Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2007, 03:28 PM

6 posts, read 25,053 times

Advertisements

Sherwood, Oregon was 18th on Money Magazine "Best Places to Live" for 2007.

Best Places to Live: Top 100 - Sherwood, Ore. (18) - Money Magazine

I'd like to know more about Sherwood.

I've read where the school system is excellent, and the city itself still has small-town flavor .... is this true ?

And how about commute times to Portland for employment.

Stores ? Restaurants ?

Thanks much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 03:50 PM

18 posts, read 114,630 times
It is looks like suburbia there. Many nice houses with target, albertsons, and a movie theater. There is an old town section but its not much. Also there is a nice library there. Commuting into Portland will take at least 50 minutes during rush hour. Also Tualatin Sherwood road has horrible traffic because many trucks use the road.

Old 08-22-2007, 04:13 PM

1,008 posts, read 4,025,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldLatrobe View Post
Sherwood, Oregon was 18th on Money Magazine "Best Places to Live" for 2007.

Best Places to Live: Top 100 - Sherwood, Ore. (18) - Money Magazine

I'd like to know more about Sherwood.

I've read where the school system is excellent, and the city itself still has small-town flavor .... is this true ?

And how about commute times to Portland for employment.

Stores ? Restaurants ?

Thanks much.
Sounds like a suburban wasteland. 50 minute commute to the city? I guess some people would like that, definitely NOT my cup of tea. Personally, I NEVER go by the "Best Places" ratings. They are very subjective and most often times skewed. The question to ask is BEST FOR WHO? My heaven could be your hell and vice versa. Most people want the same things it's just the atmosphere that varies per person. Good schools? No such thing. Trust me, I attended a highly acclaimed University in my younger days and it didn't impress me in the least. Spoiled rich white kids that don't know the meaning of labor. Living of off their parents' hefty bank accounts and so on.... I am convinced that the best schools are cheap to moderately priced, have a culturally diverse student body and situated in poor communities. Trust me, seeing how people live in that environment is the BEST motivator towards finding your purpose in life. The REAL education takes place outside of the classroom for within the walls of academia it's a political persuit for a piece of paper that's "supposed" to get you a "good" job, whatever "good" means.

Old 08-22-2007, 04:20 PM

216 posts, read 909,847 times
Sherwood is pretty conservative, with a great family feel. I love it.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:06 AM

143 posts, read 809,826 times
Since I live in Sherwood, I will respond, lol!

We personally think it is a great place to live. The only time it has taken 50 minutes to commute into Portland is when there has been an accident. Normally it takes my husband about 30 minutes to go from home to the north part of downtown. Tualatin-Sherwood road can be a nightmare, but most people who live here use the backroads which shaves off a lot of time.

Our old town is small, but there are so many good changes going on with it right now. The new library is the hub, and the area is a gathering spot for all ages.

Go to Snyder Park any evening or weekend, and it looks like it should be on the cover of a magazine. Sports games, practices, picnics, families playing, teens hanging out, couples walking...you name it. My husband and I were commenting the other night while up there that it is such a great place for everyone.

Old 08-23-2007, 12:06 PM

216 posts, read 909,847 times
life2short-
Sherwood was my first choice when moving up here last year. For some reason Sherwood gave me that fuzzy feeling of home that I loved. I kind of wish we ended up over there, shhh.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:37 PM

143 posts, read 809,826 times
Nature Girl--You definitely got the right feeling! Maybe time to move? LOL! Seriously, this town has so much going for it. I am always torn between not wanting to tell people about it, but also want to share. It is like living in a modern Mayberry.

Old 01-31-2009, 12:52 PM

1 posts, read 7,033 times
I also live in Sherwood, Oregon and I have to say that the schools and the sports and well......everything is amazing. I have lived here since I was 3 years old, and currently, I am almost 18. My father also lived in Sherwood back in the 70's and grew up here as well. Next year I will be going to OSU and I am going to have a hard time leaving this town. It is nice that there is only 1 high school because you get to see ALL of your friends. It is also nice where it is. 15 minutes from the River, 15 minutes from the mall, we have our own ice arena, 2 indoor soccer arenas, a movie theater, and YMCA all within about 5 minutes of each other. The school is very spirited and the athletics are always successful. This last fall, Soccer (Boys and Girls) and Football all won league and every team in fall went to state playoffs except for mens CC. The school was just remodeled and we are getting a brand new middle school and another brand new elementary school as well. To be completely honest when I am older I would love to move back here. Sherwood has so many things going for it right now and it is wonderful! This is why it is the 18th best place to live. :-)

Old 01-31-2009, 01:44 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,159,728 times
you're both right on! I ended up in Newberg and while I love it; it seems I spend a lot of time in Sherwood. I love Sherwood! When we buy a house, in about a year, we may very well end up doing so in Sherwood.Where is Snyder Park? and what is it?
Oh and as far as the Y in Sherwood- anyone here belong to it? If so-do you like it, is it affordable, amenities nice,etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifes2short View Post
Nature Girl--You definitely got the right feeling! Maybe time to move? LOL! Seriously, this town has so much going for it. I am always torn between not wanting to tell people about it, but also want to share. It is like living in a modern Mayberry.

Last edited by Élan vital; 01-31-2009 at 01:45 PM.. Reason: forgot

Old 01-31-2009, 11:42 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,708,684 times
Sherwood is a nice family friendly town but it can be a hassle too. Getting into Portland can be a problem, during rush hour tualitan-sherwood road and 99w can turn into a real parking lot. I don't think Sherwood is all that bad but I am not a big fan of houses that all pretty much look alike in some of the neighborhoods. I think its a good place for families but a bad place for people that like to spend a lot of time in Portland. Visiting there area is the only true way to find out if you will like it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland