learned about school transfers by accident few months ago, and I think it is an interesting idea. However the article shows that it is not as simple as a transfer or an application..

Old 09-30-2007, 06:02 PM

Nancy... don't mean to be difficult, but can you please give me two examples where I can get a 3 bedroom house in a school district that has an exceptional elementary and an exceptional or strong middle for $350k or less? MLS numbers are ok. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: