Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2011, 12:43 AM

53 posts, read 213,806 times

Advertisements

Hey guys. I'll be relocating to Portland from San Francisco soon and I was wondering if Portland has alot of hole in the wall type places in terms of cafes, liquor stores, corner stores etc? San Francisco has a huge abundance of those type of places and I was wondering if Portland did as well? thanks in advance and if anybody could recommend a few names of places that'd be great!

It just makes it super convenient to be able to walk a few blocks and have a few places to pick up what I need then walk a few more blocks to come across even more

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 04:19 AM

358 posts, read 470,774 times
Yes Portland is full of walkable neighborhoods with funky little cafes, coffee shops, upstart businesses and mom and pops. Liquor stores are not on every corner but can be found close in most neighborhoods. Be forewarned liquor stores here close early BUT there is an ABUNDANCE of virtually any type of bar you care to imagine.

Hawthorne and Alphabet City(NW 21st and 23rd Aves.) are two of the larger and more well known areas but there are many more within the city. Here's a sampling.

portland ground: Multnomah Village in the Rain, Fat City Cafe, Books

portland ground: Multnomah Village in the Rain

Hawthorne/Belmont/S.E. : The Neat Sheet: Portland fashion + shopping + style news

Hawthorne, Portland, Oregon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Portland Attractions: NW 23rd | Hotel deLuxe Portland Blog (http://blog.hoteldeluxeportland.com/2008/12/26/if-you-just-can%E2%80%99t-take-another-trip-to-the-mall-here%E2%80%99s-an-idea/ - broken link)

NW 23rd Construction- Shops are open - Portland Real Estate | Portland Oregon Homes For Sale | Search the MLS

Hooray for Hollywood « Scootin' Old Skool

John L. Scott Real Estate - Sellwood, Portland, OR - Oregon

Portland's SE Belmont Street | 52perfectdays.com | Online Travel Magazine, Travel Articles and Ideas

VeganFabulous » Pearl District

Clinton | Portland Neighborhoods | Southeast Portland Homes

portland ground: Man reading at Cafe on Woodstock

Old 08-27-2011, 10:57 AM

63 posts, read 274,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayuso View Post
Hey guys. I'll be relocating to Portland from San Francisco soon and I was wondering if Portland has alot of hole in the wall type places in terms of cafes, liquor stores, corner stores etc? San Francisco has a huge abundance of those type of places and I was wondering if Portland did as well? thanks in advance and if anybody could recommend a few names of places that'd be great!

It just makes it super convenient to be able to walk a few blocks and have a few places to pick up what I need then walk a few more blocks to come across even more

Thanks again!

Yes. i live in North Portland, and lave lived in many areas of Portland, except downtown. A few things you should know: Oregon only has state run Liquor stores, many of which close at around 7pm, even though they are legally aloud to sell it until 10:00pm. On the other hand, beer is available everywhere till 2:30am. Very walkable town, every day things relatively easy to come by, but most things close super early, except for convenience stores(many people's first choice for buying beer.) Another law dictates that you cannot sell alcohol without also offering food, thus every bar is required to sell food for at least part of the day. Portland is an early dinner town, and most people are off the streets by 10pm on weekdays, so if you are a late night type, it can be frustrating, because very few places stay open past ten, much less 24 hours a day. I would say live downtown.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:44 AM

53 posts, read 213,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haley James View Post
Yes Portland is full of walkable neighborhoods with funky little cafes, coffee shops, upstart businesses and mom and pops. Liquor stores are not on every corner but can be found close in most neighborhoods. Be forewarned liquor stores here close early BUT there is an ABUNDANCE of virtually any type of bar you care to imagine.

Hawthorne and Alphabet City(NW 21st and 23rd Aves.) are two of the larger and more well known areas but there are many more within the city. Here's a sampling.

portland ground: Multnomah Village in the Rain, Fat City Cafe, Books

portland ground: Multnomah Village in the Rain

Hawthorne/Belmont/S.E. : The Neat Sheet: Portland fashion + shopping + style news

Hawthorne, Portland, Oregon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Portland Attractions: NW 23rd | Hotel deLuxe Portland Blog (http://blog.hoteldeluxeportland.com/2008/12/26/if-you-just-can%E2%80%99t-take-another-trip-to-the-mall-here%E2%80%99s-an-idea/ - broken link)

NW 23rd Construction- Shops are open - Portland Real Estate | Portland Oregon Homes For Sale | Search the MLS

Hooray for Hollywood « Scootin' Old Skool

John L. Scott Real Estate - Sellwood, Portland, OR - Oregon

Portland's SE Belmont Street | 52perfectdays.com | Online Travel Magazine, Travel Articles and Ideas

VeganFabulous » Pearl District

Clinton | Portland Neighborhoods | Southeast Portland Homes

portland ground: Man reading at Cafe on Woodstock

Wow, super informative and all those little places are just dying for me to check out! I love places like those, I think they've got character!

Especially love all the cafes, super nice to see locally run businesses rather than chain stuff. Thanks for the 2 awesome answers thus far!

In terms of corner markets do they have alot of these type of places?

http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/k6svZ...JO_zBcmHf4jR7Q

Old 08-30-2011, 06:05 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,354,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayuso View Post
Wow, super informative and all those little places are just dying for me to check out! I love places like those, I think they've got character!

Especially love all the cafes, super nice to see locally run businesses rather than chain stuff. Thanks for the 2 awesome answers thus far!

In terms of corner markets
do they have alot of these type of places?

Photos for Gino's Grocery Company | Yelp
If you are thinking of little stores like the bodegas in NYC, then no, we don't have a lot of those. We don't have as many of the high rise density neighborhoods as NY and San Francisco where bodega type markets flourish. We have some, to be sure, but not in abundance. I can't remember seeing any with fresh fruit and vegetables for sale as is common in NY. I wish we did.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:08 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,440,498 times
Belmont street has some small and unique little restaurants between around 32nd through maybe 45th or so. It's fun to just wander up and down the street to see what you can find. Another is Division street although the restaurants are fewer.

Fremont is another neighborhood that has great places to eat. If you like Italian, Amalfi's is a wonderful family owned restaurant that is my favorite outside of Chicago.

In between the eating places there are little stores and carts and in the nice weather, outside vendors.

I think though for hole in the wall Belmont is the street to go.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:53 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,437,074 times
Alberta is kind of like that too. It seems like I always see a new place to nosh everytime I go down there.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:46 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,633,586 times
"Liquor" can only be sold in state-managed liquor stores in Oregon, but grocery stores/gas stations may sell "beers" and "wines" between 7am and 2:30am.

This includes port and sake and some other alcoholic beverages that aren't classified as "liquors" for purposes of the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: