Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2011, 01:32 PM

11 posts, read 17,060 times

Advertisements

Good morning City Data community!

To start off, I'll give you a little background. I have been going to a CC for 2 years (about 30 credits) of mostly GE stuff with the hope of transferring to a nursing school, but that goal is looking 4+ years off - I can't go to school full time and work full time. In order to support myself I am working a full time minimum wage job (working on getting a second job) and am eating top ramen every night and driving on less then 1/4 of a tank of gas at pretty much all times. My mother was helping me pay some bills until she lost her job 4 months ago and I was doing fine living on my own with a little bit of help, but now it's gotten really tight. My other family doesn't have the money to help or support me so I'm on my own. I'm kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place....work or school? I need school to get a higher paying job but I can't afford to go to school and if I did go to school I wouldn't get an AA for another at least 2 years and that doesn't count for much and then I could apply for nursing school and get put on a massive wait list.

I was looking into local Practical Nurse programs (LPN). I absolutely love nursing/medical field and have volunteered as an EMT, but the job market is tough right now, and I don't have much practical experience so no one is willing to hire me. Additionally, if I have a LPN license I can do a LPN to BSN program (much shorter program that applies my current knowledge, less competition to get into) as well as having extra points to get into nursing school.

Anyone know about these programs? I know that they are at mostly for-profit colleges so it's going to be a.) high tuition b.) hard to get financing. My credit is decent, my fathers is excellent so he could possibly co-sign a loan. Would it be worth it to get a $15-25k loan? I've been doing some research on job listings at local hospitals, craigslist, monster, etc. etc and average hourly pay for a LPN with 0-1 yr experience is about $20-25 an hour in the Portland area, maybe more if i work in Urgent Care or Emergency Medicine (area that i absolutely love and would specialize in).

I was looking into Pioneer Pacific. They seem to have the most student oriented program and less "for profit, big corporation"-ish.

Any advice? Ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 12:21 PM

62 posts, read 122,005 times
If I were you, I would find a nursing board to post on to see the best way to reach your goal People who are currently in the profession would be the best to answer what school is the best and respected.

I say this because I have a family member who is a nurse and mentors students and potential students. It is through her i have heard of folks getting into massive debt and unable to find a job or totally hating the work / workload.

Good luck in reaching your goal

Old 09-21-2011, 12:33 PM

2 posts, read 3,538 times
Hello,

I am starting an LPN program in June at Concorde Career college in portland. I met with them last week and really liked the school/program. They offer a lot of hands on training and THEY GUARANTEE you a spot at walla walla university (based in portland) as a junior when you graduate, so after you earn your LPN in 13 months you will be a junior on your way to earn your bachelors in nursing

Old 09-21-2011, 08:30 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
I know of Concordia College in NE Portland and have no issues. This Walla Walla school is a new one for me.

Frankly I think you should contact one of the local community colleges and explore their programs in your field of interest. This would be Portland CC, Mt. Hood CC and the like. You will find that public higher education is as good and a lot less expensive than private schools whether they be profit or not for profit.

Old 09-23-2011, 12:32 PM

29 posts, read 80,622 times
I've been in nursing since 1978, and got my RN in 1982. Never regretted it, even on the bad days. I hope you love it even half as much as I do.

Once you obtain your license, no one will care what school you attended. Most RN's have associate degrees; a BSN is necessary in very few instances. Both associate degree and BSN RN's have the same license.

I believe all nursing programs in Oregon are articulated: LPN-to RN-to BSN. In addition, the program I attended at PCC enabled students to obtain a CNA certificate after attending 3 months of school, so many students worked as CNA's while attending school. I already had my CNA, and worked part-time while attending school part-time. I strongly encourage you to consider getting your CNA and working in the field, if you aren't already doing that.

I can't comment on the financing. I'm not organized enough to manage my own bills. I can say this, though: my entire nursing education (tuition and books) cost all of $2000. Nyah, nyah, nyah! ;D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: